Railroad Forums 

• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1596487  by pablo

I don't know how many old heads are still around, but that chapter of the NRHS was fammmmmmous for disfunction, and not letting other people have any sort of access to their 1:1 scale train toys. And here we are. I'm quite certain most of those people who were roadblocks are long dead.
 #1597393  by nessman

Not looking good. Hope is not a plan.

https://spotlightnews.com/towns/bethleh ... under-way/

The museum, the port and others devoted to the project are working together to find a solution that works for all involved. One option is to use side-arm bulldozers that would lift up the four corners of each locomotive and lift the body from its frame. The company the museum is seeking to contract will supply two of the tractors, but four are needed to move both locomotives on trucks.

The property is also covered in coal ash that makes the ground soft. This poses a problem for the tractors because they may sink when carrying the 228,000 – 285,000 pound locomotives. Without ground support, there isn’t a guarantee the tractors would make it to the locomotives themselves let alone lift and move them away from the rails.

Another proposal was to pave a road into the site. However, the sponsors of the moving of the locomotives have said that they are not going to build a road on port property because of the cost. Proving another challenge to the process.

“We’re banking on (the trucking company, the port and PSEG) being able to come together and say ‘yeah. we’re going to pick them up and move them here,’ and we can get them out,” said Paul Marsh, a Glenmont train enthusiast who has worked on moving the locomotives for over 30 years.

The port plans on moving to the next phase of development by May 1 and the locomotives have to be moved one way or another. The window for a solution is now closing, but those working on the project are committed to getting it done.

“The port cannot have any sort of delay and we can’t be the source of that delay,” Madyda said. “We’re still working towards the goal of saving two locomotives.”
 #1597718  by Sir Ray

The port plans on moving to the next phase of development by May 1
Well, since May 1, 2022 has come and gone several weeks ago, I am guessing things are still quiet on the salvage (er, preservation) front. I am also thinking things will probably move somewhat fast (in relative terms, of course) when the power company (and the state) say time to go. I remain skeptical anything much is going to happen that posters in this thread will like (as to me, after seeing the sorry state of the equipment in that Urban Ex video I posted several pages back, I still believe much remains a lost cause (and not a particularly noble one - most of that junk should be prepped for its farewell trip out in salvage dumpsters) As for the T motor, it seems no others have been preserved, so perhaps concentrate on spending the limited money on that one, while apparently there are 2 other preserved S motors around so...eh, you can't save everything).

Heh, when was it, 4 or so years ago, when people in this thread were discussing how to strengthen the rail bridge across Normans Kill to move the equipment out, several months after the bridge had already collapsed. :P
 #1597764  by nessman

They've already written off the U-boat and RS-3 so they'll likely be scrapped on site... not sure about the passenger cars but my guess is those will be scrapped too. Focus is on the getting S and T motors out of there... but the window to move them out of there is getting smaller and smaller with each passing day.

No updates from the Danbury's RR museum FB page in 4 weeks.
 #1597850  by Littlefoot14

The town of Bethlehem planning board unanimously approved the wind mill factory project yesterday, and in the comment sections several people mentioned how they had clear cut the forest along Route 144 already.

If this is true, I’m wondering if it might provide the best view from a public roadway that the general public has had of these locomotives in decades.

If the forestry work is indeed true, it’s very obviously site preparation. I know this has been said for (literally) 15 years now, but if that’s truly the case then the hour glass is probably starting to look really empty in terms of seeing these locomotives be relocated one way or another much sooner than later. I’m wondering if the tree removal that the public is seeing is perhaps site work to remove the locomotives and not necessarily breaking ground on the factory? Purely speculation as I have never visited the area and unsure where the tree removal is relative to the locomotives.

Is there someone local here that could drive past and clarify for us? I live a few hours north and plan on driving down this weekend, however if there isn’t anything to see I’d appreciate saving the time and fuel.

Side note, for those that have been to the site, is there anything that would prohibit a drone from being able to photograph the locomotives? Using satellite maps it appears the trees block them well, and that parking may be an issue, but other than the power lines it doesn’t appear to be any obstacles to avoid. There isn’t any flight restrictions on the FAA maps published for drone pilots.
 #1597855  by BR&P

I mentioned this before but will again. If the things can't be brought out whole, they will be scrapped there. So if the scrappers can come in and cut pieces, why can't pieces be cut in such a way they could later be reassembled? Somebody has to be able to get TO the units to scrap them, and I doubt the pieces are going to be hand-carried away. They will be driving trucks and roll-on bins up to the site somehow.

I would think that with some planning and some volunteers, various parts could be removed and taken away, to the point the remainder could be moved and loaded onto something. Kind of late in the game now but surely somebody is looking at this angle.
 #1598298  by Littlefoot14

Is anyone that’s still involved on this project still on this forum? When I was there last week things down there looked very different from the last set of photos I saw from there. Before I go posting any photos, I’d like to filter them through those involved with this project so I don’t go leaking anything and/or risk spoiling any plans. If anyone involved with these locomotives could PM me that would be much appreciated.

And before anyone panics, all 4 locomotives and all 4 passenger cars are still in one piece.
 #1598316  by nessman

What's there to leak or spoil? It's pictures of abandoned locomotives and cars. The passenger cars, RS-3 and U25 are all going to be scrapped on site. If the Danbury folks can't solidify a plan soon, the S and T motors are going to be scrapped as well.
 #1598325  by Littlefoot14

The locomotives are no longer in the woods, the land around them is completely clear cut, and a very obvious effort has been made to make access for heavy equipment right next to the locomotives. When someone tells me it’s okay to post photographs I will, either a moderator or someone that is working on this project, but for now I don’t want there to be any chance what so ever of me ruining anything with these.
 #1598332  by nessman

Littlefoot14 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:06 pm The locomotives are no longer in the woods, the land around them is completely clear cut, and a very obvious effort has been made to make access for heavy equipment right next to the locomotives. When someone tells me it’s okay to post photographs I will, either a moderator or someone that is working on this project, but for now I don’t want there to be any chance what so ever of me ruining anything with these.
What's there to ruin?