Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1601329  by Westbound31

NHN503 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:06 pm100% this.
I wouldn't even remotely consider going back as long as he's there. I mean even simple things are done backwards. They ran a Mk4, and are now out there stuffing ties...seriously come on now. Why spend thousands of dollars, to have a contractor tamp and surface to then have a crew of people with little to no experience go out and stuff ties and disrupt that surface? Oh and purchase relatively new equipment for that inexperienced crew to use.

TST is ties stone tamp, not tamp stone ties.
This is exactly what I mean. It blows my mind to see railroaders with years of experience canned or forced out to be replaced by employees with zero or non relevant experience. You spend thousands on surfacing and then go out and do that. But that’s the thing, Swirk doesn’t seem concerned about spending/financing.

To give an example, on average for a standard gauge steam locomotive, between crews, firing up, oil, water etc., you can expect to have an operating cost of right around $2,000 per day to run steam. In the past few weeks, we’ve seen 7470 placed mainly on display for “training” and for Swirk whistle blowing. If you’re not running revenue service with that locomotive then all you’re doing is eating the daily costs to run it.

And I’m curious as to what training is actually happening. Seems more to me that Swirk is just using it as an opportunity to blow the whistle and for Solomon to plant it in front of the radio stations that were at the depot yesterday. Other than that, she’s sitting in the yard blowing the safety every dozen or so minutes and then being put away. Then she gets fired up the next weekend and the process goes on. Again, anyone that knows steam boilers, doesn’t have to be a steam locomotive either but any steam boiler, knows that boilers expand a fair amount when fired and filled with steam pressure and contract when cooled down. There’s a lot of movement happening to that 101 year old boiler and the rivets holding it together. Back in 1921 boilers weren’t welded. Rivets hold the components of a boiler together at butt seams.

The rapid expanding and contracting of the boiler is what concerns me. When the guys from Maine are there I’m confident the boiler is in good care. But when they aren’t, I guarantee you she’ll be fired too quickly if she’s not already. I don’t know if the guys from Maine are the ones firing her on startup or not. The guys at the Colorado Railroad museum will start firing an engine on Thursday if it’s expected to be running on Saturday.

And to the comments on financing, if you look up Profile Mountain Holdings and Profile Mountain LLC on public records, you can see the whole financing picture. Like I said an equity loan was pulled against the property in mid-May for the amount of $200,000. I assume the new dome car but who knows with the way things are being purchased there now.
 #1601357  by CSRR573

Westbound31 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:40 pm Like I said an equity loan was pulled against the property in mid-May for the amount of $200,000. I assume the new dome car but who knows with the way things are being purchased there now.
Probably for some more busses or a plane or boat. Who knows. Also what ever happened to the generator they bought to make an HEP car for the notch train?
 #1601376  by NHN503

Westbound31 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:40 pm ... Like I said an equity loan was pulled against the property in mid-May for the amount of $200,000. I assume the new dome car but who knows with the way things are being purchased there now.
From what I had heard Thursday, the dome car price was $750,000. Plus whatever he spent on some old RBRX car and the Sailsbury Beach that he also reportedly bought recently.

I'm guessing the 200k was for the surfacing contractor and the new hyrail and the new to him MOW equipment I saw at Crawfords the other day.
 #1601383  by Westbound31

Sounds like those hairline cracks found in the trucks of 7470 could have been fixed professionally rather than canceling two railfan events and replacing the trucks with freight car trucks. If you look at their brochures now, they’re advertising the Notch train as a transcontinental streamlined experience. So it would seem that this whole stainless steel passenger equipment and non matching coaches is here to stay. It’s funny because I’ve heard Solomon use those exact words during the dozens of radio and tv interviews he’s been doing when advertising the notch train. Everything really is changing and it’s changing fast. Now that all the railroad guys are gone and have been replaced, it’s full steam ahead on the Swirkus Circus railroad. I wonder when the money will run out if it hasn’t already…
 #1601402  by ConwayScenic252

I was happy to hear the 5 chime was back on but all excitement was thrown away when I saw how low Swirk has it sound. It’s the first time I’ve ever considered what would happen in the event something major happened to #7470… I say ship it to Strasburg and keep it there, take the open air car if they aren’t going to use it, Strasburg has a few of those and they could use it on passenger service. Fits in well with #89 and #7312 there… sure Court, Paul, Russ, whoever would rather see it in use with its sisters in far away territory than with a bang-up job at Swirk’s Circus on rails. Starting to make me worried it would have a #2100 outcome…
 #1601413  by NHN503

MEC407 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:27 pm Jeeze... imagine what they could accomplish if they spent that kind of money on livable wages for their employees...
Ehhh maybe. There are still some real employee issues in this area right now that even if they bumped it to say the $15+ that it is in the Carroll/Belknap area right now that it wouldn't solve their staffing issues. We have a customer for us that is struggling to find and retain employees and they are starting at $32hr with a 3 on 4 off schedule. But that's for an economics forum!

I think the reputation is proceeding it, and no amount of money would get reasonable people to work there at this point. They could make me salary at 100K, and I wouldn't return.
 #1601435  by CSRR573

Maybe next year if they’re still operating and they show up, we can grill them at the Big E. Get a group big enough and they’ll have to answer us in person
 #1601454  by Jonathan

Do any of yall know if Swirk had been this bad at G&U or Pioneer Valley? I mean, before now, people have been praising him. Now it seems like hes changing things for the worse. Was that the case with pioneer valley and grafton and upton, or were they praising him at those places? Cause obviously this isn't the first railroad hes been involved with, and as previously stated, things are changing for the worst, presumably.

I can guarantee that IF CSRX DOES go bankrupt, there will be a group that tries to save the railroad from having the tracks ripped up and paved and becoming a rail trail. I can't see that happening, I cannot see a rail trail existing where the tracks are now.
 #1601476  by ConwayScenic252

I’m not sure about Swirk’s history… but if CSRX went bankrupt here’s what I think would happen to the engines:

#7470 would go to Strasburg, Downeast, or Steamtown
#501 would go to Downeast Scenic or Steamtown, most likely Downeast considering NESC would be happy to take her in for restoration
#4266/4268 would go to Downeast or another museum
#216 would go to a N&W museum, maybe VTM or steamtown?
#252 and #255 will go to Downeast or CSX
#573 goes CSX or steamtown…
#1751 Finger Lakes
#1741 would go with the twins
#23 would go to a railroad somewhere…

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.
 #1601503  by CSRR4266

Depends on which chapter of bankruptcy they would file. If equipment has to be liquidated, it would be seized by the banks and sold to highest bidder.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1601506  by NHV 669

Several of those units aren't owned by CSRX (4266/68, 1741), so there's no reason they'd go anywhere. Downeast has no need for all that power....

The state owns the tracks, why would they be ripped up if the operator goes belly up?
 #1601507  by Who

First off, the Conway Scenic is not going anywhere, they still have solid ridership, and their trains will be nearly sold out as usual come autumn, for years to come.
But to continue this ridiculousness, should the railroad go out of business, you would have to look at what caused it to go out of business. $200,000 in open line of credit is the weak point (as with any type of debt), you do not want to see that number grow. Should the railroad not be able to pay off their debts as agreed upon with their creditors, the creditors could place a lean on the equipment in question or even the railroad as a whole and cease what belongs to them. Worst case scenario the creditors would own the railroad and would sell it to the highest bidder possible, to make back their money. The railroad could be sold in whole (good) or parted out (bad) the creditors won't care either way, so long as they get their money back. Now it would never be that cut and dry because the bankruptcy courts would be involved but you get the drift. Now if the railroad went out of business because of low ridership, then the railroad would likely be shut down by ownership and the equipment and rail infrastructure (Conway Branch only) could be liquidated to the highest bidders. As for the 470 RR Club equipment, they would likely have to be move to Bartlett, and be temporarily stored there until they can find a new home.