Railroad Forums 

• Metro on schedule to restore 7000-series railcars in late summer

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1597905  by davinp

Metro is on schedule to restore the 7000-series railcars in late summer.

This week, Metro installed the first automated inspection system to test wheelsets of the 7000-series railcars in real-time. The schedule to restore the fleet to passenger service later this summer remains on time.

With the first installation now complete, engineers will begin configuration, testing, and commissioning of the system.

https://www.wmata.com/about/news/7000-s ... eJCHw1sWxo
 #1598007  by JDC

This caught my attention:

"To date, the investigation [into the derailment] has found no evidence of failures related to maintenance or manufacturing of the equipment," meaning the wheelsets. What?
 #1598108  by Sand Box John

JDC
This caught my attention:

"To date, the investigation [into the derailment] has found no evidence of failures related to maintenance or manufacturing of the equipment," meaning the wheelsets. What?

Caught your attention, hell it made me shake my head. More double speak we get from WMATA media relations.
 #1598256  by west point

If WAMATA announces no defects in wheel sets it leaves passengers to wonder if another unknown defect caused the derailment. If it is the wheel sets then telling the public is in everyone's best interest. A known problem can be seen to be eventually fixed. BOS MTA quickly posted that the Orange line derailment was a bolt not properly installed. All other cars did not have the problem.
 #1599785  by YOLO

From Adam Tuss

Metro is in the “final review” to get the first set of 8 car trains back out on the tracks, per sources. An announcement in the coming days. This means a total of 64 cars will come back first

These railcars that do come back will have to be out through much more intense monitoring and inspections. Metro still doesn’t have the root cause for why the wheels on some of the trains were pushing outward
 #1601841  by JDC

The 7000-series railcars that have been returned to service have been pulled from service twice now due to a data backlog and then the need for adjusted daily inspections. https://wjla.com/news/local/metro-7000- ... wser-wmata. No end in sight to this mess it seems.
 #1606718  by Sand Box John

Remember all of those #6 and #8 turnouts that were upgraded to guarded turnouts? That was done because the 5k cars were prone to derail on those turnouts. It is also why all of the turnouts that would have been #8 on the On the Blue line extension to Largo and the Silver line Branch are #10. The new doubled crossover north of the Potomac Yard station was also installed with #10.