Railroad Forums 

• 'Out-Of-Control' Hordes Swarm Jersey Shore, 15 Arrested - at least a thousand arriving by NJ Transit

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1598116  by Ken W2KB

"drew a reported crowd of 5,000, saw 15 people arrested and prompted a citywide curfew. The Saturday night soiree in Long Branch was reportedly advertised among teens via social media, with at least a thousand teens arriving by NJ Transit." https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley ... aign=alert
 #1598137  by JohnFromJersey

eolesen wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:25 pm This sounds like a windfall for local businesses... why discourage it?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Allegedly, the attendees of this event started harassing people on the boardwalk (I heard allegations that they were attempting to assault/rob people), a lot of public smoking and drinking, harassment of some of the local businesses, in addition to them destroying/damaging a few cop cars.

Not very good for local businesses when they get attacked and other customers get scared off
CNJGeep wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:19 pm Another one June 19th.
There was an event last year on/around that day, where a large group of out-of-towners descended in the same spot and caused chaos. I believe a few businesses were severely damaged and burglarized.
 #1598138  by CNJGeep

eolesen wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:25 pm This sounds like a windfall for local businesses... why discourage it?

Because they aren't here to patronize local businesses, they're here to drink and smoke and get rowdy. The Instagram post for the second event coming up next month is already rife within the comments with opposing groups, unless the "promoter" did some selective trimming.

Not to mention it's not a "boardwalk town" like Wildwood and Ocean City, the businesses at the area they are congregating at, and in fact throughout the town, are all tailored for the wealthy NY transplants who are spending millions on condos.

Last year this sort of pop up behavior got the decades long popular Oceanfest cancelled.
 #1598149  by R36 Combine Coach

CNJGeep wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:28 pm Last year this sort of pop up behavior got the decades long popular Oceanfest cancelled.
Same reason why the NY Transit Museum has stopped large scale events such as BusFest and "Parade of
Trains" - the moronic behavior now means reservation only or ticketed events.

Some might also recall how bad Woodstock 1999 turned out.
 #1598182  by Ken W2KB

"Mayor Pallone, a Democrat, Monday night on Facebook. "We have made contact with NJ Transit and will continue to do so to find a solution that does not call for letting thousands of people off a train at once, swelling our city to capacity limits."

So don't take NJ Transit to the permitted large summer concerts with top name bands that draw many thousands? Or other mainstream events?

https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley ... aign=alert
 #1598187  by eolesen

This is the real reason there's not better service to the Hamptons.... the "deplorables" might discover what the elites want to keep for themselves.

#1598197  by JohnFromJersey

eolesen wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:53 am This is the real reason there's not better service to the Hamptons.... the "deplorables" might discover what the elites want to keep for themselves.

I get your sentiment, but maybe the "deplorables" should learn how to behave better - doing sh*t like this only proves the elite right about them, and will allow said elites to continue to screw them over.
 #1598206  by scratchyX1

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:20 pm
eolesen wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:53 am This is the real reason there's not better service to the Hamptons.... the "deplorables" might discover what the elites want to keep for themselves.

I get your sentiment, but maybe the "deplorables" should learn how to behave better - doing sh*t like this only proves the elite right about them, and will allow said elites to continue to screw them over.
Still 15/1000 is a small number of arrests.
When there are sportsball riots, after team wins/loses, would all of those people who march, setting things on fire and other youtube fodder, be reduced if there wasn't public transit?
 #1598214  by Ken W2KB

scratchyX1 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:24 pm Still 15/1000 is a small number of arrests.
When there are sportsball riots, after team wins/loses, would all of those people who march, setting things on fire and other youtube fodder, be reduced if there wasn't public transit?
Much lower percentage, 15 of 5,000 total participants, initial estimates were 1,000 traveled by train, others by driving or perhaps a bus.
 #1598236  by scratchyX1

Ken W2KB wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:26 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:24 pm Still 15/1000 is a small number of arrests.
Much lower percentage, 15 of 5,000 total participants, initial estimates were 1,000 traveled by train, others by driving or perhaps a bus.
Wow, statistically, even lower.
It sounds like someone had a conclusion, and wants to massage the data to meet it.
 #1598259  by JohnFromJersey

As someone who lives not too far away from where this went down, I can tell you that there should have been way more than 15 arrests. The amount of damage and whatnot that occurred was pretty bad. Long Branch has a pretty small police department, especially this time of the year before the summer tourist season even starts. I don't think they even have the proper riot gear to handle such a situation - they would be putting their few officers in a lot of danger if they tried any more than the people they caught.

If this happened in a town with a bigger police force or even a city, I guarantee you there would be hundreds of arrests. Back in 2018, Headliner in Neptune City had a massive brawl occur where there were dozens if not more arrests - around 100+ cops at the very least showed up from towns all around the area. I think it was on the Fourth of July. I saw it happen, it was wild. Not sure why the same didn't happen here in Long Branch, especially when a similar incident took place a year ago.

But I agree, trying to restrict transit over this is ridiculous - they will come other ways. Long Branch needs to have surrounding towns and maybe even the State Police be present/on standby when the word is out that one of these gatherings happens.
 #1598275  by Ken W2KB

JohnFromJersey wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:49 am
As someone who lives not too far away from where this went down, I can tell you that there should have been way more than 15 arrests. The amount of damage and whatnot that occurred was pretty bad. Long Branch has a pretty small police department, especially this time of the year before the summer tourist season even starts. I don't think they even have the proper riot gear to handle such a situation - they would be putting their few officers in a lot of danger if they tried any more than the people they caught.

If this happened in a town with a bigger police force or even a city, I guarantee you there would be hundreds of arrests. Back in 2018, Headliner in Neptune City had a massive brawl occur where there were dozens if not more arrests - around 100+ cops at the very least showed up from towns all around the area. I think it was on the Fourth of July. I saw it happen, it was wild. Not sure why the same didn't happen here in Long Branch, especially when a similar incident took place a year ago.

But I agree, trying to restrict transit over this is ridiculous - they will come other ways. Long Branch needs to have surrounding towns and maybe even the State Police be present/on standby when the word is out that one of these gatherings happens.
There were many more police officers there, not just Long Branch as the department asked for assistance earlier in the day when it became aware of the social media posts. "Acting Monmouth County Prosecutor Lori Linskey said law enforcement officials from the Long Branch Police Department, Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, Monmouth County Emergency Response Team, Monmouth and Middlesex Rapid Deployment Forces, Monmouth County Sheriff's Office, New Jersey State Police, Department of Corrections and NJ Transit Police, all responded to the area."