Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1589717  by krispy

I would say somewhere on the OYB, just from the style of power lines. Where ever it is, it's near a steep grade, look at the sand on the rail. One of the curves between Sea Cliff and Glen Cove, maybe by the dog park.
 #1589724  by Pensyfan19

FrankAndCindy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 pm Hi , I think it is in Stony Brook ,looking west. Frank and Cindy
I'm not sure since Stony Brook has two signals next to the switch: neither of which seem to be present in the photo, unless if they were built later.
 #1589736  by krispy

Stony Brook is a possibility, the east end does have a curve like that and it's on the crest of a hill which would explain the sand accumulation. The photographer is near the existing pedestrian crossing on the college side, and the road visible before the engine could be Old Country Rd vicinity of 7-11.

Not sure of the era of that consist, but pretty sure that predated the signals you see now. SB to PJ was the last on the branch to get signals and for some time it was manual block. The power lines would have changed and the telegraphy poles would have been long gone, but again a possibility.
 #1589741  by nyandw

krispy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:28 am Stony Brook is a possibility, the east end does have a curve like that and it's on the crest of a hill which would explain the sand accumulation. The photographer is near the existing pedestrian crossing on the college side, and the road visible before the engine could be Old Country Rd vicinity of 7-11.

Not sure of the era of that consist, but pretty sure that predated the signals you see now. SB to PJ was the last on the branch to get signals and for some time it was manual block. The power lines would have changed and the telegraphy poles would have been long gone, but again a possibility.
The photographer indicated 1968.
 #1589758  by krispy

I'll stick with my original estimate, and I'll wager a Maxiburger that's the curve south of Glen Cove, south of Duck Pond Road, and that's Pearsall Ave adjacent to it.
 #1589827  by scopelliti

Hey, one I can answer. The loco is an Alco Century 420. The Long Island purchased two batches. The first were the L-1 (200-221) purchased in late 1963. The others purchased several years later (1968?) were the L-2 model (different trucks was the big difference) - numbers 222-229. All were four wheel trucks and had 2000 horsepower.
 #1589838  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: After looking at this photo I do agree with the thought that this is in the Stony Brook vicinity
with NYS Route 25A behind the train. The LILCO power line poles with the angled crossarms are another
location tipoff along with the LIRR pole line which supports the thick cable wire for the PJ Branch CTC.
The telegraph-style crossarms and any remaining single copper wires were removed in the early 1970s.

The train size alone is another indication that this is a Port Jefferson Branch train - not a Oyster Bay Branch
train - which tended to be of shorter length. PS is correct identifying the ALCO C420/L1 on the train.
The first three cars were ping-pongs with at least some P72s towards the rear with the orange window stripe.
This train contains no visible cars in the MTA color scheme which does makes sense in 1968.

It's always good to try and identify locations such as this one - which unfortunately the original photographer
did not record the location and exact date - but remembered the year 1968 which helps...MACTRAXX
 #1589845  by tomdoyle409

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: After looking at this photo I do agree with the thought that this is in the Stony Brook vicinity
with NYS Route 25A behind the train. The LILCO power line poles with the angled crossarms are another
location tipoff along with the LIRR pole line which supports the thick cable wire for the PJ Branch CTC.
The telegraph-style crossarms and any remaining single copper wires were removed in the early 1970s.

The train size alone is another indication that this is a Port Jefferson Branch train - not a Oyster Bay Branch
train - which tended to be of shorter length. PS is correct identifying the ALCO C420/L1 on the train.
The first three cars were ping-pongs with at least some P72s towards the rear with the orange window stripe.
This train contains no visible cars in the MTA color scheme which does makes sense in 1968.

It's always good to try and identify locations such as this one - which unfortunately the original photographer
did not record the location and exact date - but remembered the year 1968 which helps...MACTRAXX
The OB line did have trains of this length in 1968. The one with which I am most familiar left LIC at roughly 5:28 PM. If I recall correctly, the first car was a private ex-Pullman heavy weight parlor car, named either Oyster Bay or Locust Valley, followed by two or three P72’s, with an ex B&M bar car spliced in between, with four to five P54’s taking up the rear.

As to the location, I can’t say, as my station was East Williston.
 #1589852  by belpaire

krispy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:51 am I'll stick with my original estimate, and I'll wager a Maxiburger that's the curve south of Glen Cove, south of Duck Pond Road, and that's Pearsall Ave adjacent to it.
While it does look quite a bit like that location, I'm going to disagree. The land on the inside of the curve slopes down significantly at the edge of the tracks, where it is quite flat in the photo.

My thought Stony Brook, looking east. When do I get my burger?
 #1589857  by RGlueck

I'm certain I took the photo at Stony Brook while walking to my car after classes. I took the picture because it was good setting . I attended SUNY Stony Brook from 1971 to 73, which may help with the date.

I'm a bit shocked to read that a contributor didn't recognize the locomotive model, but in the day, these were standard commuter power. LIRR was all ALCO after 1964 and up until the dark days of EMD defiling the tracks.
Prior to 1964, it was FM power, RS1's, RS3's, then RS2's.

Today it's all subway cars and plastic locomotives. Railfans, take back your gray and orange heritage!!!
 #1589959  by 4behind2

East end of BK. Track closest to the camera is a siding, and there is a "T" box most likely at the switch.

I'll take the Maxiburger with an egg cream.