Railroad Forums 

• Say goodbye to the WSDOT Talgos

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1590556  by wigwagfan

The ferry has a lot more room for food service. Can you imagine 50 people lined up in the little space of a Talgo Bistro trying to get their morning coffee, with just one attendant able to run the cash register and serve food? I would imagine that the space for food service on the Staten Island Ferry is equivalent to the floor space offered by THREE Talgo cars - and that doesn't include table or actual dining space.
 #1590561  by STrRedWolf

Here's the ferries: https://www.siferry.com/currentvessels.html

The ferry line takes 25 minutes... although it also serves beer. I can see getting a quick bite to eat while you're a captive audience. Coffee in the morning, beer at night...
 #1590620  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:11 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:05 am Here are the ferries: https://www.siferry.com/currentvessels.html
WAAAAY OT; now how about an X-ing on the "Mary Murray" or the "Pvt. Joseph Merrill"? Latter was first with F&B.
I'd risk further derailing this topic (although there's not much to it) by mentioning Japan's overnight ferries.
 #1590658  by kitchin

eolesen wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:41 pm Have to wonder how hard it would be to gut the bistro and café cars into bike or standing room cars? It's a metro..
Video: Barcelona to Madrid for 7€ with Avlo by RENFE

The €7 fare is only for the very few windowless seats in a converted cafe car, on this no-frills Talgo. The regular fare is €19. All food and drinks are from vending machines at the car ends.

It's 379 miles in 3h17m, with a stop or two. Top speed 186mph (300km/h).
Last edited by kitchin on Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1590659  by kitchin

Traffic is so bad in Lagos that they've been doing work-from-home for a long time (or work-from-neighborhood). When cell phones came in they metered in 7 second increments and that's how business got done.
 #1590660  by Arborwayfan

SI ferry snack bar is probably there because it makes money, not because someone thought it was necessary. The additional space wigwag pointed out, plus the much larger weight capacity of a large boat, would make the whole operation of a snack bar a lot cheaper than on a train.

It's also an unfortunate truth that the less "necessary" food service is on a transportation service is, the simpler it is to keep it stocked with food, because the vehicle goes to any given station more often.
 #1590669  by Gilbert B Norman

Prof Martens, not that I'm any great "ferry fan", but my Father's family resided on Staten Island. So, I've had "experience" - at least when my Mother was at the wheel (Father preferred Goethals to Turnpike to George; too impatient, and yes to those here born post-9/11; they did once handle motor vehicles). The Merril, and Sisters, "Cornelius Kopff", and "Verrazzano", were first with on-board food service; Mary, and Sisters "Miss New York" and "Gold Star Mother" had such added.

The last SI ferry I "sailed" on was during '66 the JFK, that I learned has now been withdrawn.

The most "memorable" ferry ride I've had was X-ing the North Sea during '71 Haak to Harwich. Even for this Fairfield Navy Cadet, it was the roughest seas I've ever known - and even harder to admit, I was "mildly" seasick.

To close rail related; yes I did ride the SIRT Huguenot to St George and then the ferry.

So volks, read this before it's killed.
 #1595380  by eolesen

The 8's weren't withdrawn from service unless I missed something...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1595497  by wigwagfan

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:41 pmWSDOT Talgo 8 was spotted in service by Virtual Railfan
The two Talgo 8 trainsets are fully, 100% owned by the good taxpayers (myself included) of the great State of Oregon, administered by the Oregon Department of Transportation.