Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1600847  by rcthompson04

Looking at the timing of the trains, I wonder if the timing is designed to ensure "Protects" are in place along the route. Ballparking the numbers, it looks like the first and second departures from the respective origination points would be between Altoona and Harrisburg at the same time. Is part of the deal a requirement that Amtrak maintains its own protects at Altoona and Pittsburgh?
 #1600854  by STrRedWolf

mcgrath618 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:27 pm If you were trying to catch the Pennsylvanian from BWI, you would have much more luck taking a train from BWI to PHL and catching the train to Pittsburgh there.
That's what I'm doing. In order to get a decent chance to make the connection and get in Pittsburgh early, I have to be at BWI at the crack of dawn, basically. Right now (in a few days actually) it'll be a 10:37a at BWI to get there by noon to catch the Pennsy at 12:42p.
 #1600926  by STrRedWolf

We discussed this in the ICT thread. Switching a lot of the trainsets to dual-mode (electric/diesel) with a double-end configuration will eliminate engine swaps and speed the train up. I can definitely see any day-trip train that uses the NEC for part of it's travels to switch to an ICT.
 #1601088  by STrRedWolf

So I’m on the rail again. 174 up and I’m on 43 now headed to Pittsburgh. I got a few convention attendees with me in the car I’m in (sadly, I know of one who had to reschedule as the convention requires a vaccination card, and he forgot his too late to recover).

174 was running a bit late (something going on around the Perryville bridge?) but I was able to grab a quick lunch to eat on the train from 30th Street Station before they called 43. No ticket check before the gate this time, they just let folks walk on down.

Still, there’s some track work to be done. There’s a definite vibration strong enough on the Keystone before Lancaster (I think) that F1 drivers would complain that the “porposing” is ruining their backs. Yes, these new seats are not comfortable.

No major train issues so far.
 #1601274  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:30 pm A picture of the card isn't enough?
I've got the ones for family in phone, in case needed.
Probably local & state restrictions. Anthrocon is running with limited staff yet had to implement a separated card check before registration. Fur The More in Crystal City, VA unified them.
 #1601276  by Gilbert B Norman

scratchyX1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:30 pm A picture of the card isn't enough
Mr. Scratchy, I'm not sure how this important point, albeit off-topic, arose.

Here, I can report first-hand that both the Chicago Theatre Alliance and the Chicago Symphony require patrons to have "the real deal" - i.e. your VAX card, and a photo ID, available for admission to their events.

Apparently, COVID is endemic even amongst Canis Lupus - or at least those that stand on hind legs :P

Now next month in Salzburg, the "flimsy and fraudable" CDC VAX card, along with Passport, will be needed to enter Festival events. Additionally, their tickets now are identified by name - and all three documents best match (don't need a visit with the AR-15 toting Polizei). Not sure what has given rise to this positive ID requirements; security in general, COVID, or too many fraudulent tickets circulating.

Apparently unrestricted transferability of public event tickets is coming to an end - at least over there! Will "over here" be far behind?

Finally, to conclude this off topic rambling, you ought to see an EU VAX card. First it is on Yellow stock (as was a WHO VAX card I still have from the "1960 Family Trip to Europe") and is certified by the medical facility administering the shot. Ours, where the anti-VAX crowd can "just go to Ebay" and get the (to them) "nonsense" taken care of, are just some kind of joke.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1601302  by RandallW

Are the digital cards, connected by QR code to a state registry, not being accepted anywhere (they have been built into the iPhone OS since 2020 and maybe into Android)?
 #1601380  by STrRedWolf

RandallW wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:08 am Are the digital cards, connected by QR code to a state registry, not being accepted anywhere (they have been built into the iPhone OS since 2020 and maybe into Android)?
Nope, it had to be the physical card. The staff of the convention was limited — for example, I was in their “Artist’s Alley” as a selling artist and that area’s staff was down from 15 people pre-pandemic to 5. The convention is largely volunteer run, and I doubt they had the funding for scanners.

They also allowed a negative PCR test within two days of the convention, and a volunteer testing organization helped with on-site testing.

That said, the return trip is back on Tuesday. Taking Monday to see the fireworks and just decompress with my (non-train) friend.

(BTW, I have three copies of my first novel for sale still. A small crop of the cover is in my profile pic)
 #1625070  by STrRedWolf

I’m actually posting this in Pittsburgh, the day after the convention. A few of us have already left on 42(3) and 30(2), but I’ll be leaving on 42(4).

Before, though… 43(29), first time in Business class… and I was expecting 2+1 seating. Instead, it’s regular day-trip coach, just arranged so that you’re among the first off the train.

The other thing is that in Pittsburgh, you have to go *downstairs* to exit instead of taking the top exit, which is a straight shot and gradual curve going down. A change over previous years.

Annoying at the very least.