Railroad Forums 

• Is there continuous double track from the West to the East coast of the USA?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1587954  by RRspatch

USRailFan wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:04 pm The question came up in a local railroad forum:
<p>
Is it possible to run across the USA from coast to coast, only on double track (not on the same company's track all the way, obviously)? Or are there any gaps?
I'm going to stick my neck out and say NO, there is no through coast to coast double track route. From what I know -

1) there is no through double track route via New Orleans on either side.
2) Chicago - Kansas City - El Paso - LA has sections of single track in New Mexico.
3) The BNSF southern Trans-con has one stretch of single track left in Oklahoma. There is another stretch in Kansas that is being double tracked now. Plans to do the Oklahoma segment are on hold.
4) The BNSF central corridor Chicago to Denver has lots of single track west of Creston, Iowa. West of Denver the old DRG&W is mostly single track to SLC.
5) The Union Pacific Chicago - Oakland line has a stretch of single track west of Reno. If this stretch was restored it coupled with CSXT or NS would give you a complete double track line coast to coast. The UP line that splits off at SLC to LA has sections of single track.
6) The BNSF northern trans-con Chicago to Seattle has lots of single track sections.
 #1611532  by Gilbert B Norman

RRspatch wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:17 am 5) The Union Pacific Chicago - Oakland line has a stretch of single track west of Reno. If this stretch was restored it coupled with CSXT or NS would give you a complete double track line coast to coast.
Sorry 'bout taking a year to respond.

In addition to the Southern Pacific line noted, Uncle Pete also has the has the former Western Pacific line that diverges from the SP Overland Route near Fernley NV, which then X's over the Sierras through Beckwourth Pass, and its more favorable gradient than has the SP's Donner. To what extent they actually operate such, means - obvious exception being Amtrak 5-6, California Zephyr - that there are two one-way railroads over the Sierras.

So in short, the UP Overland Route is double tracked end to end.