Railroad Forums 

• Say goodbye to the WSDOT Talgos

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1589927  by Greg Moore

I'm confused? Did Amtrak open a line in Lagos?
Or did I end up in the wrong forum on railroad.net?

Seriously, once they're out of Amtrak's hands, are they really an Amtrak topic?
 #1589942  by electricron

scratchyX1 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:34 am Are talgo engineers going with them? I thought part of the expense is that a Talgo engineer needs to be onboard each train, for making adjustments.
An entirely new contract of sale was probably made between Talgo and Nigeria, for these two Talgo trainsets. All the specifics could have changed. What was great for the goose may not be for the gander. Why would you think Nigeria would make the same agreement with Talgo as the State of Wisconsin?

Some perspective is needed here about an on board technician.
Vancouver British Columbia to Eugene, Oregon is 679 kilometers, the Hiawatha train between Milwaukee and Chicago is 148 kilometers, the red line in Lagos, Nigeria will be less than 25 kilometers. A Talgo technician could walk to the trainset to fix it in Nigeria faster than one could helicopter in for a fix in Washington-Oregon states, or drive to the train for a fix in Illinois-Wisconsin.
Additionally, the Lagos trainsets will probably rest overnight in the same maintenance depot where any repairs can be made, these trainsets would not have been resting overnight in the same maintenance depot in Milwaukee.

I doubt an onboard Talgo technician will be needed in Lagos.
Why do so many latch on to specific contracts specification between one set of organizations will always be the same for everyone else?
 #1589943  by eolesen

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:57 pm I'm confused? Did Amtrak open a line in Lagos?
Or did I end up in the wrong forum on railroad.net?

Seriously, once they're out of Amtrak's hands, are they really an Amtrak topic?
Yup.

They were never owned by Amtrak and never operated in service, so......
 #1589944  by David Benton

I have been to Lagos, albeit 30 years ago. I don't think there will be a maintenance contract. They will make the trains African, in style and maintenance. I don't think a European maintenance regime would work. Back then, it was considered a dangerous city, where most European s refused to leave the airport hotels, and most business was conducted there. I found the locals friendly, and didn't feel in danger in the city. Apart from the mosquitos, which could drink an elephant under the table.
 #1589968  by scratchyX1

David Benton wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:35 am I have been to Lagos, albeit 30 years ago. I don't think there will be a maintenance contract. They will make the trains African, in style and maintenance. I don't think a European maintenance regime would work. Back then, it was considered a dangerous city, where most European s refused to leave the airport hotels, and most business was conducted there. I found the locals friendly, and didn't feel in danger in the city. Apart from the mosquitos, which could drink an elephant under the table.
What's an african train style?
You mean, the Lagos that Fela and Tony Allen sang of.
 #1590002  by Matt Johnson

It does seem an odd application for 125 mph rated trainsets outfitted for intercity service, but I'm glad to see they'll be getting use somewhere.

Do we know why even the Series 8 Talgos fell out of favor with Oregon and Washington? Reportedly a deal had been in the works to deploy the Wisconsin sets in Cascades service, but Washington DOT wouldn't agree to the terms. Is it a genuine safety concern? Operational cost? A sweet sales pitch by Siemens for its new coaches?

I assume this means the two Series 8 Talgos currently in Cascades use are on borrowed time. I wonder if they'll be headed overseas eventually as well.
 #1590005  by ST Saint

Matt Johnson wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:03 pm It does seem an odd application for 125 mph rated trainsets outfitted for intercity service, but I'm glad to see they'll be getting use somewhere.

Do we know why even the Series 8 Talgos fell out of favor with Oregon and Washington? Reportedly a deal had been in the works to deploy the Wisconsin sets in Cascades service, but Washington DOT wouldn't agree to the terms. Is it a genuine safety concern? Operational cost? A sweet sales pitch by Siemens for its new coaches?

I assume this means the two Series 8 Talgos currently in Cascades use are on borrowed time. I wonder if they'll be headed overseas eventually as well.
I've just always assumed since Cascades is getting the first batch of Siemens coaches and cab cars from the Amtrak order, they're probably just going to standardize what they operate and get rid of the remaining Talgo sets due to the bad taste in their mouths from wreck.

I'm not even sure I've seen it confirmed anywhere (unless I'm forgetting) that they are definitely getting rid of the remaining sets, but I would not be surprised if they do with the new fleet on the way in the next two, three-ish years. They have eight train-sets on order according to this video (which appeared to do some research within Siemens): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk6A75br7xY
Screengrab:

I guess we'll know in realistically a 'not very long' time.
Edit: I do want to reiterate, none of this seems to have been confirmed. I have no idea the credibility of the guy from the video's "source."
Last edited by ST Saint on Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1590029  by STrRedWolf

Matt Johnson wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:03 pm It does seem an odd application for 125 mph rated trainsets outfitted for intercity service, but I'm glad to see they'll be getting use somewhere.

Oregon agreed, but since the crash... I don't know if they're on the chopping block. The Talgo Series 6 is already out. If there's no Talgo cars running now, I can only assume they're being shipped or scrapped.
 #1590034  by ConstanceR46

ST Saint wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:20 pm
snip
Screengrab:

I guess we'll know in realistically a 'not very long' time.
i'd like to remind everyone that there's still not a single piece of verified info backing up that vid's claims
 #1590084  by wigwagfan

Matt Johnson wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:03 pmDo we know why even the Series 8 Talgos fell out of favor with Oregon and Washington? Reportedly a deal had been in the works to deploy the Wisconsin sets in Cascades service, but Washington DOT wouldn't agree to the terms. Is it a genuine safety concern? Operational cost? A sweet sales pitch by Siemens for its new coaches?

To the best of my knowledge there is absolutely no plan whatsoever for ODOT to dispose of the two trainsets it owns. While WSDOT couldn't come to terms with Talgo for purchasing/leasing/acquiring the two sets spurned by Wisconsin, there's no real reason, motivation, incentive or need for ODOT to scrap its $40M plus investment (that spends most of its time in another state, and created a number of good quality jobs, all of which are located 170 miles north of its border and contributes $0.00 to its income or property tax base.)

That said, the Talgo sets are overrated and offer little to no operational advantage compared to other equipment, but have unique maintenance costs, require longer platforms (more maintenance), and frankly offer a less quality ride (going from a Talgo to a Superliner is quite noticable, the Superliner offers a far smoother ride, even with its higher center of gravity). The walk from the #9 car to the Bistro (for most of your Portland-Seattle riders) is a pain in the butt, and the lack of automatic doors is a real pain for what's supposed to be a corridor service (hence most of your long distance riders get shoved to one end of the train, furthest away from the Bistro, even though they are the riders most likely to use the Bistro.) And the seat pitch on the Talgos are on par with a Boeing 737. But I'm typically only on a 737 for two hours (Portland-Los Angeles) but stuck on the Talgo for three and a half hours to Seattle.
 #1590086  by wigwagfan

scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:30 am For a 22 mile Metro line, which will have 500000 riders a day. I'm wondering what modifications will be needed.
Hopefully they'll automate the doors, otherwise every platform stop will be a pain in the butt having to manually open - and then close - each door individually.

Also the seats will be used, abused even more than they already are.

Finally not sure why a 22 mile commuter line needs a cafe and bistro car, unless those cars will be scrapped. The power and baggage cars are overkill but without them, there's no coupler to a locomotive or cab car.
 #1590088  by eolesen

Have to wonder how hard it would be to gut the bistro and café cars into bike or standing room cars? It's a metro...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1590353  by wigwagfan

eolesen wrote:Have to wonder how hard it would be to gut the bistro and café cars into bike or standing room cars? It's a metro...
The baggage car already has bike racks built in...
 #1590524  by R36 Combine Coach

wigwagfan wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:29 pm Finally not sure why a 22 mile commuter line needs a cafe and bistro car, unless those cars will be scrapped.
The Staten Island Ferry is even shorter and has a lunch counter on board. Might be the shortest transit
service with food service.