Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1600240  by Gilbert B Norman

Again, let me inquire:

Is Chessie moving her power on to PAR just to let all concerned "there's a new girl in town", or was Timmy's power such junk?

Further, allow me to note that, first, the Chessie power shown in the photo Mr. Newpy submitted to the forum appears to be on FRA Class 4 passenger train track. It also looked mighty clean when compared with her "dirty stuff" that comes by here on run-throughs.

Somehow, it looks like a "PR Splash" to me.
 #1600249  by newpylong

They haven't really moved any power up other than those 3 four axles to evaluate up north and the 6 axle sets on M426/M427 because that's instant fuel savings and reliability improvements for their bread and butter road job.

Nothing PR related about it.
 #1600272  by QB 52.32

BandA wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:50 pm Since G&W owns property in Worcester that would make more sense if they have the room.... then again, Worcester might be more valuable to sell, lol.
G&W is selling the building that housed the P&W's offices, promoted for its re-development potential, lol.
 #1600323  by jwhite07

Mr. Norman - the photo that newpylong linked (which was posted to a well known railroad photo site) was located in Ayer, MA on a portion of mainline shared with the MBTA Fitchburg Line, thus the very good track condition.

While these units indeed look fairly good (I've noticed the GP40-2s CSX uses in local service in Massachusetts tend to be on the good side cosmetically!), it is clear that these units have not been fluffed up and spit shined for any kind of PR stunt - they might have been run through a wash rack a while ago but the road dirt on the trucks and other places indicates no special measures beyond that. If you go to the actual site that photo is posted on, you would find more photos by the same photographer of the same units, and one of the photos reveals that the paint on the MP15 is actually rather beat up and faded!

I have also heard that because CSX power is now running through to Portland on M427 and M426, they almost always have 400-series AC4400s leading because the 400s have cab signals compatible with the MBTA cab signals on the Fitchburg Line.
 #1600347  by neman2

What about Hillsboro? Would probably fry the geo equipment.

On another note today's M426 led by CSXT 486 and another GE had CSXT 8872, a rebuilt SD40-2 as third unit.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

#1600430  by hillsboyro

Haha Neman I'm with you! If they tried to do the Hillsborough branch the geo train would derail in Merrimack I'm sure.
 #1600612  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Trainguy, how about for the benefit of those not familiar with the area, where, if known, did the train originate, on what CSX/PAR line is it on, where is its destination, and where was this video taken.

Was the video taken pre or post closing?

That's a rather healthy train, BTW.

If the Videographer and Narrator is you, thanks for a job well done.
 #1600618  by NHV 669

Mr. Norman, it's the Q(now M) 427 that was previously a Worcester to Selkirk train, that now fully extends to originating on former PAR territory at Rigby Yard.

The video was taken at Burncoat Street in Worcester, as stated by the Narrator and the caption, and in September 2021 as stated in the video description also located within the caption/title.
 #1600622  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you, Mr. NHV

Grief, I hope that track is in better condition than it would appear with all the surrounding "vegatation". If that was the route of the "State of Maine", then I have ridden over such on several occasions - last of such during '59.

The Narrator, who seems well-informed, suggests that the train's consist was comprised of the traffic that Chessie received in interchange from PAR. I would presume that traffic being interchanged to PAS, was so handled at Ayer, or otherwise to the East of Worcester.
 #1600668  by BandA

Interesting comment about the invasive species, presumably bamboo infesting the row. Having sold or leased space for two High Tension Power Lines, is there still room to restore a second track? I assume this segment is owned by CSX not P&W (G&W). How many cars on that train? How many these days?
 #1600674  by newpylong

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:57 pm The Narrator, who seems well-informed, suggests that the train's consist was comprised of the traffic that Chessie received in interchange from PAR. I would presume that traffic being interchanged to PAS, was so handled at Ayer, or otherwise to the East of Worcester.
The majority of that train goes straight to Maine with minimal work along the way including from PAS. When GWI takes over PAS there should be no PAS traffic on the train as it will go all go out to Rotterdam.