Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1590135  by eolesen

Yup. Acela enthusiasts want to see them on the Keystones but the mechanics want them turned into museum pieces or razor blades... those trainsets have been ridden hard and put up wet, and aren't anywhere near as durable as a Budd or Pullman....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1590164  by rcthompson04

eolesen wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:00 pm Yup. Acela enthusiasts want to see them on the Keystones but the mechanics want them turned into museum pieces or razor blades... those trainsets have been ridden hard and put up wet, and aren't anywhere near as durable as a Budd or Pullman....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Does anyone think PennDOT would pay for such additional expense? They cannot even pay for a cafe car.
 #1590167  by STrRedWolf

rcthompson04 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:13 pm Does anyone think PennDOT would pay for such additional expense? They cannot even pay for a cafe car.
You got a point, although it's tempered by the fact that the food quality is beaten out by 7-Eleven...

Or Royal Farms...

Probably Wawa. Haven't tried their burgers yet. And Sheets is slated to come in my area in the next few years.
 #1590191  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:43 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:13 pm Does anyone think PennDOT would pay for such additional expense? They cannot even pay for a cafe car.
You got a point, although it's tempered by the fact that the food quality is beaten out by 7-Eleven...

Or Royal Farms...

Probably Wawa. Haven't tried their burgers yet. And Sheets is slated to come in my area in the next few years.
Wawa is above rofo , but just barely.
There's now a sheetz around bwi.
Honestly, is there enough distance on keystone to even Merit a cafe?
 #1590194  by Matt Johnson

scratchyX1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:51 pm
Philly - Harrisburg, maybe not. New York - Harrisburg, arguably yes. I think gone are the days of entire 85 ft cars devoted to cafe car service. The new Acela of course has shorter TGV length coaches, and a more compact cafe car design. I'm not sure what the food service will look like on the new Siemens fleet.
 #1590195  by ExCon90

Considering the time of day people will be traveling, I would say yes even from Philadelphia because if you can get coffee and danish on the train you don't have to eat beforehand or after arrival; and if you're driving you'll have to get something on the way, adding 30 to 45 minutes on a two-hour trip. Coming back from a day in Harrisburg there should be a lively demand for refreshments. I don't know whether Amcafe revenue would cover the operating costs of the service, but I think the presence of a cafe car could be the determining factor for many people in favor of the train versus driving.
 #1590206  by Gilbert B Norman

Matt Johnson wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:11 am I think gone are the days of entire 85 ft cars devoted to cafe car service.
Interesting point, Mr. Johnson.

Now what I think is overlooked (likely because many of the members here weren't even born) is that the A-I's as delivered configuration included revenue space in all of the Food Service cars. However, save the Business Class cars with 2-1 seating (formerly AmClubs), revenue seating has been removed and replaced with tables (ostensibly so passengers can consume purchases and not to become the crew's "rolling Union Hall".
 #1590208  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:51 pm Wawa is above rofo , but just barely.
There's now a sheetz around bwi.
I'm just south of BWI. The Sheetz isn't there yet. They're in the planning stage for building it.

For the Keystone, it's 3.5 hours between Harrisburg and NYC. I think that merits a cafe, but Harrisburg would need supply reloading.
 #1590211  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Red Wing, that is not Amtrak's call.

The sponsoring agency, the NNEPRA, wanted such as part of their contract. Since the Boston & Maine never joined Amtrak (no need as they were "out" before A-Day), there was no Food & Beverage (or trains) between Boston and Portland. As a result, they were able to install an outside contractor with non-Agreement staff, resulting in a lesser cost to provide F&B on the route.

Finally, there has never been a "rerun" of the Empire Service-Subway sandwich fiasco.
 #1590215  by Red Wing

More to the point is that the Downeaster and the Keystones are both funded and contracted by the State of Maine and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If Pennsylvania wanted to have food they could have it just like Maine. As you said there are a few more Labor concerns though that would make the price more for Pennsylvania. But one thing that Maine does right is highlighting local food and beverages.