Railroad Forums 

• NJT MLV EMU Procurement

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1591712  by lensovet

From the article, this part makes no sense:
The Multilevel IIIs will replace 40-plus-year-old Arrow III single-levels, and are slated to be added to nine existing multilevel peak-hour trains
Why would they add MUs to existing push-pull trains?
 #1592139  by Literalman

It's not written very clearly. I think it means that the EMU sets will be in service alongside the push-pull trains.
 #1592157  by lensovet

Actually I think I remember now. Part of the pitch for Portal replacement was that it would allow for the addition of one more peak hour train set. I know NJARP took issue with this because a few years ago there used to be 10 trains on the schedule, so it's not really "adding" another train to the schedule but more like restoring one that was there before and was cut back.
 #1592187  by lensovet

Dcell wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:07 am But what of the Dinky?
The plan for that still hasn't been chosen. For now it will keep running as is.

You're welcome to join the thread discussing future options here: https://railroad.net/post1568349.html#p1568349
 #1592300  by Matt Johnson

I hope NJ Transit starts replacing the windows on the existing multilevels. They're getting so opaque that you can't see out of 'em.
 #1593898  by lensovet

I mean the world is on the brink of war and there's been a pandemic going on for the last 2 years, but sure, the real problem is that there's no sign of the MU. Must be a conspiracy to hide it from us!
 #1594625  by lensovet

The contract was awarded 3 years ago. A little over a year after it was signed, we had the pandemic. And yes, the current conflict is absolutely straining supply chains even further. Factories in Europe have had to stop production due to that.

But sure, let's ignore all that and just focus on the age of this thread.
 #1595385  by lensovet

amtrakowitz wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:40 pm Hasn't stopped NJT from buying more MLV cab cars and trailer cars from Alstom. Calls priorities into question at the very least.
Why would it stop them? They are able to buy these cars at prices that are unthinkable in today's high inflation climate.
 #1596047  by amtrakowitz

lensovet wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:58 pm
amtrakowitz wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:40 pm Hasn't stopped NJT from buying more MLV cab cars and trailer cars from Alstom. Calls priorities into question at the very least.
Why would it stop them? They are able to buy these cars at prices that are unthinkable in today's high inflation climate.
So inflation both is and is not a factor. Interesting doublethink.
 #1596292  by west point

My thoughts about multilevel is make them as tall as possible. Just schedule them to Hoboken. NJT may need to have as many comfortable seating if loads increase. It appears NJT is limited to 12 car EMU trains. No sure for sure but seems to be the Amtrak old style PRR CAT does not do well with more than 6 PANs contacting the CAT for any train ? Also operating at speeds above 100 MPH?
Until all CAT is constant tension there will be problems.. Even AX-2s were having problems running with just one PAN that appear fixed.