Railroad Forums 

• Say goodbye to the WSDOT Talgos

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1589683  by Gilbert B Norman

Well; FINALLY

Next will be to find out from what Port they will be shipped (uh, last time I checked, there is no Port of Beech Grove) and their intended routing to get there.

Time for "photo line".

Meanwhile, "over there"; you'd think you were on Brightline (well, at least for this TV news report):

https://youtu.be/-ojzV5b05yE
 #1589694  by bostontrainguy

Wow, surprise, surprise, surprise.

The Michigan route would have been a great testing ground for them but Trains magazine said politics got in the way of that idea. Sad to see such an innovative product unused but at least they weren't scrapped.
 #1589699  by NotYou

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:08 pm Well; FINALLY

Next will be to find out from what Port they will be shipped (uh, last time I checked, there is no Port of Beech Grove) and their intended routing to get there.

Time for "photo line".

Meanwhile, "over there"; you'd think you were on Brightline (well, at least for this TV news report):

https://youtu.be/-ojzV5b05yE
If they are sitting in Indiana, my guess would be Port of VA (Hampton Roads) or Savannah, GA thinking geographically. Shipping something specialized like a train is probably going to depend more on a port and carrier w/ those capabilities though, which is outside my limited industry knowledge.
 #1589700  by kitchin

I've seen train exports on Lamberts Point in Norfolk. Part of that facility handles oddball stuff that's not coal or container. But I don't know what train shop customers it handles in particular.
 #1589727  by ExCon90

According to reports they're intended for a 22-mile commuter line serving Lagos. Calls to mind
memories of the Aerotrain ending up in Rock Island commuter service. "Nothing new under the sun ..."
 #1589781  by scratchyX1

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:40 pm According to reports they're intended for a 22-mile commuter line serving Lagos. Calls to mind
memories of the Aerotrain ending up in Rock Island commuter service. "Nothing new under the sun ..."
Wow,
I was thinking the same thing, as both are overkill for the service they are put into.
 #1589807  by NotYou

kitchin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:29 pm I've seen train exports on Lamberts Point in Norfolk. Part of that facility handles oddball stuff that's not coal or container. But I don't know what train shop customers it handles in particular.
Baltimore wouldn't surprise me either. It handles a lot of non-container traffic (your Mercedes probably came through there if you live in the USofA).
 #1589810  by GojiMet86

What Lagos is building is......kinda confusing. The Lagos Rail Mass Transit is often described as light-rail, when clearly the trains are NOT light-rail, but heavy rail. No LRV or trolleys here. Lagos has already ordered metro (subway style) 4-car trainsets from CRRC Dalian, and before that, they had planned to use retired Toronto H5/H6 trains before they realized these were too old. And now, they have......Talgos.

To add to the confusion, the Red Line will share tracks with the existing mainline Nigerian railroad. Maybe Japanese-style metros running on mainline railroads? MTA R160s and Acelas on the same tracks?......

https://www.railway-technology.com/proj ... sstransit/
Nigeria’s largest city, Lagos, is constructing a light rail system under a public-private partnership (PPP). The Lagos Rail Mass Transit System project is sponsored by the Lagos State Government (LSG) and being developed by Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) on behalf of LSG.

LAMATA has proposed seven lines in the network: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple, Brown and Orange.

China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) was appointed as the contractor for the construction of the first line (Blue). The contract includes the fundamental design and development of the rail infrastructure.

CCECC is constructing the Blue line in two phases. The first phase includes the National Theatre to Mile 2 section and the second involves the Mile 2 to Okokomaiko section.

Construction of the Blue line was initially expected to be completed by 2011 but was delayed to 2020 due to funding issues. Alstom also partnered with LAMATA for the completion of Blue line.

Lagos rail mass transit system project
The first two lines of the urban light rail project are estimated to cost $1.4bn. The Red line will be 30km long and will run between Marina and Agbado. The Blue line will be 27km long, connecting Okokomaiko to Marina.

“LAMATA has proposed seven lines in the Lagos network.”
The Blue line will cost $1.2bn and is being funded entirely by the Lagos State Government (LSG). In May 2012, the Lagos government commenced negotiations with potential investors for the operation and maintenance of the line.

The 30km-long Red line will use the existing Nigeria Railway Corporation corridor, constructed through a concession arrangement. The construction of the line will commence in 2021.

The concession contract will be for the operation and maintenance of the lines for 25 years. The scope of work for the concessionaire will also include design and construction of the infrastructure associated with the performance and support of the lines.

The transaction adviser for the Red line is Dar Al-Handasah. CPCS Transcom is the transaction adviser for the Blue line. The two transaction advisers conducted feasibility studies and conceptual design work for their respective lines.

Line routes of Lagos rail mass transit system
The Blue line starts at Marina station and runs along Ebute Ero and Iddo stations, same as the Red line. From Iddo, the Blue line running on an elevated platform moves along the National Theatre station. It makes a descent at Iganmu to join the expanded Lagos-Badagry Expressway. The expansion, conceived to ease link between Nigeria and neighbouring West African states, Alaba, Mile 2, Festac, Alakija, Trade Fair station, Volkswagen station, LASU, finally reaches the Okokomaiko station where it ends. One of the two bridges being built for the Blue line is at Mile 2.

“CCECC won the construction contract for the Blue line. “
The construction of a sea-crossing bridge section of the Blue line was completed by CCECC in December 2019.

The Red line begins as a double line at Marina and runs through Ebute Ero ending at Iddo. It then runs northwards via a reverse curve to reach Ebute Metta. The line goes straight to Yaba, Mushin and Oshodi before reaching Ikeja. At the Ikeja station, the Red line is linked to the line from the international and domestic airport terminal. From Ikeja, a single line will run to the airport terminals. The Red line moves as a double line further northwards from Ikeja to pass through Agege, Iju and finally reaches Agbado.

The passenger railway service run by Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) from the north will terminate at the Agbado interchange. Passengers travelling to Marina using NRC services will change train at Agbado and continue their journey on the Red line. Some of the Red line section from Agbado will run on NRC corridor tracks.

Island-style platforms
The Red and Blue lines will have 13 stations each. Three stations in the south end of the Red line will be shared with the Blue line. The two railway lines will, therefore, comprise 23 stations in total.

The stations will have island-style platforms and commuter payment systems. Public address and electronic information screens will be installed in each station. The Ebute Ero station will also have an escalator.

Several rail crossings with elevated road structures will be built along the lines. A total of 35 pedestrian bridges will be constructed over the Nigerian Railway Corridor. Cable ducts and walkways, in addition to drainage system with two walls, will be built along different sections of the lines.

Between Marina and Iddo stations, a combined 5km viaduct rail over the road and a cable-stay bridge will be built, linking the Red and Blue lines.

Other infrastructures being built as part of the project include stations; signalling, control and communications (SC&C) systems; supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems; depot and workshop facilities; an operations control centre and a training facility for train drivers.

“The Blue line will be 27km long, connecting Okokomaiko to Marina.”

Rolling stock
The urban rail network is anticipated to operate with 12-car trains, with more cars added according to demand. The maximum number of cars will, however, be limited to 16 a train. The 16-car trains will be 352m long and12-car trains 264m long. The cars will accommodate 300 passengers each.

Signalling and communications
The light rail system will employ the latest train authorisation systems, automatic train protection (ATP) and in-cab signalling in all of its lines. The wayside equipment will be minimised so that the drivers will not exceed the authorised movement limits.

The ATP will help to maintain the speed restrictions set on the lines. To ensure that the signalling is available during power cuts, a backup power system will be fitted.
This is a Lagos Rail Mass Transit map:

#1589823  by eolesen

Using hand me downs is nothing new in Africa. Glad they won't rust to the rails any longer than they have in the ten years or so they've never been operated in revenue service...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1589824  by electricron

Looking at the map provided, the existing green line is a narrow gauge intercity railroad line that is longer than hundreds of kilometers in length reaching all the way to the national capital. This new red line is being built to standard gauge, and will eventually reach that far as well, although the local metro will only be the first twenty of so kilometers. Likewise for the blue line. Chinese corporations are building the new rail lines and new rolling stock for most of the new rail infrastructure being built in Nigeria. So, it is surprising to see them purchase the two Talgo sets - which are practically brand new.
But take a second look on the dimensions of the Talgo sets. They are lightweight, single axle cars because they are rather short individually, with wheel spacing pretty much equivalent to all metros around the world - possibly even shorter in length. They are also not too tall either. The cab car on one end means they will not have to turn the train. The can place whatever electric powered locomotive they will be running on the red line as they desire.
Initially, they were discussing 7 round trips per day for the local metro on the red line, which I'm pretty sure two Talgo sets can do easily. And let's not forget the existing green line, will it be abandoned or refurbished?

Talgos may not be the best choice, but are certainly capable of providing the initial service. And as the red line grows in lenght, who know, maybe the Talgos will fit in better with longer distance runs.
 #1589849  by Gilbert B Norman

Maybe the two Oregon Series 8 will join these two over there. OnTrackOnLine reports that all Series 6 have been withdrawn and that those owned by the two State agencies have been scrapped; the Amtrak owned now reside at Beech Grove.

So soon this may come to pass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAG-yYELTQg

I've noted this at other postings; I never got to ride Pat's Talgos as a teenager (train hating Father: "you want to take a train into New York; just to ride one to New Haven, and then another back to Stamford?"; think we all where that went) and my only ride on such was May '90 Bilbao to Madrid. That was a "leave it" experience.

Final thought off rails: with Chinese construction, can CHMILACTS be far behind?
 #1589851  by scratchyX1

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:18 am Maybe the two Oregon Series 8 will join these two over there. OnTrackOnLine reports that all Series 6 have been withdrawn and that those owned by the two State agencies have been scrapped; the Amtrak owned now reside at Beech Grove.
Are talgo engineers going with them? I thought part of the expense is that a Talgo engineer needs to be onboard each train, for making adjustments.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Resolving a report.