Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1590528  by R36 Combine Coach

Alphaboi wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:03 am Will the new Scranton-NYC service be run as a new Keystone Service line?
I prefer "Lackawanna Service", not just because of the railroad's heritage, but also the region as
the Lackawanna region.
 #1590570  by scratchyX1

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:11 pm
Alphaboi wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:03 am Will the new Scranton-NYC service be run as a new Keystone Service line?
I prefer "Lackawanna Service", not just because of the railroad's heritage, but also the region as
the Lackawanna region.
Still fits with my idea of naming after First nations names for local waterways.
Lackawanna and schuylkill service.
But Keystone should keep that name.
 #1590621  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:55 am Still fits with my idea of naming after First nations names for local waterways.
Lackawanna and schuylkill service.
But Keystone should keep that name.
I'm with those names. Just need to get tribal approval and it's golden.
 #1590641  by ExCon90

Except that Schuylkill is of Dutch origin -- not exactly the First Inhabitants, but maybe far enough back to be grandfathered? (Didn't the NYC have a train at one time called the Peter Stuyvesant?
That might serve as a precedent.)
 #1590668  by STrRedWolf

ExCon90 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:34 pm Except that Schuylkill is of Dutch origin -- not exactly the First Inhabitants, but maybe far enough back to be grandfathered? (Didn't the NYC have a train at one time called the Peter Stuyvesant?
That might serve as a precedent.)
Well, that and as mentioned before, the route largely follows the Schuylkill River. So it would get in for more than one reason.
 #1590913  by TheOneKEA

Over on the Avelia Liberty thread a question was asked about the state of the Keystone catenary and the electric capacity of the 138kV transmission system associated with the route. Has Amtrak given up on the replacement of the 1ED and 2ED transmission circuits from Zoo to Earnest? The Wikipedia article on the 25Hz transmission system and some of the threads on this forum have strongly implied that the lack of capacity of these circuits and the loss of the Trenton Cutoff circuit(s) to transmit power from Richmond are contributors to the limited electric capacity of the Keystone. What are the practical limits of distributing power from Safe Harbor, Lamokin and Richmond to the Keystone transmission lines and the catenary?
 #1590926  by rcthompson04

My general understanding is that the problem is the 1915 system still place between Paoli and Zoo (a few spots have been replaced). Ironically as a rider for SEPTA and Amtrak this is the section that seems to have fewer reliability issues. West of Malvern and east of Parkesburg seems to have a lot more problems.

On a side note, some poles are being replaced just east of Saint Davids.
 #1591632  by STrRedWolf

Don't let the title fool you: Amtrak eyes express bus between Reading and Philadelphia

Let me summarize the article to make it clearer. Amtrak is looking to establish Thruway bus service between Reading and Philadelphia while it gets train service started up. The intent is to get the Thruway bus going as an interim express premium service, with connections to trains and twice daily round trips. Once the trains are running, the bus is terminated.