Railroad Forums 

• End of the Newport Sub

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1600109  by CPF66

Per posts on Facebook, CP has more or less ended operations to Newport due to a lack of crews. By the sounds they are working out an agreement with VTR to service the remaining customers. I wouldn't be surprised to see VTR get the entire thing since it doesn't seem like CP has any interest in anything besides containers. The Millinocket Sub is being sold to MNR and I won't be surprised if CP sells the Bangor Sub off once CSX reopens the line to Mattawamkeag, considering they will only have GAC, Sprauge, and two propane customers left as online customers.
 #1600125  by BobbyT

If CP were to sell the Bangor Sub, I wonder if they'd put a paper barrier in place to prevent CSX from going after that traffic? I think there's actually 3 LPG customers around Hermon and isn't there also an agg or cement receiver right near the yard? There's also a big new liquid asphalt customer coming on line right at Northern Maine junction. It's not a ton of traffic, but it's mostly higher revenue tankcar business so it will be interesting to see what they do.
 #1600200  by fromway

CP has listed Searsport on all of its PR from the beginning of their takeover of the CMQ. I can't see them giving up on this port so quickly unless they don't want to fight all of the NIMBYS in Searsport. If CP can't get access to SJ with potash trains, I still think they will try to get some new facilities in Searsport. How much would it cost to dismantle the Eastport loading system and move it down the coast to Searport?
 #1602016  by CPF66

F74265A wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:31 am I would be very surprised if searsport line was sold. Port potential plus chemical traffic
But still, after CSX reopens the line to Mattawamkeag, thats only enough traffic to feed 2 jobs a week between BVJ and Searsport as well as a local at NMJ. It would make sense for CP to offer it up to Irving since the tar going to Bangor and most of the clay and chemicals coming out of Searsport go to Irving anyway.
Afterall, CP did give up operations on the Millinocket sub, which while it didn't have the same volume as the Bangor sub, it still had a respectable amount of interchange traffic from MNR, LPG traffic from a LPG dealer in the yard (which CP later refused to serve) as well as the two log load outs which shipped in the ball park of 20-50 cars of logs a week for MRL in Jackman, which is another customer CP left to dry.
 #1602017  by CPF66

fromway wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:27 am CP has listed Searsport on all of its PR from the beginning of their takeover of the CMQ. I can't see them giving up on this port so quickly unless they don't want to fight all of the NIMBYS in Searsport. If CP can't get access to SJ with potash trains, I still think they will try to get some new facilities in Searsport. How much would it cost to dismantle the Eastport loading system and move it down the coast to Searport?
I saw Searsport as being a tool to get the STB to approve the purchase of CMQ. CP would have received more flack had they stated that they wanted to dump everything except the Moosehead. Just look at the infrastructure upgrades CP has made on the former CP lines compared to the B&A. They put CWR in at Brownville Jct, while at Northern Maine Jct they removed more tracks to the point that it is hard to build trains there. Notice how CP got DOT approval to build a balloon track at Searsport prior to the takeover, which the intent was to have that complete in 1-2 years after the takeover. I believe since then, the project has been outright canceled by CP.
 #1607228  by NHV 669

It sounds like VRS has been running up to Richford to interchange with CP for the last few months, they're already switching the Newport customers.

CP apparently can't seem to hire any American crews to work the line south of the border.
 #1607233  by CPF66

Yet again, anyone who has been hired is shipped to Maine because they drove most of the CM&Q guys to Irving.
 #1607767  by NHV 669

Based on what I've read, that is a VRS crew contracted to run between Richford and Newport, even if it is still a CP train.
 #1614731  by NHV 669

Sounds like today's CP G24 has about 30 cars for VRS at Richford based on a sighting from a local observer. Traffic has apparently picked back up this month.