• RMNE to Host C&O # 2716

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Pat Fahey

Hi
This is not a before April's fools JOKE,,, The Kentucky Railroad museum has announced that once the locomotive is Restored, and running, The locomotive will go on tour, one of its first stops will be the Railroad Museum of New England, in Thomason, Ct.
I suggest for more information you go to the Kentucky Railroad museum website, or the RYPN website. Pat
  by shadyjay

That would be awesome to see, for sure. And while it does state that CSX and NS have supported the 2716, let's not forget the only essential access in/out of the 'Naugy involves Amtrak (most likely via the Hartford Line). And also, in between the 'Naugy and the Hartford Line is a soon-to-become G&W property.

Now, if it came in the back door (Housatonic from CSX at Pittsfield down to Derby Jct), it would avoid all that, but still would need to move on MTA property, and make it down HRRC's questionable trackage to Derby. Maybe by that point in time, the HRRC will be fixed up and some excursions on the Berkshire Line may be in the offering.

Still have a few years to figure that out.
  by njtmnrrbuff

This is great news and I will do what I can to attend this amazing event!! When it's spending time in the Thomaston area, it will be interesting to see the 2716 power the excursions along the Naugatuck River. What would be nice if when they run these excursions, maybe they could run all the way to the Metro North Station in Waterbury so that way passengers coming off of MNR can connect to the steam train-not sure if this will be feasible.
  by PBMcGinnis

Amtrak does everything it can to keep CSOR, CSX and PAS trains to a minimum now between Springfield and New Haven. Plus has anyone seen the track conditions between Berlin and Waterbury? Good luck getting a steam locomotive down the line, be it under its own power or towed. Plus whomever takes over that portion from Pan Am will soon find the revenue streams won't justify the expense of a full track overhaul. It needs more than just some new ties and stick rail. It needs new surfacing and drainage.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Something tells me that the 2716 will travel on MNR’s Waterbury Line to get to Thomaston. I’m not sure if CDOT which owns the right of way of the WBL will want the steam engine to travel under its own power.
  by NaugyRR

I'm leaning more towards the Pan Am routing