Railroad Forums 

• Morris County operations for the Morristown & Erie (was: Morris County files suit against M&E)

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1597843  by Bracdude181

It looks like Chesapeake and Delawares 5 year lease for the Morris County lines is about to expire. If MC allows it they can renew the lease and continue their operations, or someone else can take it over.

If someone else takes over that could potentially mean the end of the DRRV, but aside from them and M&E I’m not sure who would want these lines.
 #1597903  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:It looks like Chesapeake and Delawares 5 year lease for the Morris County lines is about to expire. If MC allows it they can renew the lease and continue their operations, or someone else can take it over.

If someone else takes over that could potentially mean the end of the DRRV, but aside from them and M&E I’m not sure who would want these lines.
You didn't ask a question. Is there a question?
Every five years Morris County puts up to bid the operation of the three rail lines it owns. Simply picking someone out of thin air, or not allowing qualified operators the chance to bid, would open up the County Commissioners to corruption. Current contract runs until 6-30-22. Bids close on 6-2, and the next Commissioner meeting after that is 6-8. Contract runs 7-1-22 to 6-30-27.
 #1597929  by R36 Combine Coach

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:09 am Aside from them and M&E I’m not sure who would want these lines.
The only other regional carrier in the area is NYSW, but is disconnected from these three lines (would require
moves over NJT between Passaic Junction and Wharton via Newark and West End). Would been more practical
had the W&N been in place between Lake Junction and Newfoundland.