Railroad Forums 

• Bill introduced for NJT to provide all service free during summer months

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1597293  by Ken W2KB

"2. For the months of June, July, and August of 2022, the New Jersey Transit Corporation shall provide all public transportation services at no cost to passengers.
For the purpose of this section, “public transportation service” means motorbus regular route service, rail passenger service, light rail passenger service, paratransit service, and any other transportation service otherwise provided by the corporation, or under contract to the corporation, to the general public." https://pub.njleg.state.nj.us/Bills/202 ... 832_I1.PDF
 #1597309  by Yankees1

This will just be an excuse for them to further kneecap the Coast Line during the summer when it gets unbearably crowded. The fact that there hasn't been direct summer weekend service for the past 4 years on that line is inexcusable. It's even worse that they still run local, making the trip from NYP to Asbury Park 1:51, with a change in Long Branch. For comparison purposes, the direct weekend trains they used to run would make it in 1:25, even with a few local stops thrown in. They could probably trim it down to 1:15 if they really wanted to provide good service, but I question whether that's a priority for them.
 #1597324  by JohnFromJersey

NJT making ALL services free for EVERYONE during some of the highest usage months would certainly run it into the ground more as they will have far less revenue to work with - what the hell is the point of this bill???? With all due respect, whoever proposed this is smoking something
 #1597362  by RandallW

On days with dangerous air quality, NJT already discounts fares. I think the point of this bill is that by encouraging mass transit use during the period of greatest likelihood of dangerous air qualities throughout the state, it makes sense to attempt to preclude a dangerous day by encouraging mass transit use throughout the period of risk.
 #1597367  by R&DB

This is possibly the most rediculous proposals by the State government ever made. It basically says "OK we are going to throw away a bunch of money we took from the taxpayers." If they are looking for more ridership to the shore they should re-institute the weekend shore trains at a discount. (50%?)
 #1597387  by JohnFromJersey

RandallW wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:30 am On days with dangerous air quality, NJT already discounts fares. I think the point of this bill is that by encouraging mass transit use during the period of greatest likelihood of dangerous air qualities throughout the state, it makes sense to attempt to preclude a dangerous day by encouraging mass transit use throughout the period of risk.
There's a pretty big difference between discounted fares on a case-by-case basis, and making it free all the time. I'd argue this is more to try and get people attracted to taking NJT, but it could backfire as I'd imagine free fares = less money to work with = poorer service, and you add that up with elevated ridership levels and it's a nightmare. We all know NJT won't be expanding service if the whole thing is free.
R&DB wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:14 am This is possibly the most rediculous proposals by the State government ever made. It basically says "OK we are going to throw away a bunch of money we took from the taxpayers." If they are looking for more ridership to the shore they should re-institute the weekend shore trains at a discount. (50%?)
I think we're all getting wound up by an idiotic proposal by a clueless state rep; chances are, he is going to get grilled more than he is now in this forum by his fellow government officials for this. Chances are this doesn't go anywhere.

That being said NJ is no stranger to stupid laws, especially in recent years... banning plastic AND paper bags, anyone?
amtrakowitz wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:56 am Very bad idea. Would have the same problems as the former free New Year's Eve trains, with passengers getting assaulted and robbed.
And we all know NJT wouldn't put more security on their trains if this went through.
 #1597398  by Matt Johnson

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:13 pm @Yankees1 Providing decent service is the absolute last thing on NJTs mind. If they had it their way Long Branch to Bay Head would be gone. Been hearing they want to get rid of it.
That's at least as absurd as this proposal. Not saying it isn't true, but I would hope saner heads would prevail, especially with all those fancy new dual mode locomotives that were made expressly for lines like Long Branch - Bay Head.