Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Cancellations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1588224  by John_Perkowski

CNBC, at its 1030 update, reported Amtrak announcing crew shortage account COVID caused cancellations.

More to follow as I find aricles
 #1588228  by John_Perkowski

Link: News article from WTOP

Brief, fair use quote
Some of the cancellations:

Four trains between Washington and Springfield, Mass., were canceled between Friday and Sunday.
Overnight trains between Boston and Newport News, Virginia, between Friday and Thursday.
Four routes for long-distance trains canceled in both directions on Friday.
Trains going in both directions between New Orleans and New York on Saturday and Tuesday.
 #1588300  by urr304

Amtrak efforts rate an 'F'. So much for providing an 'essential' service. Essential service to me means that everything possible will be done to provide the service.'
 #1588312  by west point

with over 1M new cases in the last two days (*Wed & Thur) can we expect for any transportation sys to be able to operate? With each LD route using 5 -8 crew districts it will take only one isolated district sick out to cause that route to be shut down. Regionals will suffer too. Many are 4 districts. ex. Roanoke trains are 4 Roanoke, CVS, WASH, NYP - BOS
 #1588364  by eolesen

Well, some of us would agree the WaPo has been making stuff up for years...

There's only so much that Amtrak is going to announce via Twitter. Apparently individual train cancellations aren't worthy.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1588366  by Train60

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:11 pm No news releases nor notices. Nothing from Amtrak's Twitter staff.

Ether Amtrak's failing on the job and/or WaPo's making stuff up.
Apparently the following trains are not running as of 4 pm ET 1/1/2022
5 (12/31)
6 (12/31)
7 (12/31)
8 (12/31)
59 (12/31)
97 (12/31)
19 (1/1)
20 (1/1)

according to the tracking info on this site
http://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/ge ... pname=West
Last edited by Train60 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1588386  by STrRedWolf

eolesen wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:58 pm Well, some of us would agree the WaPo has been making stuff up for years...

There's only so much that Amtrak is going to announce via Twitter. Apparently individual train cancellations aren't worthy.
Given they've announced truncations due to track work or accidents on Twitter, as well as cancellations... and this is a service change, I would of expected something not only on Twitter but also on their main site as well.

Nothing.

Whoever's controlling the website must of took PTO for the entire week.
 #1588391  by jp1822

Amtrak cancelled four long distance routes for ONE day. Yes, I think COVID plays a role, but in the case of the LD trains (at least CA Zephyr and Empire Builder), that was done more as a "reset" as the trains had befallen some bad luck in operations - be it weather delays or not being able to catch up and get back on time similar to what sometimes happens with the Auto Train.

Some of the other Northeast train cancellations - being they are a little longer in nature.........a different story.
 #1588392  by John_Perkowski

urr304 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:11 pm Amtrak efforts rate an 'F'. So much for providing an 'essential' service. Essential service to me means that everything possible will be done to provide the service.'
A to the MEN
 #1588393  by John_Perkowski

jp1822 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:07 pm Amtrak cancelled four long distance routes for ONE day. Yes, I think COVID plays a role, but in the case of the LD trains (at least CA Zephyr and Empire Builder), that was done more as a "reset" as the trains had befallen some bad luck in operations - be it weather delays or not being able to catch up and get back on time similar to what sometimes happens with the Auto Train.

Some of the other Northeast train cancellations - being they are a little longer in nature.........a different story.
Once upon a time, before A Day, the Class Is had reserve consists to deploy at major termini.