• locations-potential gated-crossings on the MEC freight main

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by nygiants21

i have compiled a list and written a short blurb about why i think the current equipment at these following crossings should be gated. i would like your opinion, so please leave it. p.s. my definition of heavy traffic is about 12 trains per day (i estimate all these crossings have about that amount

Route 9 (Main Street), Cumberland-(CURRENT: FLASHERS) high traffic (rail&road), curve on west side, royal junction nearby.

Greely Road, Cumberland-(CURRENT: FLASHERS) feet from royal junction, high traffic (rail), where oncoming mainline southbound trains cannot be seen until they have rounded the corner, due to curve. large curve on west side of crossing.

Route 231 (Intervale Road), New Gloucester-(CURRENT: FLASHERS) New Gloucester-high traffic (rail&road) curve on southbound side of crossing, other route 231 crossing has gates (SLRR)

Route 17 (Main Street), Readfield-(CURRENT: CANTELIVER&FLASHERS), Readfield-high rail traffic, medium road traffic very large curve on south side of crossing, curve on northbound side, tracks split on north side (siding)

by b&m 1566

Have there been a lot of accidents regarding those locations? Yes having up-dated equipment is always good but I don't think Guilford will be up-dating any crossings unless they fall apart/stop working.
  by dnelson

nygiants21 wrote: p.s. my definition of heavy traffic is about 12 trains per day (i estimate all these crossings have about that amount
I'd say that they have more like six trains a day.
nygiants21 wrote:Route 9 (Main Street), Cumberland-(CURRENT: FLASHERS) high traffic (rail&road), curve on west side, royal junction nearby.
Royal is two miles away. That's pretty far. I don't see what being near Royal has to do with putting gates there. I've seen the crossing but never seen a train there, so I don't know.
nygiants21 wrote:Greely Road, Cumberland-(CURRENT: FLASHERS) feet from royal junction, high traffic (rail), where oncoming mainline southbound trains cannot be seen until they have rounded the corner, due to curve. large curve on west side of crossing.
I go down to Royal all the time to watch trains, and have seen tons of cars run the gates there. With the hill on Greely Rd, it can be hard for speeding drivers to see and stop for the crossing. It should have gates.
Dan