Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1591669  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:55 pm Don't let the title fool you: Amtrak eyes express bus between Reading and Philadelphia

Let me summarize the article to make it clearer. Amtrak is looking to establish Thruway bus service between Reading and Philadelphia while it gets train service started up. The intent is to get the Thruway bus going as an interim express premium service, with connections to trains and twice daily round trips. Once the trains are running, the bus is terminated.
Smart. Prototyping the service, to establish customer base
 #1591679  by Bracdude181

Question.

Does this topic also refer to the Norfolk Southern freight trains which run on the Amtrak Keystone Corridor? If so, would anyone happen to know when such trains operate?
 #1591681  by mcgrath618

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:55 pm Don't let the title fool you: Amtrak eyes express bus between Reading and Philadelphia

Let me summarize the article to make it clearer. Amtrak is looking to establish Thruway bus service between Reading and Philadelphia while it gets train service started up. The intent is to get the Thruway bus going as an interim express premium service, with connections to trains and twice daily round trips. Once the trains are running, the bus is terminated.
Can't wait for the bus to get low ridership (with traffic on 76 these days, it'll likely take ages to get to either terminus) and then for Amtrak to use that as an excuse not to run the train.
 #1591704  by STrRedWolf

mcgrath618 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:08 pm Can't wait for the bus to get low ridership (with traffic on 76 these days, it'll likely take ages to get to either terminus) and then for Amtrak to use that as an excuse not to run the train.
They've said they're committed to the train -- the bus sucking will have no effect on that.
 #1591723  by rcthompson04

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:43 pm
mcgrath618 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:08 pm Can't wait for the bus to get low ridership (with traffic on 76 these days, it'll likely take ages to get to either terminus) and then for Amtrak to use that as an excuse not to run the train.
They've said they're committed to the train -- the bus sucking will have no effect on that.
Probably better off running it to a Keystone station like Exton.
 #1591736  by scratchyX1

rcthompson04 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:27 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:43 pm
Probably better off running it to a Keystone station like Exton.
What would be faster, turnpike or septa/ amtrak from Exton?
Both are exists off PA100.
Would be nice if Pottstown could have three tracks at station, and colbrookdale getting rights to meet the train. Much like M and H at new middletown station could, too.
 #1591739  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:53 pm What would be faster, turnpike or septa/ amtrak from Exton?
Both are exists off PA100.
Would be nice if Pottstown could have three tracks at station, and colbrookdale getting rights to meet the train. Much like M and H at new middletown station could, too.
Hour from Albright College to Exton station (US 422 to PA 100), then another 35 minutes to 30th station Philly... vs 1h15m just gunning it down I-176 and I-76. So... how's traffic on the PA Turnpike?
 #1591752  by checkmatechamp13

I would try my hand at a Reading - Lancaster service. Would probably have some independent utility, and would better leverage the existing Keystone infrastructure (also it makes for easier connections to points west, notably to Pittsburgh). One would be able to catch a bus around lunchtime to make the connection, rather than early in the morning (and vice versa in the afternoon...needless to say, there would have to be at least a midday trip thrown in, and ideally bihourly service or better)

Pottstown to Philadelphia can already be accomplished by taking the #93 bus to Norristown and making your way from there.
 #1591763  by rcthompson04

I would do Reading’s existing bus station/old train station to Exton via 176, 76 and 100. That is 40 minutes then another 30 via Amtrak to 30th Street.

The other option I see is Lancaster via 222. That is longer as it is a similar ride to the station but a far longer train ride.

Anything going all the way from Reading to Philadelphia by bus will be a nightmare.
 #1591783  by rcthompson04

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:52 pm Question.

Does this topic also refer to the Norfolk Southern freight trains which run on the Amtrak Keystone Corridor? If so, would anyone happen to know when such trains operate?
I am curious what trains run out there as well and when was the last time freight operated east of Frazer.
 #1592135  by Bob Roberts

How did this slip past us? Its interesting to see new frequencies begin to appear:
PITTSBURGH — Norfolk Southern and the state of Pennsylvania are finalizing an agreement for up to $170.8 million in infrastructure improvements that will allow a second daily Amtrak train between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, a route currently served by the Pittsburgh-New York Pennsylvanian.
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... urg-train/
 #1592165  by Gilbert B Norman

A couple of points; first Messrs. Barcdude and Thompson, Topper routes most of his Philly originating freight to or through HBG over his RDG. Of course, he must use the PRR West of there and with plant being reduced to the level needed to support the PSR model of train operations, additional sidings will be needed to restore "a pre-Bush43 pruning" level of passenger trains.

Gone are the days when the BN simply "put back the North Coast Limited" after Sen. Mansfield delivered his "or else" one month after A-Day. The road's passenger train infrastructure (physical and human) was still intact. Not so today.