Railroad Forums 

• Septa push pull overview

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1576677  by rcthompson04

west point wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:33 am Had a suspicion that there might have been power (voltage ) problems. That is one reason why I have questioned the lack of use of ACS-64s . Problem sections especially at far end of routes could be switched with the necessary phase breaks being at locations being converted to 60 HZ. If there are voltage problems then the 25 HZ system may be reaching limits ? It could just be not enough high voltage capacity ?
Is this a recent development? The ACS-64s have been running on the Reading side since 2018. Did the reduced service during Covid hide a problem on the Reading side?
 #1579793  by van2005ko

rcthompson04 wrote:Are the push pulls coming back this week?
We'll find out hopefully starting tomorrow or sometime this week at the latest.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

#1579863  by Silverliner II

rcthompson04 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:55 pm
west point wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:33 am Had a suspicion that there might have been power (voltage ) problems. That is one reason why I have questioned the lack of use of ACS-64s . Problem sections especially at far end of routes could be switched with the necessary phase breaks being at locations being converted to 60 HZ. If there are voltage problems then the 25 HZ system may be reaching limits ? It could just be not enough high voltage capacity ?
Is this a recent development? The ACS-64s have been running on the Reading side since 2018. Did the reduced service during Covid hide a problem on the Reading side?
Apparently, the problem was more a case of voltage fluctuation on the entire Reading side.... not just at the outer limits of the system. There had been issues even coming out of the phase break at times.

In any event, the situation seems to have been resolved, as several push-pull sets are set to resume service today, including one set on the West Trenton line. We'll see how it goes.
 #1580126  by Silverliner II

Six push-pull sets (all 6-car sets) are in the current weekday schedule rotation.
Here are the assigned trips; consult schedules for detailed times. As always, equipment is subject to change, based on crew and equipment availability.

Wilmington-Newark Line
AM
9213 (Temple U-Newark)
9204 (Newark-Temple U)

PM
9241 (Temple U-Newark)
9250 (Newark-Temple U)

West Trenton Line
AM
6365 (West Trenton-30th Street)

PM
6336 (30th Street-West Trenton)

Paoli-Thorndale Line
AM
9590 (Thorndale-Temple U)
9592 (Thorndale-Temple U)

PM
9593 (Temple U-Thorndale)
9595 (Temple U-Thorndale)

Trenton Line
AM
9701 (Temple U-Trenton)
1701 (Suburban Station-Trenton)
9742 (Trenton-Temple U)
9744 (Trenton-Temple U)

PM
9757 (Temple U-Trenton)**
9759 (Temple U-Trenton)
1756 (Trenton-Suburban Station)

** Train deadheads back to Philadelphia upon arrival at Trenton
 #1590898  by rcthompson04

Looks like SEPTA is running one set at the moment. 9590 in the AM and 1593 in the PM on the Paoli Thorndale Line. It seemed busier in the morning, but the evening train is quite light.
 #1593710  by van2005ko

Looks like asof this week, many of them have returned.

The other day, I've recorded the ride along 9591

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#1593711  by Silverliner II

van2005ko wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:52 am Looks like asof this week, many of them have returned.

The other day, I've recorded the ride along 9591

https://youtu.be/LdJAToTpi3c

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The West Trenton set has been back for a while now.
 #1600295  by HElliott

Looks like most of the push-pulls are not running. Checking the SEPTA Real Time, yesterday afternoon I saw only one, on Paoli-Thorndale, train #1593. Anybody know what happened?
 #1600390  by mcgrath618

HElliott wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:30 pm Looks like most of the push-pulls are not running. Checking the SEPTA Real Time, yesterday afternoon I saw only one, on Paoli-Thorndale, train #1593. Anybody know what happened?
Today I can confirm that the Wilmington and Media expresses had push-pulls.
 #1600403  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:19 pm
HElliott wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:30 pm Looks like most of the push-pulls are not running. Checking the SEPTA Real Time, yesterday afternoon I saw only one, on Paoli-Thorndale, train #1593. Anybody know what happened?
Today I can confirm that the Wilmington and Media expresses had push-pulls.
6 ran today (morning and afternoon). Yesterday and today two sets ran morning and afternoon on Paoli Thorndale.
I think some of the sets were pulled on Monday due to the holiday though.
 #1600476  by Silverliner II

I saw the West Trenton, Trenton, and both Thorndale sets roll on the afternoon of the 22nd while I was on the High Line with my train, doing a pickup of cars deep in my train. Missed seeing the Newark and Elwyn sets.
 #1611089  by rcthompson04

Is SEPTA having issues with the Sprinters now? My understanding is that one died out on the NEC two weeks ago and 9593 died tonight somewhere between the yard and Temple. I think the one a few weeks back led to the set with a Sprinter leading towards the Reading side for awhile.

I almost exclusively ride the push pull sets and they have been quite good since they started running again over a year ago.
 #1611199  by Silverliner II

rcthompson04 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:36 pm Is SEPTA having issues with the Sprinters now? My understanding is that one died out on the NEC two weeks ago and 9593 died tonight somewhere between the yard and Temple. I think the one a few weeks back led to the set with a Sprinter leading towards the Reading side for awhile.

I almost exclusively ride the push pull sets and they have been quite good since they started running again over a year ago.
I know 909 has had some compressor issues recently, but don't know which locomotives were involved in either the one on the NEC or tonight. Aside from that, no real issues, no.
 #1637851  by rcthompson04

9591 has died at least twice this week during the evening commute. Tonight it is blocking track 4 at Jefferson. On Tuesday night it died before even making it to Temple. I wasn’t in on Monday or Wednesday, but I heard it has had issues other days. Considering how many Sprinters are sitting around a bad engine should be easily swapped.