Railroad Forums 

• Empire Builder Cancellation

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1596886  by John_Perkowski

#1596913  by STrRedWolf

Amtrak alerts had cancellations on 7/27(30) and 8/27(30) between Shelby & Minot. Track is back open.

From area local news:
Train derails, ignites near Burlington, ND
Cleanup crews begin to work on train derailment west of Minot
Tracks clear as cleanup continues.
 #1596929  by wigwagfan

What's the plan for getting the trains through Sandpoint, with the Lake Pend Oreille crossing shut down until at least tomorrow afternoon? I see the 7 is approaching Whitefish (around 12 hours off schedule) which would be a logical place to shut down...that train could theoretically continue to Sandpoint but not past. Trains 8/28 are on the move closer to schedule but won't be able to proceed beyond Spokane. Unless they decide to detour on the former Spokane International...
 #1596955  by STrRedWolf

wigwagfan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:43 pm What's the plan for getting the trains through Sandpoint, with the Lake Pend Oreille crossing shut down until at least tomorrow afternoon? I see the 7 is approaching Whitefish (around 12 hours off schedule) which would be a logical place to shut down...that train could theoretically continue to Sandpoint but not past. Trains 8/28 are on the move closer to schedule but won't be able to proceed beyond Spokane. Unless they decide to detour on the former Spokane International...
The local news report says it's completely clear and the crossing is good. I didn't see any cancelations for yesterday and today.
 #1596957  by STrRedWolf

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:57 am
wigwagfan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:43 pm What's the plan for getting the trains through Sandpoint, with the Lake Pend Oreille crossing shut down until at least tomorrow afternoon? I see the 7 is approaching Whitefish (around 12 hours off schedule) which would be a logical place to shut down...that train could theoretically continue to Sandpoint but not past. Trains 8/28 are on the move closer to schedule but won't be able to proceed beyond Spokane. Unless they decide to detour on the former Spokane International...
The local news report says it's completely clear and the crossing is good. I didn't see any cancelations for yesterday and today.
I spoke too soon. 8/28(2) is detouring between Spokane and Whitefish. 7/27(1) is bussituted between the two.
 #1597610  by STrRedWolf

gregorystevens wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:41 pm
dgvrengineer wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:28 pm I heard something about bridge work near Sandpoint, ID. Track was closed
hello,
where did you hear this?
https://railfan.com/critical-bnsf-bridg ... ho-closed/
SANDPOINT, Idaho — Rail traffic on BNSF Railway’s busy main line to the Pacific Northwest is moving again after emergency repairs were made on the railroad’s bridge over Lake Pend Oreille near Sandpoint, Idaho.

The bridge over Lake Pend Oreille hosts dozens of trains a day, including Amtrak’s Empire Builder between Portland/Seattle and Chicago. It’s located just west of the junction between BNSF’s former Great Northern main line and the former Northern Pacific main line (now Montana Rail Link).

The structural issues were discovered on Monday and the bridge reopened Tuesday morning. Amtrak announced late Monday that the Empire Builder would be suspended between Spokane and Whitefish, Mont.