Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1598917  by JimBoylan

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:54 amBack in the late 1970s Amtrak had stored (two?) sets of UA Turbotrains at 30th Street Station for either future service or resale (NOT mentioned in the Wikipedia UA Turbotrain page) that were in bad condition and ended up being scrapped - no UA Turbotrains ended up being preserved for historical purposes in either the US or Canada in the end...MACTRAXX
Those 2 Amtrak trains had earlier been very visibly stored along U.S. 50 New York Ave. near Ivy City in the District of Columbia while bids were being solicited from the scrappers. They had to be moved away because too many congresscritters were asking when the new trains were going to be put into service. They had been lengthened with surplus Canadian cars when Via Rail Canada rearranged their sets. They eventually left 30th St. for Naporano Iron & Metals.
They still had roller curtain destination signs over some of the doorways while on display in Washington, but Mr. Naporaono said he didn't receive any of them.
 #1599085  by Fan Railer

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:59 am The Acela Is seem to be mostly hitting 150 at Princeton on the WB runs. EB trains are coming up a grade so most have only been hitting the 140s. It's certainly possible for EBs to hit 150, however.

When the new cat is finished at Hamilton there should be no problem getting them up to speed.
With CP Clark being so close to Princeton Junction, it comes down to the engineer's reaction time to receiving the speed upgrade and whether or not they have a good trainset. That said, when I was out there last Tuesday, at least 1 eastbound I confirmed clocked 149 mph, so yes it is possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26mLXAcicEk
 #1599086  by photobug56

JimBoylan wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:19 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:54 amBack in the late 1970s Amtrak had stored (two?) sets of UA Turbotrains at 30th Street Station for either future service or resale (NOT mentioned in the Wikipedia UA Turbotrain page) that were in bad condition and ended up being scrapped - no UA Turbotrains ended up being preserved for historical purposes in either the US or Canada in the end...MACTRAXX
Those 2 Amtrak trains had earlier been very visibly stored along U.S. 50 New York Ave. near Ivy City in the District of Columbia while bids were being solicited from the scrappers. They had to be moved away because too many congresscritters were asking when the new trains were going to be put into service. They had been lengthened with surplus Canadian cars when Via Rail Canada rearranged their sets. They eventually left 30th St. for Naporano Iron & Metals.
They still had roller curtain destination signs over some of the doorways while on display in Washington, but Mr. Naporaono said he didn't receive any of them.
IMO, it was a huge waste scrapping them. Yes, they needed upgrades, etc., but they fulfilled a need.
 #1600458  by Matt Johnson

Fan Railer wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:36 pm
With CP Clark being so close to Princeton Junction, it comes down to the engineer's reaction time to receiving the speed upgrade and whether or not they have a good trainset. That said, when I was out there last Tuesday, at least 1 eastbound I confirmed clocked 149 mph, so yes it is possible.
My estimate may be off, but I think it's in the ballpark:

3.05 seconds for the 664 ft length train to pass = 217.7 ft/sec *3600/5280 = 148.4 mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIJWOTyrlMA
 #1602396  by robelybasis

Trainset #4 is scheduled to depart Hornell Alstom Facility on Wednesday, July 20th 022. Unlike the previous trainsets, this set will not go through PA. It will be following Amtrak train 64 as an extra down the Mohawk from Buffalo to Albany, south over the Hudson Line down past Croton into Penn Station, from there it will change locomotives and be hauled down to Philly. Consist is 2 diesels + Pacific Bend crew car + Avelia Trainset
 #1602404  by planespotting

robelybasis wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:03 pm Trainset #4 is scheduled to depart Hornell Alstom Facility on Wednesday, July 20th 022. Unlike the previous trainsets, this set will not go through PA. It will be following Amtrak train 64 as an extra down the Mohawk from Buffalo to Albany, south over the Hudson Line down past Croton into Penn Station, from there it will change locomotives and be hauled down to Philly. Consist is 2 diesels + Pacific Bend crew car + Avelia Trainset
Thank you for sharing, robelybasis. That is a huge news scoop! Do you happen to know if it will be a Siemens ACS or a Genesis P42 hauling it down to Philly? I'm hoping P42 as it's been more than 10 years since I last saw one under the wires on the NEC in eastern PA/NJ.
 #1602421  by Railjunkie

robelybasis wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:31 pm Unknown at the moment. Its possible they would just use P32s the whole way.
We don't have enough dual modes to run the current service, I'm pretty sure they are not going to give up one for this extra move. I can see a P42 the whole trip.
Now I need to ask questions when I'm at work tomorrow, see if there is any paperwork on this equipment move.
 #1602452  by west point

There are many different ways that the AX=2 unit 4 will have the power set up. Once the pickup consist goes to the plant most set ups will become apparent. Arrival at or thru NYP is the next question. There is also the possibility that the direction of travel for this ferry trip can only be one way. If so the train could go on to SSY around the loop and change to an ACS-64 electric motor at SSY. Then proceed to PHL , Wilmington, or Bear?