Railroad Forums 

• Station Developments

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1598079  by STrRedWolf

Bob Roberts wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:04 pm I am not suggesting this will bear anymore fruit than any of the other dozens of new Atlanta station discussions but an Atlanta city councilperson is pushing for the developer of Centennial Yards at the Gulch to include an Amtrak station as part of the development.

The article is paywalled but it appears the city has already payed out subsidies for this project and this council member would like the station to be added to the developers to do list retroactively.

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-news/a ... UXGEVJYQE/
From the article:
As construction continues at the swath of land known as the “Gulch” downtown, one Atlanta city councilman is encouraging Amtrak and developers to consider building a train hub on the site.

Located near State Farm Arena and Mercedes Benz Stadium, the Gulch is currently a sea of parking lots and rail lines below street level. Developers from the CIM Group plan to turn the land into “Centennial Yards,” a $5 billion project with retail, food, office, housing and entertainment options.

Councilman Jason Dozier, who was elected last year and represents the area, introduced a resolution recently urging Amtrak and CIM to consider the possibility of building a rail hub there as Amtrak considers expansion plans in the Southeast.
Here's some photos and maps of the area: Google Maps Sat view OpenStreetMap

Okay, I see some operational issues here. I mean, that station's location is good: numerous transfer points and you may even get some regional rail here. But... well, look at the routing for the Crescent and the current station now. Well north of The Gulch and no way to get down there without a major reverse move...

...unless you tunnel under the Beltline, which looks like a rail-to-trail project. Tunnel it, because folks will object to the trail going away. You come back up at the Huxley yard east of the King Memorial MARTA station. That cuts the reverse move time by a lot and sets you up for a future improvement where you curve under State Farm Arena.

The question now is, will these politicians fund it? (not bloody likely)
 #1598081  by Gilbert B Norman

From Hyatt Regency Old Greenwich CT--

I could not get into my room until 3P, so I had an hour to kill (my Sister "naps"), so I hung out at Riverside Station.

Two Regionals and one Acela passed (plus MNR). All told, while clean, both Amfleets and Acela "look tired".

Yes, replacement equipment for both is on order; but Acela Aveila is already a year late. That the replacement Regional equipment has all this esoteric battery powered stuff, anyone care to place their bets that will be in revenue service on schedule?
 #1598113  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:25 pm From Hyatt Regency Old Greenwich CT--

I could not get into my room until 3P, so I had an hour to kill (my Sister "naps"), so I hung out at Riverside Station.

Two Regionals and one Acela passed (plus MNR). All told, while clean, both Amfleets and Acela "look tired".

Yes, replacement equipment for both is on order; but Acela Aveila is already a year late. That the replacement Regional equipment has all this esoteric battery powered stuff, anyone care to place their bets that will be in revenue service on schedule?

I have five and change till parole. I am with you Mr Norman I do not think I will see any of it. Better chance perhaps of seeing the start of construction of a new LAB bridge over the Hudson or the return of food service to all Empire Service trains.
 #1598128  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:25 pm From Hyatt Regency Old Greenwich CT--

No bet. Double the estimate at least. I mean, how much did the Viewliner II's blew their deadline?
 #1598339  by R36 Combine Coach

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:02 pm No bet. Double the estimate at least. I mean, how much did the Viewliner II's blew their deadline?
Only the baggage cars came on time (first delivered). Since all Viewliners are modular shells, this suggests the
interior work for the sleepers and diners was involved with the delay.
 #1598359  by MattW

Another option for Atlanta would be to reroute the Crescent via the A&WP through Montgomery and Mobile. It might even be a faster route to NOL than the current route. Birmingham could be served by a stub train as part of the Connect plan, or the Crescent could even split in Atlanta and the rear section run to Dallas on the existing rout until Meridian.
 #1598373  by STrRedWolf

MattW wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:19 am Another option for Atlanta would be to reroute the Crescent via the A&WP through Montgomery and Mobile. It might even be a faster route to NOL than the current route. Birmingham could be served by a stub train as part of the Connect plan, or the Crescent could even split in Atlanta and the rear section run to Dallas on the existing rout until Meridian.
Well, if you reroute that section, you're basically handing the train over to CSX's dispatchers, missing 8 stations... and you're going to miss hearing station masters call out trains to Tuscaloosa.

I can see a Dallas-Shreveport-Monroe-Jackson-Meridian-Montgomery-Lagrange-Atlanta shuttle, though.
 #1598400  by R36 Combine Coach

MattW wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:19 am The Crescent could even split in Atlanta and the rear section run to Dallas on the existing route until Meridian.
This was in the 2002 travel planner brochure - the through "Crescent Star" NYP to Dallas, with service to begin at
a later date.
 #1598458  by MattW

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:55 pm
MattW wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:19 am Another option for Atlanta would be to reroute the Crescent via the A&WP through Montgomery and Mobile. It might even be a faster route to NOL than the current route. Birmingham could be served by a stub train as part of the Connect plan, or the Crescent could even split in Atlanta and the rear section run to Dallas on the existing rout until Meridian.
Well, if you reroute that section, you're basically handing the train over to CSX's dispatchers, missing 8 stations... and you're going to miss hearing station masters call out trains to Tuscaloosa.

I can see a Dallas-Shreveport-Monroe-Jackson-Meridian-Montgomery-Lagrange-Atlanta shuttle, though.
It's not like NS's dispatching is some kind of paragon of efficiency. All the schedule changes did to "improve reliability" is make a late train later. The CSX line at least to LaGrange isn't used nearly as much as it was unlike the NS mainline through Alabama, and it's a straighter, shorter route. LaGrange might be an issue as that's where the Lineville crosses the A&WP and the Lineville is now the direct route between Chicago and Florida for CSX, and I don't know what Mobile-Montgomery looks like traffic-wise. Yes, you would lose a number of cities, but gain a few, including Montgomery and Mobile. Atlanta really has very little southbound traffic, not a lot of people want to go all the way to New Orleans. But a shorter, possibly faster route, that's more reliable could expand that market, as well as opening up the Atlanta-Mobile/Gulfport market which might be as big or bigger than NOL.
 #1598462  by west point

Matt: In legacy days the timetable times by Mobile or Birmingham were within minutes of each route. You are correct about the LaGrange problem. Just today that 2-1/2 mile common 2 main tracks were jammed up trying to get thru there. Other times there is no problem. The Lineville sub is busy. Have wondered if it also responsible for Crescent's delays Crossing it in BHM.

The Lineville sub is very slow and crooked and slow thru LaGrange.
 #1598464  by Gilbert B Norman

MattW wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:19 am Another option for Atlanta would be to reroute the Crescent via the A&WP through Montgomery and Mobile.
Aha, Mr. Matt W. Return the current Amtrak varietal of The Crescent to THE Crescent.

By the time I ever got to lay eyes upon such during Oct '68 at Newnan GA (railfanning; I once did such), such was a Coach only connection with the Southern Crescent at Atlanta Terminal Station.

Mr. West Point should be pleased to learn of your suggestion; not sure what Chessie will think of it.
 #1598467  by Maverickstation1

A happy Station Development to report, is that Back Bay Station in once again staffed.
I don't know when this became effective, but while walking through the station on Friday, there were (3) Amtrak employees on. 1 each at the 2 window positions, and
the third was on the floor offering directions and assistance. At first I thought that perhaps this was for Memorial Day Weekend, but they confirmed this is permanent.
Given that our convention and tourism are up, this was a unexpected, and smart move on Amtrak's part.

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/bby
 #1598514  by BandA

Did the MBTA fix the air quality problem at BBY? As a refresher, poor and malfunctioning venting of diesel exhaust is why Amtrak bugged out.
 #1598530  by Maverickstation1

BandA wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:57 pm Did the MBTA fix the air quality problem at BBY? As a refresher, poor and malfunctioning venting of diesel exhaust is why Amtrak bugged out.
Yes, that was completed awhile ago, when I was in there on Friday there was no trace of diesel exhaust in the station.

Ken
 #1598567  by daybeers

I don't know what you're talking about; when I was on an Acela on Friday with the doors open for maybe a minute, the diesel exhaust floated in.