Railroad Forums 

• Union Response to BNSF's New "HiViz" Attendance Policy

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#1589344  by ExCon90

I've never been involved in labor relations, but I thought it was basic that if certain provisions are stated in the contract they can't be changed unilaterally -- irrespective of whether it's a good idea or a terrible idea neither side can change it without renegotiating the contract. Who on the railroad, whether or not in management, wouldn't know that?

On a general legal question, I believe that if a contract is ambiguous in any respect it is to be construed in favor of the party who didn't write the contract. What happens if a labor agreemeent, jointly written by both parties, is ambiguous?
 #1596096  by John_Perkowski

#1596107  by eolesen

Glassdoor says the average salary for a conductor is $84K and top out in the $130K range....

High salaries (and jobs with high salary potential) often come with high expectations.
 #1596182  by hrsn

Perhaps two crew members fell asleep...and nothing happened. Maybe this happens more often than is reported. Someone is concluding that full automation of freight operations (with one crew attendant to handle emergencies) is the way to go. IOW, the argument seems to be give crew better breaks for lifestyle, but it also cuts against having crews at all.