• Effects of fewer sleepers on prices.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JGRRinMA

Just booked a round trip WOR to CHI and back. Price was more than twice what it was in late 2020. Noticing fewer sleepers in the consists. The lack of sleepers means no more lower fares? Now everything is the ‘high bucket’ cost? I have read there are staffing problems as elsewhere.
  by Railjunkie

Staffing is an issue, equipment is an issue however getting people to pay higher fares is not. I have posted in other threads Amtrak is happy running the train sets they have nothing more nothing less. For those of you hoping for the LSL to go back to weekly service,sorry it wont. Ive heard through the rumor mill that while some trains will be coming back the LSL will continue on its current schedule.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From Hilton Suites Boca Raton--

Ok, maybe tomorrow I'll mosey over to DFB to observe the "one a day" Florida (92(23)) service that somehow I think will become permanent (OK, "throw in a bone" if you must like adding traditional dining) at 1235 just to say I've seen it.

A bonus, I'll be able to say, I've laid eyes on a V-II other than a Bagg.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From Hilton Suites Boca Raton--

Well, I did it; observed 92(23) @ Deerfield Beach.

2 P-42
4 A-Ii Coach
A-Ii Cafe
V-II Diner
5 "Private Room" 3 V-II 2 V-I
V-II Bagg

12 cars

Impressive train, but then it's the "one a day" over a route that during the 90's and up to the 06 Bush43 "pruning" had 3 3/7th's a day (1-2 Sunset, 89-90 Palm, 91-92 Star, 97-98 Meteor)
  by mcgrath618

I plan on taking the Lake Shore out to Chicago in May. I've noticed that the sleeper prices are more expensive than they have been in times past.
  by west point

It is going to take intervention higher than Amtrak management to require use of all available sleepers!
Ukraine may provide a push!
  by lordsigma12345

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:46 pm From Hilton Suites Boca Raton--

Well, I did it; observed 92(23) @ Deerfield Beach.

2 P-42
4 A-Ii Coach
A-Ii Cafe
V-II Diner
5 "Private Room" 3 V-II 2 V-I
V-II Bagg

12 cars

Impressive train, but then it's the "one a day" over a route that during the 90's and up to the 06 Bush43 "pruning" had 3 3/7th's a day (1-2 Sunset, 89-90 Palm, 91-92 Star, 97-98 Meteor)
Mr. Norman,
Interesting to hear there were 5 - I had heard they were down to 4 - they must have gone back up to 5 for the school vacation week. I hope you are having an enjoyable trip. Safe travels.