Railroad Forums 

• Schuylkill River Passenger Rail Authority

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1596151  by zebrasepta

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/berks/mo ... 249eb.html

Related articles related to the Schuylkill River Passenger Rail Authority:
https://whyy.org/articles/schuylkill-ri ... structure/
https://www.readingeagle.com/2022/03/03 ... authority/
READING, Pa. - On Thursday, Montgomery County officials will decide whether to create an authority to help restore passenger trains from Reading to Philadelphia.

The Authority would help restore a passenger rail line between Berks County and Philadelphia, with stops in Montgomery and Chester counties. Each county would have to vote in favor of creating it.
 #1596246  by MACTRAXX

ZS: Let's see if Berks and Chester Counties go along with Montgomery County to form the new SRPRA.
The key is negotiating with Norfolk Southern to operate trains between Reading and Philadelphia.
If NS turns down a submitted operating plan from the new Authority there won't be any trains...
MACTRAXX
 #1596247  by mcgrath618

MACTRAXX wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:11 pm ZS: Let's see if Berks and Chester Counties go along with Montgomery County to form the new SRPRA.
The key is negotiating with Norfolk Southern to operate trains between Reading and Philadelphia.
If NS turns down a submitted operating plan from the new Authority there won't be any trains...
MACTRAXX
One of the remaining counties (I believe Montgomery) voted yes.
 #1596256  by ChesterValley

I'm glad to see Montco finally decided to support trains a good what, 40 years too late? Norfolk Southern won't budge an inch if they can, that line runs a lot a freight. Given the supply chain constraints and PSR, I severely doubt it short of rebuilding the PRR's old Reading line along the ROW.

And even if they somehow do, Dual modes are extraordinarily expensive and SEPTA still doesn't have fueling let alone repair facilities. Unless SEPTA could pull a rabbit out of it's hat with a reverse swampoodle connection or heck even rebuilding part of the Ivy ridge to run diesels to the lower part of 30th street, although I think I'm spitballing on decades worth of dead threads on the issue.

The key question is if Harrisburg or Washington will support this, PennDOT already estimates a half a billion dollars. Washington already balked at SVM and greenline proposals. The only way this will get funding is if gas goes above 7 dollars a gallon for the next 5 years.

I really hate being this much of a downer when it comes to this but we've been hearing for years about service revival and all I've been seeing is more studies. The most new rail we've seen in the region is from Elwyn to Wawa. Frankly a state supported Bieber tourways style transport is the most practical solution
 #1596295  by west point

If SEPTA can order this equipment from Siemen this would be ideal. Order the same setup of ALC-44Es that Amtrak is ordering. Probably can get a FRA grant. That way SEPTA could use the present CAT to the end of the line and use the BATTERY - Diesel set up to the end of the line. If ridership proves sufficient SEPTA can install CAT. Maybe even constant tension 25 Kv 60 Hz as a start to finally convert whole system.

If ridership not good enough then close down route without installing CAT. Then move the ALCs to other routes or transfer them to Amtrak.
 #1596298  by R36 Combine Coach

ChesterValley wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:14 pm Frankly a state supported Bieber tourways style transport is the most practical solution
SEPTA could simply order a few MCI D4500s ($500,000 each) and the costs will be trivial compared to rail service.
 #1596332  by scratchyX1

west point wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:59 pm If SEPTA can order this equipment from Siemen this would be ideal. Order the same setup of ALC-44Es that Amtrak is ordering. Probably can get a FRA grant. That way SEPTA could use the present CAT to the end of the line and use the BATTERY - Diesel set up to the end of the line. If ridership proves sufficient SEPTA can install CAT. Maybe even constant tension 25 Kv 60 Hz as a start to finally convert whole system.

If ridership not good enough then close down route without installing CAT. Then move the ALCs to other routes or transfer them to Amtrak.
If al44e could be leased, to deal with downtown tunnel, there is a passenger operator north of reading, with 47 passenger cars. I wonder if it could be contracted out to them.
 #1596769  by zebrasepta

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/berks/sc ... 63bea.html
READING, Pa. – One day after the Chester County commissioners approved the formation of the Schuylkill River Passenger Rail Authority, Berks County Commissioner Christian Y. Leinbach announced that the authority is effectively formed.

The authority's first meeting will be scheduled for late June, he said.
 #1596771  by ExCon90

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:12 am I think this will get support from Harrisburg as Republican and Democratic controlled counties are behind it, but I am curious why Amtrak and this authority are trying to do the same thing? I cannot imagine Norfolk Southern would want to both of these operators out there.
I think it's mentioned somewhere previously that there would be a single service operated by Amtrak in close coordination with the Authority, similar to what is done on the Capitol Corridor and elsewhere in California, which works very well and provides significant local input -- and monitoring -- rather than "remote control" from Washington. (Of course, Caltrans provides actual money while Pennsylvania might be somewhat more tight-fisted.)
 #1596862  by mcgrath618

ExCon90 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:07 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:12 am I think this will get support from Harrisburg as Republican and Democratic controlled counties are behind it, but I am curious why Amtrak and this authority are trying to do the same thing? I cannot imagine Norfolk Southern would want to both of these operators out there.
I think it's mentioned somewhere previously that there would be a single service operated by Amtrak in close coordination with the Authority, similar to what is done on the Capitol Corridor and elsewhere in California, which works very well and provides significant local input -- and monitoring -- rather than "remote control" from Washington. (Of course, Caltrans provides actual money while Pennsylvania might be somewhat more tight-fisted.)
PA seems to be putting up more money recently for Keystone/Pennsylvanian improvements. The Mainline is being upgraded to 125 in most places within the next few years. And we've already discussed how much they're giving NS for 1 (one) more train a day.
 #1601416  by zebrasepta

Well with the authority established it's gonna hold its 1st meeting.
https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/berks/sc ... 03505.html
READING, Pa. – A little more than two months after it was officially formed, the Schuylkill River Passenger Rail Authority will hold its first meeting Wednesday, July 6.

The inaugural meeting of the SRPRA will largely be organizational, with the election of officers, adoption of bylaws and selection of a permanent office for the organization, among other initial tasks.

Wednesday's meeting will take place at 3 p.m. at the Berks County Services Center.
 #1601703  by 93r8g7

These people are clearly psychotic in their effort to "select" Amtrash as the preferred carrier. The current Norristown line functions well purely BECAUSE it's not an Amtrak line, not until it reaches the city. Amtrak and the feds have no business inserting themselves in state business. A passenger wants to get to South Philadelphia from Reading, how is that a federal manner?
SEPTA has the experience, has the equipment, although it will require more, and has the know how to operate the line. Selecting Amtrash will just cause more transfer issues, more confusion, and cost far more money.
The only way forward for reliable service that is a good steward of taxpayer dollars is for it to be operated by SEPTA.
 #1601708  by scratchyX1

It's not like there isn't an experienced passenger train operator, North of Reading. With their own gear.
They would need PTC installations on locomotives, but otherwise could do it.
The issue is operating into suburban station, verses 30th.