Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1598194  by Bracdude181

Hello everyone! Since Chesapeake and Delaware has created the Delaware and Raritan River Railroad to operate the Southern Secondary, Tom’s River, and Freehold Industrial Tracks, I have created a topic where we can discuss this operation. Report trains when they start running, talk about improvements when they occur, etc.

Will be interesting to see what happens to these lines going forward…
 #1598195  by Bracdude181

Farmingdale to Freehold probably won’t be for a while. Whole lotta work to do there and who knows when the work will even kick off.

I have created a new topic regarding this new operation. We can discuss them there and continue to speculate here once operations begin a few weeks from now.
 #1598196  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:58 pm Hello everyone! Since Chesapeake and Delaware has created the Delaware and Raritan River Railroad to operate the Southern Secondary, Tom’s River, and Freehold Industrial Tracks, I have created a topic where we can discuss this operation. Report trains when they start running, talk about improvements when they occur, etc.

Will be interesting to see what happens to these lines going forward…
Very interesting they created a separate rail entity to run the lines. What will their engine liveries look like?
 #1598198  by Bracdude181

The majority of Chesapeake and Delaware engines are black with the bottom painted grey. They usually say Chesapeake in Delaware on the side and have either DRRV or BDRV initials underneath the number. Some engines also have white stripes on the front and back. 5303 and 5304 are still in NS paint. They just painted over the NS logos.
 #1598204  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:25 pm Speaking of speculation, can’t say I was expecting them to get to Toms River Industrial track too. Any idea what they might be doing with that?
The only thing I can think of is something to do with Ciba-Geigy? Maybe something will end up going there, but most of it is now solar panels. There's not much business on that line, if any, outside of a future large operation at Ciba-Geigy that would justify fixing up those tracks and operating them. The lumber yard is still there, but it seems like the siding they had is long gone now. That would be a lot of money to put in a siding that probably could barely hold half of Woodhaven's can hold...

Unless NJT is trying to get DRR to maintain the TRIT for any future commuter operations...
 #1598220  by CharlieL

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:04 pm Farmingdale to Freehold probably won’t be for a while. Whole lotta work to do there and who knows when the work will even kick off.

I have created a new topic regarding this new operation. We can discuss them there and continue to speculate here once operations begin a few weeks from now.
I dunno about that. The grant will run out some time in 2024. Note that they were going to pull the rail between Freehold and Farmingdale, or at least part of it, and use on the southern, replacing it later. I suspect we will see that happen this year or next. Is that rail heavier than what's currently on the southern? I know it is where it passes thru Freehold.

As for the interchange point, I think it will remain Browns yard (I have nothing to back that up, but where else could it be in order to service both the Freehold Industrial and the Southern?).
 #1598228  by Bracdude181

@CR7876 It does raise the question of how the car exchange may play out in the future though. Once Farmingdale to Freehold is opened (whenever that happens) there won’t be a need for a Red Bank exchange. For the maximum of like 6-8 ish cars per trip the Freehold IT gets now, storing cars on the wye legs is okay. But what happens when the line is reconnected and they need to store both Freeholds loads and the 8 to 17 car trains for Woodhaven, plus whoever else they may pick up as customers? Then what about Lakehurst to Woodmansie if that ever reopens? They want 60 cars a week out of there last I heard. (30 per trip twice a week)

They could leave the outbounds on the south end of Jamesburg if they do it right, but you won’t fit all the aforementioned stuff on the wye legs. They’d either need trackage rights to Browns or build a big siding somewhere. Probably on the Hightstown IT or the curve leading to Dayton/Monmouth Junction. Those are the only spots over there with room for one.