Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1596167  by GojiMet86

https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Pa ... -Corridor/

Partner Selected for Go Rail Expansion On-Corridor Works Project
April 19, 2022

Multinational team to deliver largest commuter rail project for Greater Toronto and Hamilton Region

Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario (IO) have executed an agreement with ONxpress Transportation Partners (ONxpress) to enter the Development Phase of the On-Corridor Works project – the largest project in Metrolinx’s GO Rail Expansion program. Unprecedented in its scale and complexity, this multi-billion dollar capital program will transform the regional rail network with electrification, more frequent service, shorter journey times and a more modernized system for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Region.

ONxpress is comprised of leading Canadian and international companies with the expertise to deliver a complex regional rail project:

• Applicant Lead: Aecon Concessions, a division of Aecon Construction Group Inc., ALSTOM Holdings SA, FCC Construccion S.A., Deutsche Bahn International Operations GmbH
  • Systems and Integration Team: ALSTOM Transport Canada Inc.
  • Construction, Design and Engineering Team: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., ALSTOM Transport Canada Inc., FCC Construccion S.A., WSP Canada Inc., Hatch Corporation,
  • Fixed Infrastructure Maintenance Team: Deutsche Bahn International Operations GmbH, Aecon O&M, a division of Aecon Construction Group Inc.
  • Operator Team: Deutsche Bahn International Operations GmbH, Aecon O&M, a division of Aecon Construction Group Inc.
The GO Expansion On-Corridor Works package is a single, innovative, fully-integrated contract to run more and better service for the regional GO rail system. ONxpress is responsible for designing, building, operating and maintaining all GO Rail infrastructure and trains for 25 years. This includes all works that facilitate train service, such as track, civil infrastructure, signalling, electrification infrastructure and electric vehicles, as well as the operations and maintenance of the GO rail network:

• Operation of train services including train crewing
  • Timetable planning and train control for all operators across the GO-owned network
  • Design, construction, integration of the railway corridor (civil infrastructure, tracks, systems, signaling, etc.)
  • Maintenance and rehabilitation of new railway corridor assets and select existing railway corridor assets
  • Maintenance, servicing and cleaning of all rolling stock and, if required, procurement of new electric vehicles
  • Construction of new maintenance and train storage and/or layover facilities
  • Reconstruction of Union Station track and platforms
  • Compliance with Metrolinx safety, security and emergency management policies
The goal is to deliver 15-minute or better, all-day service on the core GO Transit lines – Lakeshore West, Kitchener, Barrie, Stouffville, and Lakeshore East lines – to transform the way this region will move and to make it easier for customers to get to where they need to go.

As On-Corridor Works is a complex regional project with multiple external interfaces, stakeholders, utility and operational elements, it is being delivered as a Progressive DBOM (design-build-operate-maintain) model.

In a Progressive model, the project features a collaborative approach between the project owner and the contracting partner. Before the project’s contractual schedule and price can be finalized, the parties will enter a Development Phase – a multi-stage design process, whereby Metrolinx as project owner, and ONxpress as contracting partner, work closely together to finalize the scope, risk allocation and pricing of various elements of the project. The magnitude of On-Corridor Works requires a two-year Development Phase to progress the design and construction of any early works for the project. Contract cost and schedule will be shared publicly once this phase is completed in 2024. In the meantime, project details, community consultations and other important updates during this time will be posted to Metrolinx’s website.

ONxpress was evaluated and selected based on criteria identified in the Request for Proposals process that began in May 2019. Criteria included design and construction methodology, operations and maintenance approach, including train service planning, approach to managing the project, collaborative behaviours of key individuals of the teams and indicative pricing for the project.

The On-Corridor Works project was procured through an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third-party fairness monitor.

The On-Corridor Works assets will remain publicly owned by the Province of Ontario and managed by Metrolinx as part of its GO Rail regional program.

For more information about the project, visit Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx.
 #1596170  by GojiMet86

CraigDK wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:00 pm So you posted the same information I just did, but by copy and pasting, word for word, the press release in a separate thread?
......Or maybe, just maybe, your thread hadn't been posted when I was busy copying, pasting, and formatting the press release; otherwise I wouldn't have posted the same information......
 #1596171  by CraigDK

GojiMet86 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:04 pm
CraigDK wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:00 pm So you posted the same information I just did, but by copy and pasting, word for word, the press release in a separate thread?
......Or maybe, just maybe, your thread hadn't been posted when I was busy copying, pasting, and formatting the press release; otherwise I wouldn't have posted the same information......
I suppose that's possible.
 #1596350  by R36 Combine Coach

HHP8s could be available as bargains (unless MARC is taking them for fleet expansion). SEPTA also has eight
motors up for bid.

The UPX DMUs were deisgned for electric conversion at a later date if need be.
 #1596356  by ConstanceR46

the ACS-64s being replaced, is again, just a RUMOR. there's literally nothing, nothing backing it.

anyway, as the contract with alstom covers engines, i assume they'll be using an all-new fleet of alstom-nee-bombardier alp types
 #1596360  by MACTRAXX

Silverliner5 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:15 pm Since they are electrifying I hope they purchase the ACS-64s from Amtrak since they're getting replaced by ALC-42Es
S5 - I will second CR46 and mention that the ACS64 motors are fully compatible with the new Amtrak
equipment - and any rumors of their imminent demise are only just heresay. Keep in mind that these new
ALC-42E locomotives have not even been built yet - let alone tested to the extent necessary to be placed in
service for Amtrak to even consider replacing ANY of the relatively new ACS64 motors prematurely...

With the mention of used or retired motors I thought of the NJ Transit ALP44 group that was retired
in favor of a larger fleet of ALP46/46A locomotives - specifically the group that is now sitting on a siding
in Boonton, NJ going to waste being victims of weather deterioration and vandalism...Another operator
(GO, MBTA, etc...) could have bought and upgraded the fleet for a fraction of the cost of new motors...
That was BEFORE they were literally left for dead by NJT making this option far less viable...

It will be interesting to see how GO Transit ends up electrifying their routes. The busy Lakeshore route
between Hamilton and Oshawa should get first priority being the backbone of the GO Rail system...
MACTRAXX
 #1596377  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:50 am With the mention of used or retired motors I thought of the NJ Transit ALP44 group that was retired
in favor of a larger fleet of ALP46/46A locomotives - specifically the group that is now sitting on a
siding in Boonton, NJ going to waste being victims of weather deterioration and vandalism...Another operator (GO, MBTA, etc...) could have bought and upgraded the fleet for a fraction of the cost of new motors...
Stanhope on the Cutoff stub. Boonton is now home to URHS and it was the mothballed Arrow IIs stored there
in 2000 just before scrap.

SEPTA issued the bids for the eight surplus motors in March and they are likely better shape than any ALP44s or HHP8s out there (the latter are stored in Bear, Delaware).
 #1596404  by Pensyfan19

ConstanceR46 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:21 am the ACS-64s being replaced, is again, just a RUMOR. there's literally nothing, nothing backing it.

anyway, as the contract with alstom covers engines, i assume they'll be using an all-new fleet of alstom-nee-bombardier alp types
Amtrak already confirmed in their newest Five Year Plan that they will only keep a small amount, but the rest will be surplus for other commuter rail agencies to buy or lease. This would be a perfect opportunity for GO Transit (or MBTA) to snatch these engines for their upcoming electrification programs. Although, I'm not sure if the Sprinters will be sent all the way to Canada since GO Transit already stated interest in Alstom/Bombardier electric locomotives, so they could be utilizing the Exo ALP-45s as well.
 #1596420  by MACTRAXX

PF - I read through the (very optimistic) entire Amtrak five year plan - and found this paragraph about the ACS64
motors - This is what is mentioned in its entirety: (Page 132 - bottom)

"ACS-64 Electric Locomotives ----

Amtrak's purchase of ICTs will reduce the number of ACS-64 electric locomotives required for daily service.
As a result Amtrak will likely have surplus ACS-64 locomotives available for resale or lease to commuter
agencies or the secondary market in the late 2020s.
The exact quantity of units displaced and timing have not yet been determined."

After reading this statement Amtrak will have the OPTION to reduce the number of ACS-64 locomotives in
service - there is nothing stated that they are actually going to follow through on a reduction of the ACS-64
motors anytime soon - remember again that the new ALC-42E locomotives have not been built or tested to
the extent necessary for Amtrak to begin to replace ANY ACS-64 motors - remember that the new dual-mode
ALC-42E is unproven technology at this point in time that is still on the drawing board...

Any mentions of the demise of the ACS-64 motors in Amtrak service is premature at best...MACTRAXX
 #1596436  by R36 Combine Coach

Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:27 am GO Transit already stated interest in Alstom/Bombardier electric locomotives, so they could be
utilizing the Exo ALP-45s as well.
NJT could also pick them up for fleet expansion (and finish off additional GP40s and the PL42s).
 #1596467  by TurningOfTheWheel

Silverliner5 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:15 pm Since they are electrifying I hope they purchase the ACS-64s from Amtrak since they're getting replaced by ALC-42Es
Alstom is part of the group that won the bid to operate the new service, so the move towards Alstom locos isn't surprising. The ACS-64s are also fairly overpowered for the shorter trains that GO is aiming to operate here.
 #1596504  by west point

Any talk of getting rid of any ACS-64s is way premature. There is much uncertainty of Europe war(s). Energy prices in the future all bets are off. I know of no one who can predict if traffic will be the same as Pre C-19, somewhere in between, to an amount more than twice what it was pre C-19.
 #1597352  by R36 Combine Coach

TurningOfTheWheel wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:59 pm The ACS-64s are also fairly overpowered for the shorter trains that GO is aiming to operate here.
I know GO does run 10-12 car bilevels, and NJT's ALP46s handle 10-12 car trains regularly.