Railroad Forums 

• Green/Orange Line suspended due to Haymarket garage collapse

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1595349  by STrRedWolf

rethcir wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:34 pm Green Line service has resumed.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04/09/ ... nt-center/
This tells me one thing: The MBTA "Red Shirt" ambassadors?

They're really British Red Coats. Don't trust them!
 #1600413  by Adams_Umass_Boston

And we're are back...
https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/1540137 ... AjTXb2aHEQ

edited to add more.
https://www.universalhub.com/2022/when- ... it-pours-t
The T shut the Green and Orange Lines downtown again this evening after another "structural issue with the Government Center Garage."

Green Line service has been replaced by buses between Lechmere and Government Center. The Orange Line is shut between North Station and Back Bay, "until further notice," the T says.

Boston Police report portions of Congress Street, Surface Road, New Chardon Street and Sudbury Street will be shut to both motorists and pedestrians.
Last edited by CRail on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Fair use quote added
 #1600466  by BandA

News reports imply chaos, T not informing passengers until they reach the blockage, and that they were "surprised", despite the shutdown starting yesterday evening. Also the surrounding streets are blocked off making it harder to just walk or for the shuttle buses to work. They should have it down to a science since this is a repeating event...

Column water damage: If it is unrelated to the construction, but it is because of the garage, or if the column is there because of the garage, then it is on the garage owner. Can't they just weld in a couple of temporary crossovers? Green line between Haymarket & N. Station, and Orange Line between State & Haymarket (Adams remnants???) Maybe not - might be structural tunnel walls in the way.
 #1600525  by Disney Guy

For the most part the two Orange line tracks are on different levels from south of Chinatown to north of State. There is a stretch of matching level track at Downtown Crossing but the columns between the tracks have to help hold up the station platform ceiling as well as the top of the tunnel.

Green Line Extension can already reverse through the yard tracks north of North Station, which will permit operation from North Station to Union Sq. and Medford.

A question is whether equipment and tools and supplemental girders and beams can be moved down under Haymarket perhaps via one of the subway portals, and workmen willing to make repairs down there amidst the weakened column. As opposed to waiting until enough debris is removed from street level to offload rusted and therefore weakened tunnel roof and structure all the while working at street level (take longer?).
 #1600563  by BandA

They could, theoretically, run trains bidirectionally on both tracks between tufts medical and downtown crossing or state. Need extra station agents to direct passengers to the correct platform. Run two or three in one direction on one track while the other direction on the other track, then reverse.
 #1600579  by dieciduej

One thing that I don't understand is how come this severely corroded column wasn't found on the initial inspection when the original collapse happened. I'm not even sure if any demolition has happened since the accident.

I was over there on Friday when they were using MBTA buses for the North Station to Government Center shuttle and things were crowded but moving. But Saturday they were using Yankee for the shuttle service and that was a disaster in my view. For a one-stop shuttle highway coaches are the wrong vehicle to use, they take to long to load/unload, forget about wheelchairs or baby carriages. I look as 60' artics as the way to go, they'll swallow up the passengers and get them moving all be is slowly with all the traffic congestion in that area.
 #1600601  by Adams_Umass_Boston

dieciduej wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:01 am But Saturday they were using Yankee for the shuttle service and that was a disaster in my view.
I wonder if this is the effect of not having enough bus operators. They had been struggling to fill the ranks (not sure if that has been rectified). I agree with you for the 60' articulates. When they have been used in the Blue Line shuttles they were very effective.
 #1600655  by BandA

If i understand correctly, they have to brace or replace this failing column to support the garage, until the garage is removed, then they can remove the column. Then sink new columns for the replacement building!! As to why they didn't find it before, perhaps it isn't in the area that had the collapse?