Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1592175  by WashingtonPark

checkmatechamp13 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:38 pm $170 million for one extra daily train? What exactly are those infrastructure improvements? I doubt a few passing sidings cost $170 million.
Appears to be just another cash grab by NS to upgrade the infrastructure they've fallen behind on on the taxpayer's dime.
 #1596283  by Bracdude181

@scratchyx1 Ah I see. Sorry im new to this topic lol. Would be nice if they did build a station there. In my situation it would actually be cheaper to drive to the train station and take the train there. I have an older car with an 18 gallon fuel tank so filling it up with prices at $4 a gallon isn’t ideal lol.
 #1596286  by Pensyfan19

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:56 pm Has Amtrak and/or Strasburg ever considered building a station in Paradise? So you could take the train there and transfer to Strasburg?
In the 90s, there were a number of considerations of a Paradise station for that very purpose. The only thing that stalled all of them was the lack of ADA accessibility (not knowing where to place elevators). There's a well made video on this very topic found below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7j1Haa8HaI
 #1596291  by Bracdude181

Wow. Even the Amish want it! Kind of like how the Hasidic Jews here in Lakewood NJ want NJ Transit rail service! A shame the plan to have station just west of Paradise was shot down. I’m sincerely hoping that that they do build this station one day. Would much rather pay the $50 or so for Amtrak tickets than to put $60-$70 worth of gas and over 200 miles of wear and tear on my car!
 #1596300  by R36 Combine Coach

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:59 pm Wow. Even the Amish want it! Kind of like how the Hasidic Jews here in Lakewood NJ want NJ Transit rail service!
Yet they are opposed to MNCR running through Monsey.

Such insular communities do have transit service: read Monsey Trailways and Monroe Bus.
 #1596383  by TheOneKEA

Pensyfan19 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:47 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:56 pm Has Amtrak and/or Strasburg ever considered building a station in Paradise? So you could take the train there and transfer to Strasburg?
In the 90s, there were a number of considerations of a Paradise station for that very purpose. The only thing that stalled all of them was the lack of ADA accessibility (not knowing where to place elevators). There's a well made video on this very topic found below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7j1Haa8HaI
I have also read that there was no ideal site for a station that could provide interchange with the Strasburg Railroad due to the curvature of the track, and that without this interchange, the chances of the station being built were marginal. Back in 2017 I asked an employee of the Railroad about these plans and they lacked any familiarity with them, and I suspect that five years later there’s likely to be even less knowledge of these plans among the employees.

This old article from a local paper talks about the rejection of the plan back in the 2000s due to ADA concerns.
 #1596391  by STrRedWolf

Let's take a fresh look at a station. Here's the area in Google Maps.

We can't put a station right at Leman Place due to the curvature of Amtrak tracks... but if we extend the Strasburg's two tracks north-west to north of East Lincon Highway (US 30), we can do some work:
  • Move the Paradise Township Office on London Vale Road north to next-door of the tennis courts.
  • Make the station w/regular parking in it's place. Staff it, because the Amish deal with people and cash.
  • Move the west-bound Amtrak track at least 15 feet north-east to make an island platform.
  • Make a Strasburg platform. This may be forced to low platform due to their equipment.
  • Make bridge connecting both sides and the island platform.
  • Make a small parking & stable off Rail Road Avenue, connected to the Strasburg platform.
 #1596393  by mcgrath618

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:03 am Let's take a fresh look at a station. Here's the area in Google Maps.

We can't put a station right at Leman Place due to the curvature of Amtrak tracks... but if we extend the Strasburg's two tracks north-west to north of East Lincon Highway (US 30), we can do some work:
  • Move the Paradise Township Office on London Vale Road north to next-door of the tennis courts.
  • Make the station w/regular parking in it's place. Staff it, because the Amish deal with people and cash.
  • Move the west-bound Amtrak track at least 15 feet north-east to make an island platform.
  • Make a Strasburg platform. This may be forced to low platform due to their equipment.
  • Make a small parking & stable off Rail Road Avenue, connected to the Strasburg platform.
IIRC the Strasburg ROW already extends north of US 30. They're currently building a rather sizable freight yard there.
 #1596398  by scratchyX1

mcgrath618 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:22 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:03 am Let's take a fresh look at a station. Here's the area in Google Maps.

IIRC the Strasburg ROW already extends north of US 30. They're currently building a rather sizable freight yard there.
Is the new yard going in where capitol forest products is located?
Could have trail from paradise park with ramps on either side, and elevator to central platform.
And low platform, for Strasburg.
 #1596444  by rcthompson04

I have wondered why there isn't an infill station between Parkesburg and Lancaster. Looking at the map there really isn't a good spot anywhere. The straight stretches are in empty territory and any settlement of significance is somewhere on a weird track angle or turn.
 #1596452  by Roadgeek Adam

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:59 am I have wondered why there isn't an infill station between Parkesburg and Lancaster. Looking at the map there really isn't a good spot anywhere. The straight stretches are in empty territory and any settlement of significance is somewhere on a weird track angle or turn.
Is there really demand for a stop in Leaman Place? Strasburg Railroad is nice, but it feels like there would not be a demand.

Personally my preference is something like Duncannon or Newport to break up the Harrisburg/Lewistown gap, providing a park and ride stop that travelers on US 11/15 can use rather than having to drive down to Harrisburg to catch the train.