Railroad Forums 

• Yard 21 - Somerville

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1544816  by bostontrainguy

This is to replace Yard 8 which has been taken for the MBTA Greenline Extension. It's almost all that's left in the area for car storage.
 #1596962  by FatNoah

Looks like the "yard" is getting some use. From my Orange Line commute this morning, I could see 20 cars (4 gondolas with the rest tankers and covered hoppers) on the track furthest from the OL tracks and 3 covered hoppers on the near track.
 #1596965  by stevefol

I believe it gets plenty of use to hold cars to/from Salem and Everett, since there is nowhere else to put them now. Probably at some point today BO-1 will make a trip up the NHML to Lawrence or Lowell. In the past BO-2 (nighttime) would often run them straight through in the early hours, but I haven't heard it running of late. I wonder if BO-2 is already dropped pre CSX merger.
 #1597035  by JacobKoppel

BO2 no longer runs. I have a feeling CSX will be able to consolidate the LA & BO locals even more.

I think the plan is to connect the Yard 10 lead to the NHML, that way trains can go right into Yard 21 from the NHML without going through Tower A.
 #1597048  by The EGE

Yard 10 lead was rebuilt and connected to the NHML as part of GLX. It's currently out of service (part is covered with gravel for GLX construction access) but that appears to be temporary.
 #1597050  by JacobKoppel

The rails actually end at the Gravel, I brought a shovel to look for that answer a few months ago. Once the GLX is done I am sure the gravel will be removed and the rest of the track will be put in.

I am curious on how CSX and MBTA will utilize this track, Once heard that the south leg of the wye at Yard 10 was troublesome for the 3 axle trucks on the MBTA MOW flat cars. That in turn could cause trouble for longer moves using Yard 10 as its easy for a stringline to happen.
Last edited by CRail on Thu May 05, 2022 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Do not use the "Quote" button as a "Reply" button.
 #1597073  by CRail

JacobKoppel wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:00 pm The rails actually end at the Gravel, I brought a shovel to look for that answer a few months ago. Once the GLX is done I am sure the gravel will be removed and the rest of the track will be put in.
I don't believe you have any business being there with a shovel. You probably ought to steer clear of railroad property lacking any credentials granting authority onto such.
 #1597090  by JacobKoppel

CRail, I appreciate your concern and looking out for MBTA but to clarify, I was with a guy from the MOW department, we remained west of the RWP De-rail at all times. Doing something like that without authorization and supervision is not a good idea at all. Furthermore, being at the end of Yard 10, you are right by CROCC Cobble Hill and the place it flooded with employees at all hours.

The use of Yard 21 will decline as CSX takes over. Was reading that CSX will eventually try to cut out of Boston based locals.
 #1600606  by newpylong

JacobKoppel wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:36 am The use of Yard 21 will decline as CSX takes over. Was reading that CSX will eventually try to cut out of Boston based locals.
Better get a new place to read from, neither of these are correct.
 #1600610  by JacobKoppel

I would have thought STB meetings and transcripts are a good place for info....

CSX has stated that they would like to try to eliminate some unnecessary jobs/crew bases within the first decade of acquiring PAR. For example, cutting out the BO local and using 1 Lawrance crew to bring the traffic to Boston and do the Boston work. That was just a plan. I should have said the use of yard 21 MAY decline over the years.
 #1600623  by newpylong

Pan Am already runs about as bare bones as you can and still provide kinda regular service. Lawrence is going to be CSX's main ex-PAR yard in Eastern MA as they decouple themselves from PAS in Ayer. They are still are going to need jobs to and from Somerville, Salem, Everett, the NH Route, etc. They still are going to need a place to switch in Somerville with Yard 8 gone. Could they operate more efficiently and knock a local off? Maybe... Not sure what you got out of the STB filings but from the horses mouth they have no intention of departing from the Boston freight scene on the North Side.
 #1600667  by BandA

Everett, Salem, and Somerville are going to continue to de-industrialize. The real estate is just too valuable.
 #1600700  by newpylong

When did this go from what CSX intends to do to land re-development? A planned reduction in service would be an effect of de-industrialization, not the cause at this point.