Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1597995  by daybeers

Yes I just saw that as well. I have no idea what they're doing and even if the inaugural trips will run on Monday. Maybe has something to do with Amtrak summer track work, but that shouldn't require busing. Seems the left doesn't know what the right is doing.
 #1598002  by Haydenjamall

Hartford line uses MBB Coach cars leased from the MBTA, Shore Line East will probably transfer some of its coach sets that were replaced by the M8 sets to the Hartford line. Do you think CTDOT will start sending back the MBB Coach cars to the MBTA or keep them?
 #1598008  by robelybasis

Trainset #2 (New M8s) is currently testing on the New Haven line and will be on Shore Line East in the coming days in a 4 car configuration. (9701-9702-9703-9704
 #1598016  by shadyjay

daybeers wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:52 pm Yes I just saw that as well. I have no idea what they're doing and even if the inaugural trips will run on Monday. Maybe has something to do with Amtrak summer track work, but that shouldn't require busing. Seems the left doesn't know what the right is doing.
So, I found a ConnDOT press release....
https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/CTDOT-Press-R ... e-May-2022

.... and this quote may solve why there is bussing....
Service levels will remain unchanged, but due to infrastructure and operational limitations, trains 1646 and 1697 will have bus service between Old Saybrook and New London.
Is it possible these trains are when a diesel trainset would have to use Track 6 to get out of the way of a NB and SB scheduled Amtrak train? Therefore, if there is no wire, and to keep the line open for Amtrak passage, they're bussing. This sounds like the definition of "infrastructure and operational limitations"... at least until Track 6 gets wired.
 #1598017  by Haydenjamall

daybeers wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:29 pm Lol yes of course they do. No third rail allowed in CT.

Why isn’t 3rd rail allowed in CT? How come it’s neighboring states have it (New York and MASS) have it but not CT is it a safety issue?
 #1598018  by daybeers

Ah I see, that makes sense. I thought all the sidings were electrified last month, but I guess not :((

I'm worried the poster I shared means the first M-8 trip will be an extra run eastbound 2:45-4:04. It says "invited guests are encouraged to take the train to Union Station in New Haven and then take the M8 Electric Train back to their departure station." then under the right table, "there will be no stops returning to Union Station" so express run westbound after?

I'm also worried it was sent out in error and it's only for press and important people, not for the public. The westbound at 11:55 is a regular #1667.
 #1598023  by nomis

Traingeek3629 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:48 pmInterestingly, 1646/1697 will become a bus between OSB and New London. Not sure why. They also seem to be padding the schedule even more, rather than reducing trip times.
1646/1697 - I guess "they" didn't want a tight turn with 94 on 1646's markers the whole time OSB to NLC, along with both 179 and 94 due into NLC within a 5 minute window.
-1632 is given 13 minutes from Westbrook to OSB.
1632 - Waiting at OSB for 174 to head east.
-1610 needs 10 minutes for Guilford to Madison
1610 - Waiting at Guilford INT for 2152 to head east.
 #1598025  by Silverliner II

Perhaps the lack of faster times are
1. Not all trains will be M8 sets initially, so the schedules still have to assume diesel speeds.
2. If the M8's are still limited to 80mph by Amtrak, that would also make sense for no decrease in times.
But that sure does not account for the odd padding mentioned above, here and there. Unless it is accounting for conflicting traffic. Between that and the one trip segment being a bus, I have to wonder if any Amtrak track work is going on out there.
 #1598026  by nomis

M8 - 90mph east of New Haven.
 #1598028  by Silverliner II

nomis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:39 pm M8 - 90mph east of New Haven.
A wee bit better. I forgot they did that on segments of Metro-North before they reduced all their 90mph territory to 80mph.
 #1598034  by daybeers

Haydenjamall wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:53 pm
daybeers wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:29 pm Lol yes of course they do. No third rail allowed in CT.

Why isn’t 3rd rail allowed in CT? How come it’s neighboring states have it (New York and MASS) have it but not CT is it a safety issue?
NY is the only place with third rail outside of closed rapid transit systems. Only on the Hudson Line to Poughkeepsie, the Harlem Line to Southeast, and the New Haven Line to Pelham.

I'm not actually sure if it's not allowed. I thought there was some sort of incident a long time ago that caused the ban. Anyway, it's not used much on mainline railroads, especially in areas with winter weather, as third rail can't handle ice well. Usually speed is limited to 80 mph, and electrical substations have to be placed much closer together due to the transmission loss using direct current versus alternating current with overhead catenary.

Thank you, nomis, for the information on the schedule and MAS.

If anyone knows more about the inaugural trip(s) and if they're open to the public, please share.
 #1598042  by RearOfSignal

Third rail runs only just past CP 35 on the Hudson Line, not Poughkeepsie. Also a bunch of cows got shocked way back when they still had 3rd rail in CT, so they outlawed it. Back in early 1900s.
 #1598049  by robelybasis

TS 2 was out testing on SLE today. The entire M8 fleet is getting a bump to 100 mph MAS the maximum they are designed for. This is for SLE higher speed purposes and track work using federal infra $$ to increase the max speed on the New Haven Line to 110 mph. Everything should be commencing in the next couple of months and it'll be better clarified once the commuter council gives an update at the next meeting. Commuter council is also taking a branch line Electrification/Improvement study starting next month including SLE (Includes current M8 program, improvements to better fit M8 trains), the Waterbury Line, and the Danbury line
 #1598055  by daybeers

Ah right, Croton-Harmon for third rail on the Hudson Line.

robelybasis, where are you learning the information you've been posting? Any idea what's happening with the inaugural extra run on Monday?