Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak/LIRR Moynihan Train Hall

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1590450  by Pensyfan19

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:18 pm Probably the best topic at which to place this laugh :P :P

Anyone know that Amtrak also serves the Occlus Train Hall at the World Trade Center?

Well, the producers of SVU apparently do.

In Episode 12, the "bad guy" is skipping town on Amtrak and is "leaving" from the WTC Oculus. Of course Captain Benson's squad is there to chase him down and nabs him before he boards a train.

Good luck, producers, finding an Amtrak train on PATH. I guess if the script called for an on-train "collar", they'd have to livery some PATH cars as Amtrak.
Although not proposed for Amtrak, we weren't too far off for rail service to the World Trade Center... Worst case of Hollywood being historically inaccurate for rail service was the 1999 remake of the Out of Towners where Boston South Station was represented by LA Union Passenger Terminal...

But for the sake of being on topic, might as well make a quick question: any stated opening date for the new shops in the current LIRR wing of Penn Station?
 #1590478  by STrRedWolf

kitchin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:56 pm I'd argue this is worse, on IMDB for Episode 12:
Goofs
Amtrak doesn't have a service to Tampa, nearest station is in Orlando.
A goof goof.
Yeah... I sent up a correction to them.
 #1590482  by Gilbert B Norman

kitchin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:56 pm It (NYC) sometimes fills in for DC and suburbs (not always convincingly: the lauded spy show The Americans).
WAAAAY OT, but did you know that Metro-North has service to Montreal?

All you need do is ask the Producers of the acclaimed TV series "The Americans". After all, they seemed to have thought so. The episodes I saw of that show (including MNRR to Montreal) sure were good. Perhaps I'll pony up to On-Demand and binge the whole thing while The Olympics are on (those are of no interest to me whatever; they should be shut down).
 #1590552  by lensovet

Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:36 pm But for the sake of being on topic, might as well make a quick question: any stated opening date for the new shops in the current LIRR wing of Penn Station?
Not sure about that, but the food court has finally opened.
 #1590553  by lensovet

kitchin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:56 pm A quick Google search of "can I film at..." shows PANYNJ may be more receptive to it at the WTC Oculus, than Amtrak at Moynihan.
No need for Google, take it from the horse's mouth: https://moynihantrainhall.nyc/about/faq/
Q. Are events, including filming and professional photo shoots, allowed at Moynihan Train Hall?

A. If you’re looking to use the space for an event, for filming or to hold a photoshoot, please send your request to [email protected] and our team will get back to you.
 #1590647  by photobug56

lensovet wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:01 am
Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:36 pm But for the sake of being on topic, might as well make a quick question: any stated opening date for the new shops in the current LIRR wing of Penn Station?
Not sure about that, but the food court has finally opened.
What food court - across the street for Amtrak passengers or in the heart of the LIRR concourse?
 #1591431  by Literalman

The food court kind of wraps around the train hall. I was there Monday. Didn't buy anything, because our departure was train 93 just after 2 pm and we had lunch earlier. Only a few places open so far: Starbucks, a salad place, a pizza place, a bakery, maybe something else.
 #1591708  by lensovet

There's one planned and it looks mostly built out, but it was not open when I checked a week ago.

The prices at the bakery were so high I couldn't bring myself to pay them even though I want to support a "local" business.
 #1591724  by Gilbert B Norman

Seems as if Moynihan "gets no R-E-S-P-E-C-T":

https://youtu.be/4MPevuK8h50

In this nationally circulated TV "spot", both GCT and Oculus are "clipped", but not Moynihan. It even features "The Duke's" likely most famous work.

So, if the intent of this ad is to bring visitors to NY, why show, however architecturally significant, two mass transit stations, when should any ad viewers choose to visit and use Amtrak, they would see Moynihan, which at least around here, gets "rave reviews".
 #1591952  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lensovet, let's give the signed and potential Moynihan concessionaires "a break" until COVID shakes out.

It may be just another reprieve as Spring and Summer '21 turned out to be, but to me at present, "there's something happening here".

Yesterday, a commentator on WBBM 780/105.9 Noon Business Report noted that RTO3X; WFH2X will become "the new normal". I hold such myself, and I think that the mass transit agencies and Amtrak NEC best move to Kubler-Ross Phase 5 - Acceptance.