Railroad Forums 

• Next Locomotive For the T?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1589059  by mbrproductions

I remember reading something here that claimed the MBTA was planning on unifying under the GE GEVO platform of prime movers, while many other people are banking on Siemens Chargers (QSK95) what are your thoughts of what the MBTA could/should go with in the future with the Commuter Rail?
 #1589080  by MBTA3247

IIRC the HSP46 was the only GEVO-based passenger locomotive ever built for service in North America, and they can't make any more due to it only being Tier 3-compliant. By default, the T's next purchase will have to be something different.
 #1589082  by Trinnau

The T has extended the service life of their F40 fleet by rebuilding them and with their HSPs being new it means they are not in as much of a power shortage as they were. They have some time, though not a lot, to make a decision on their next iteration of locomotives. There is a big push for electrification and MUs along with discussion about battery-electric and dual-mode locomotives.

Let's just put it this way. I would be very surprised if the T's next purchase was a pure diesel locomotive given the current path the MBTA has established for commuter rail service going forward.
 #1589093  by mbrproductions

I wouldn't, I don't see the MBTA going forward with the EMU proposal, especially with the huge cost it would come at, and the "big push" has really only been voiced by TransitMatters, which is nothing more than just an advocacy group. Dual-modes and battery electric locomotives definitely seem more plausible but I would still lean on pure Diesel.
 #1589097  by Trinnau

The prior FMCB's decision to advance electrification is pointless without motive power of some kind that can take advantage of said wires.

With the overhaul of 39 locos (F40s + MP36s) and 40 new ones along with some limited life extension on select GP40s the T will have over 80 diesel locomotives available for the next 10-15 years without need for a new procurement. Starting a new procurement in the next 3-5 years toward some kind of electric-compatible vehicles is certainly plausible alongside some infrastructure upgrades funded by the IIJA which could be designed and constructed in a 10 year period, which would coincide with the delivery of new motive power.
 #1589112  by BandA

Electric locomotives require new substations, new south-side service facilities, some additional catanery. And negotiation with Amtrak about use of their catenary.
 #1589113  by BandA

Dual-mode and battery electric locomotives make no sense for the MBTA. Small batteries for regenerative breaking or power gaps (like bridges) would be useful.
 #1589115  by Red Wing

About a month ago, the T put out an RFI for Battery Multiple Units the bid was opened on the 23rd of December.
 #1589118  by mbrproductions

The T looking to things like battery-electrics just further proves that the MBTA has no intention of electrifying the lines, and who could blame them? With the fiscal fallout the T looks to be speeding towards right now its probably way too expensive for their own good, which is why the MBTA will probably just look for cleaner Diesel Locomotives
BandA wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:42 am Electric locomotives require new substations, new south-side service facilities, some additional catanery. And negotiation with Amtrak about use of their catenary.
Amtrak screwed over MARC with the prices they had to pay Amtrak to use their catenary, which is why they plan on replacing all their electrics with chargers, Amtrak will definitely pull the same thing off on the MBTA with the Providence Line
 #1589122  by Pensyfan19

Wouldn't the rebuilt F40s satisfy this requirement? Are they Tier IV?