Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning Phone App?

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1594010  by Denver Dude

I am using the Scanner Radio app on my phone, but it doesn't do much for me. Trainmon5 looks great, and I signed up on their site but ran into a dead end.
Is a Uniden scanner pretty much the only way to go?
 #1594850  by mdevall1

Denver Dude wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:51 am I am using the Scanner Radio app on my phone, but it doesn't do much for me. Trainmon5 looks great, and I signed up on their site but ran into a dead end.
Is a Uniden scanner pretty much the only way to go?
Some select railroads are on the Scanner Radio app, but not enough to really warrant its use in many areas for such a thing. Airports are the same way...limited. I have to use the LiveATC app for those. The Scanner Radio app is primarily used for public safety listening.

The only railroad line that goes through my area is the Norlina Subdivision operated by CSX on the old "S-line." If there is any radio traffic, I usually listen to it on a regular scanner. Usually, there isn't much going on through here. When I used to live in New York along the former Conrail main line in the northern Finger Lakes, that was a bit more lively.