Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1596562  by photobug56

Unlike NYC Transit, LIRR does not seem to understand the concept of historical preservation of important equipment. In fact, the only preserved LIRR equipment I've ever seen on MTA premises was at the Transit Museum.
 #1596563  by photobug56

Forgot to mention one of the most idiotic LIRR decisions - to scrap all three of the FL9AC locomotives. Beautiful, historic. Their biggest problem was, as I understand it, insufficient inverter cooling. They should have been preserved, given to museums.
 #1596592  by photobug56

LIRR was given 3 FL9's which received extensive upgrading and modernization. However, the inverters were prone to burnout, and from what I've been told the locos were not well maintained. LIRR cannibalized one for parts, so if one of the 2 others broke down, they no longer had a replacement. They with C1(?) cars became known as the Bitanic, but when they ran, they were a massive improvement over the old rust bucket fleet, and allowed direct service to Penn from Port Jeff. After the DE's, DM's and C3's went into service, this train was pulled. Some cars were sold, and the 3 locos scrapped despite their historical value. Plus, they generally ran well on diesel.
Attachments:
FL9AC-at-huntington.jpg
FL9AC-at-huntington.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 2651 times
 #1596593  by photobug56

The photo is of the first revenue run. In the cab are LIRR bosses. Though I named the photo incorrectly. It was at East Northport, not Huntington. The train had not yet stopped as it pulled in. I don't remember whether 301 or 302 was on the east end. This was a scan of a photo I took that morning about 6:15 or so. Hence the grain.
 #1596657  by MACTRAXX

photobug56 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:58 pm Forgot to mention one of the most idiotic LIRR decisions - to scrap all three of the FL9AC locomotives. Beautiful, historic. Their biggest problem was, as I understand it, insufficient inverter cooling. They should have been preserved, given to museums.
PB - Any mention of the three LIRR FL9s (300-301-302) and C1 bilevel cars (3001-3010) is off the original M3
topic...There are other discussions about this equipment that can be found in the LIRR Forum Archives...

The LIRR did NOT scrap the three FL9s after they were retired...Metro North took care of that deed...
MNCR retained ownership of the three units - and after the LIRR retired them they were sent to Croton Shops.

MNCR once hosted an annual Fall open house at the Croton Shop facilities to the public...I remember attending
the Fall 2000 open house with fellow LIST-NRHS members and remember that it was very informative and for
that matter well attended...At some point during the day we went to look at some equipment stored nearby
at Croton North - the "dead line" awaiting disposition or scrap having advance notice that some FL9s were
there - we found the LIRR FL9s along with other MNCR FL9s in "pieces" being "cannibalized" for useable or
salvageable parts most likely to keep other FL9s running. During that time period MNCR was replacing FL9s
with GE Genesis dual-mode units with the amount of FL9s remaining in MNCR service decreasing.

I want to set the record straight concerning the three LIRR FL9s -
Let's get back to the M3 topic - with a substantial number being retained for service they will be around...
MACTRAXX
 #1600839  by gamer4616

Some notes from recent notices put out by the railroad...

• Approximately 80 M3’s will be returning to revenue service over the next 6 months.

• The first set of M3's used to carry passengers was on September 10, 1985 from Jamaica to Penn Station.
 #1600913  by BuddR32

gamer4616 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:25 am Some notes from recent notices put out by the railroad...
  • Approximately 80 M3’s will be returning to revenue service over the next 6 months.

• The first set of M3's used to carry passengers was on September 10, 1985 from Jamaica to Penn Station.
That 80 is now 100, 80 with PTC, 20 without which will have to ride in the belly of a consist.
Mostly all that are going to be scrapped are gone, less than 10 to go.
You may see M3s running about as they get released from maintenance and are run through testing and training runs.

As for the Sept 10, 1985 date, there is a key chain that looks like a ticket with that date, noting it as the inaugural M3 run.
 #1602020  by BOMOPTSKWH

These things were ready for the scrap heap a decade ago. Thanks to LIRR and MTA malfeasance in the pathetic M-9 procurement- these filthy analog bio-hazards are returning to service. Perfect.