Railroad Forums 

• High Speed Rail HSR (Houston - DFW Dallas Fort Worth) (FKA Texas Central )

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1595468  by frequentflyer

Hard to take these people seriously when no dirt has been moved. No wonder the land owners are fighting them, they do not come across as legit. And why swing for the moon with a Japanese styled system. Why not start out conventional? Like Brightline did. As a matter of fact, it would be nice if Brightline took over this project too.
 #1595474  by Silverliner5

frequentflyer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:14 pm Hard to take these people seriously when no dirt has been moved. No wonder the land owners are fighting them, they do not come across as legit. And why swing for the moon with a Japanese styled system. Why not start out conventional? Like Brightline did. As a matter of fact, it would be nice if Brightline took over this project too.
I agree they should of went the way how brightline did theirs and but I like the design of a Japanese styled railway in the USA but I always keep thinking that they should get biden, FRA, and that guy from the surface board to help them Texas Central or else they might have to relocate the line so they won't have to deal with these people who won't want to give up their land for a rail line, I just want to see high speed succeed in the USA instead of going through theses people that are trying to stall out the project and make it dead.
 #1595584  by frequentflyer

A couple points,

1. The way they treated the land owners is baffling.

2. Have your financing in gear before making a big marketing splash. Every time a big project is announced eyes roll and they should. It would be cheaper to use less exotic stuff. Unless Japan Government is willing to bankroll this I don't see the advantage to sticking with their system.
 #1595588  by eolesen

I personally think some of these backers were assuming that the government would step in and take it over, creating a gravy train.

When it comes to putting their own money at risk, it's shocking that they aren't quite as enthusiastic.
 #1595592  by scratchyX1

frequentflyer wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:02 pm A couple points,

1. The way they treated the land owners is baffling.

2. Have your financing in gear before making a big marketing splash. Every time a big project is announced eyes roll and they should. It would be cheaper to use less exotic stuff. Unless Japan Government is willing to bankroll this I don't see the advantage to sticking with their system.
Much like JNR trying to get maglev built on the east coast
 #1599673  by Jadebenn

I'm hearing that as of today, the executive team has resigned. Hard to read that as anything but the project being dead.

I have some thoughts on the matter, but most of them would be inappropriate for this forum. The sanitized version: It's unfortunate many Texas politicians who did not even have this project in their district decided to use it as a Bogeyman. Of course, it seems the project's decline really started during COVID.

I'll try and take solace in the fact that the EIS and FRA RPA should make any go at a round 3 on Texas HSR easier to pull off (I know Brightline has been eying this corridor), but it's still very bitter.
 #1599685  by frequentflyer

This has more to do with Texas Central not having their finances in order. They did not have the financing. Period. Enough politicians were behind it to get it down and over rule the rural politicians. But as time went by Texas Central was acting liking a ponzi scheme. Eventually you have to show your cards, and the fact the management team resigned says it all.

Blame the poor planning, never understood going the JNR route, instead of using European equipment. Texas Central just made it harder for the next project. Maybe Brightline will take it over.
 #1599688  by STrRedWolf

Jadebenn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:15 am I'm hearing that as of today, the executive team has resigned. Hard to read that as anything but the project being dead.

I have some thoughts on the matter, but most of them would be inappropriate for this forum. The sanitized version: It's unfortunate many Texas politicians who did not even have this project in their district decided to use it as a Bogeyman. Of course, it seems the project's decline really started during COVID.

I'll try and take solace in the fact that the EIS and FRA RPA should make any go at a round 3 on Texas HSR easier to pull off (I know Brightline has been eying this corridor), but it's still very bitter.
I can see Brightline being able to pull it off because they're an established rail road, thus getting around that legal restriction. But still... I've come to realize that Texas politicians like to mess with Texas, and that's a shooting offense.
 #1599689  by eolesen

State and local politicians may have been against it, but the money was never there, and I still think the original intent of the deal was to pretend it was private until it could be bailed out by Hillary.

As late as last year they were still counting on Federal loans vs. Private financing.... (https://www.rtands.com/track-constructi ... ix-months/)

And now, I'll guess that dreams of private money have now dried up due to inflation and recessionary fears, or the interest rates turn this deal even more cash negative.

I guess if you want to blame politicians, blame Washington for flooding the economy with "free" money for the past 24 months...

And thankfully, the Courts protected the landowners... Nobody seems to have involuntarily their farmland to a boondoggle which seemingly has gone "poof".....
Last edited by eolesen on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1599715  by Jadebenn

Can't agree with your conclusion, but I do agree that the private interest is just not going to be there without at least partial federal backing - and even that probably wouldn't even be enough in this economy.

In regards to the choice of JR: I think there may have been an understanding with the Shinzo Abe government in regards to seed funding. My guess is the paperwork and land acquisition dragged on too long and now the new guy isn't interested.
 #1599729  by Gilbert B Norman

eolesen wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:32 am State and local politicians may have been against it, but the money was never there, and I still think the original intent of the deal was to pretend it was private until it could be bailed out by Hillary.
Mr. Olesen, expect same with Brightline; except substitute Ron for Hillary.
 #1599737  by scratchyX1

Jadebenn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:59 pm Can't agree with your conclusion, but I do agree that the private interest is just not going to be there without at least partial federal backing - and even that probably wouldn't even be enough in this economy.

In regards to the choice of JR: I think there may have been an understanding with the Shinzo Abe government in regards to seed funding. My guess is the paperwork and land acquisition dragged on too long and now the new guy isn't interested.
Can't help but wonder if the east coast maglev wouldn't also be in same boat.
 #1599758  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:11 pm Can't help but wonder if the east coast maglev wouldn't also be in same boat.
Different boat, but it's tacking very close. The money is "there" but the routing is horrible (end points kill existing infrastructure, most of the line is underground) and ticketing price is 5 times MARC pricing.
 #1599775  by eolesen

STrRedWolf wrote:
scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:11 pm Can't help but wonder if the east coast maglev wouldn't also be in same boat.
Different boat, but it's tacking very close. The money is "there" but the routing is horrible (end points kill existing infrastructure, most of the line is underground) and ticketing price is 5 times MARC pricing.
No, the money for that boondoggle was never there either. People probably thought Elon would pay for it... he's a smart man to walk away.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk