Railroad Forums 

• A lesson - providing material for books

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1588859  by BR&P

In the past I have provided pics for use in someone's book, and in each case (several books, 3 different authors) upon publication they sent a complimentary copy of the book. However, for another book in progress I have provided several pics and spent some time digging up history tidbits. I was recently told "It's going to be a good book, be sure you sign up to buy one before it sells out"

FWIW, I have a couple books in the works myself, and one of the folks who is familiar with the publishing end of things gave me a blank form to copy when I get to that point. It spells out exactly who is providing the material, what the material is, and what is provided in return. Without locating the form, IIRC it IS one free copy of the book. I never saw such a form with the other authors I contributed to, but they did send a book anyway.

This is 100% on me - the book people in no way led me on nor changed their tune. It just wasn't discussed, I "assumed" that since all my other experiences with other authors had been handled that way, this would be also. Lesson learned (which I should have already considered), and lesson shared with others here: be sure you have an understanding BEFORE you provide material.