Railroad Forums 

• Ring of Steel: Fare Gates at BOS, BON, & BBY

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1529183  by Disney Guy

... so now I'm more confused ...
1. All you requested at the time was a refund of your $2.25 Green Line fare.
2. If, back then, you once failed to activate a commuter rail ticket prior to boarding whether or not through ignorance, and the conductor did not come by.

1a. Which begs the hypothetical question in which each occurrence of the word "and" is important: Had you, in the taxi, been driven past St. Mary's St. (the green line C portal) and saw a train emerge outbound after having looped at Kenmore, and you ended the taxi ride there and boarded the next outbound C train, would the operator have accepted your "request for an emergency transfer" from the stalled C train back at Boylston in lieu of collecting a fare?
 #1529299  by BandA

CRail wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:49 pm
BandA wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:44 pm...it isn't fair, nor is paying $6.50 for an 8 mile trip (80 cents per mile), which is 2.9 times the cost of "rapid transit" in the same area and more than my actual cost of driving including tolls, with four empty seats and luggage compartment to spare! Yet the MBTA claims to be losing money on the $6.50 fare...
Interesting that the person who touts repeatedly that the MBTA is insolvent and should be in receivership now complains that their prices are too high.
With all due respect, it's really interesting that we have a moderator who engages in personal attacks while touting how "fair and balanced" he is. I would like a personal apology NOW for your previous post where you ironically libel me by accusing me of libeling you. This is the first time I have ever had such a distasteful exchange on this website, shame on you!!!
 #1529424  by CRail

I'm not going to apologize for pointing out inconsistencies in the arguments you've made in open forum. If my doing so makes you feel "attacked" then perhaps more careful thought should be put into what you say in your posts. You've repeatedly stated that the service should be operated at cost and here you directly contradict yourself. So the fact that I actually read your posts and commit to memory some of what you say on here makes me a bully?

Your post here was far more personal than mine was.
"I always know that when someone says “with all due respect,” that the last thing I'm going to get from them is the respect that's due."
-Tom Selleck as Frank Reagan
 #1536860  by nomis

Although this may warrant it's own topic, I thought it fit more into the ideals of the Fare gates and passenger flow that are in this thread,at this time.

From the service alerts on the mbta.com website for any South side line.
Service Change
Starting Wednesday March 18, the track information will be removed from South Station terminal boards one minute prior to departure. This is an important effort to improve passenger safety and to ensure trains depart on time.
This is like the "hidden minute" that happens at other major terminals such as NYP for both Amtrak and NJ Transit services, and GCT for Metro North services. Even Chicago CUS has a gate time of 5 minutes, or so IIRC.
 #1536979  by BandA

That's ridiculous. Seems like contempt for the passengers. Like the store that closes 5 minutes before closing time. Unless this is to allow time to get through the barriers, are they in place yet?
 #1537039  by Disney Guy

High school French class in my earlier lifetime. The teacher was talking about "le metro" (the subway) in Paris and "les portillons automatiques", additional gates at the platform entrances that closed as a train approached to avoid the chaos of people running to catch the train. According to various sources dredged up in Google today, the gates were discontinued in the 1960's although a few non-functioning examples remain.
 #1592502  by mbrproductions

https://www.mbta.com/projects/commuter- ... PylXsIxk6M
according to this page on the MBTA's website, the first fare gates are to be installed at North Station by late spring, with gates possibly being installed at Back Bay and South Stations at later dates. I was personally caught off guard by this news because I had thought that the will to do this had died off.
 #1592527  by Red Wing

Tapping is an improvement over showing staff to enter the platform. Tapping to get out this is going to be interesting for the 1st few weeks as Many of us old dogs learn the new trick.
 #1592533  by danib62

I wonder how the businesses that will now be inside a fare controlled area instead of accessible to the general public feel about this. I can’t imagine they’re happy.
 #1592534  by charlesriverbranch

I always pay my fare. I resent being inconvenienced by the "fare is fare" nonsense at South Station and wish these people, who are supposedly public servants, would focus on providing reliable service instead of harassing their customers.

The T's biggest problem is not fare evasion but lack of patronage. Most of the trains I use are largely empty. I'm worried that the other shoe will drop and service will be cut back. All this money spent on fare collection strikes me as essentially rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
 #1592535  by charlesriverbranch

mbrproductions wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:44 pm https://www.mbta.com/projects/commuter- ... PylXsIxk6M
according to this page on the MBTA's website, the first fare gates are to be installed at North Station by late spring, with gates possibly being installed at Back Bay and South Stations at later dates. I was personally caught off guard by this news because I had thought that the will to do this had died off.
This is insane. The people running the T are completely disconnected from reality, it seems to me. They need to be fired. Who's running for governor that I can write to?
 #1592552  by mbrproductions

Tapping is an improvement over showing staff to enter the platform. Tapping to get out this is going to be interesting for the 1st few weeks as Many of us old dogs learn the new trick.
You will still need to show staff your ticket so that they know what zone you are travelling to, which completely destroys the case for installing these gates in the first place.
I wonder how the businesses that will now be inside a fare controlled area instead of accessible to the general public feel about this. I can’t imagine they’re happy.
They won't be, I imagine they are going to protest this because it will definitely hurt business for them.
This is insane. The people running the T are completely disconnected from reality, it seems to me. They need to be fired. Who's running for governor that I can write to?
I agree, this is a terrible idea that will cause horrific congestion at rush hour times and lead to a less pleasant commute for everyone, and even without that fare gates are terrible at stopping fare evasion, one person can tap through the gate and 5 people will freeload behind him, I see it all the time on the subways. As for who to write to, I would write to Poftak or Baker
 #1592555  by Red Wing

The whole idea isn't to find what your destination is, it's to make is so Conductors are not collecting fare's onboard. Also during rush everyone knows that the on board staff can't checked all the tickets or sell all the tickets they need to. But once the train clears out I hope they start checking on the train for those zone 1 tickets in zone 3+.
 #1592559  by BandA

I don't understand. Why are they not going to "charlie card 2" for the CR system first, since CR has no automation presently. Tap in device to "punch" or cancel or process the media & spits out a timed seat pass that the rider can put in front of themselves. Tap off devices for charlie card or smart phones - if you don't tap off you end up paying the full trip fare? Tap off not necessary for paper tickets.