Railroad Forums 

• I168 derailed at CP 2 leaving Seneca yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1589854  by videobruce

At 805am departing Seneca Van Yard , I168 derailed one 'five pack' and one part of a '3 pack' pulling thru CP2 off '2 in the flats'; crossing over to track 2 effectually blocking everything including the NS at the 'Target'. This was around 20 cars from the head end.

Apparently, a piece of rail broke off under movement. The current plan is to make a cut, advance the marker.
Amtrak 48 was delayed by 90 minutes.

(correction to the symbol number, not use to the new numbers)
Last edited by videobruce on Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1589862  by videobruce

Track 2 clear around 1030am 48 got over an hour delay. I4 right behind him.

Single track from Draw to CP 5
Last edited by videobruce on Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1589875  by videobruce

It was a great place for Train Orders !

I corrected the symbol number, sorry about that.
 #1589893  by videobruce

Looks like the broken rail was in '2 in the flats' that wiped out the switch off of Tk 3 completely.
They are giving Tk 1 back to the dispatcher shortly. There was no track damage there.

Note just left of the 3 gray xformers between the signal bridge and the cantilever for the location.
 #1589972  by SST

videobruce wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:46 pm Looks like the broken rail was in '2 in the flats' that wiped out the switch off of Tk 3 completely.
They are giving Tk 1 back to the dispatcher shortly. There was no track damage there.

Note just left of the 3 gray xformers between the signal bridge and the cantilever for the location.
Where was the camera man standing when this picture was taken? I would guess somebody climbed the bridge over the Buffalo River and took a zoom shot.

Talk about climate change..... :-D
 #1589980  by videobruce

Or something far more hi-tech and safer.

It sounds as they 'straight railed' Tk 3 at CP 2 judging by the conversation waiting for the 'Snap Switch' from Atlas to be ordered for '2 in the flats'.
 #1591237  by Flat-Wheeler

Its been awhile since I was at CP Draw or CP 2. I don't have my track layout schematic handy at the moment. Too much to do other than look up track maps. Is that where the Compromise branch splits off (I see the diamond) ? Looks like a NS yard to the left ????
 #1591240  by videobruce

Yes to both questions. That was one of the two major realignments back in the early 80's (83 & 84 to be precise) to swing the Main over to the BCK ROW. The other being Tower 49/CP437.
The small yards of the NS and a siding for the BS are there. There use to be 6 'diamonds' at BC tower back in the 60's when there was the lead to Concrete Central when it was in operation.
 #1591241  by videobruce

What you don't see in the previous photo; the WE of CP Draw formerly known as the "Target" where the N&W crossed the BCK.
The original alignment of 'Draw' is the 2nd pic before the NS streamlined their part a few years ago.
Attachments:
NS Draw reconfigure small.JPG
NS Draw reconfigure small.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 691 times
19 CP Draw WE from above.jpg
19 CP Draw WE from above.jpg (929.04 KiB) Viewed 695 times