Railroad Forums 

• Petition: Support the LIRR - Third Track Project in Garden City

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1585502  by workextra

If the Lirr is state owned, why does it need permits to replace their bridge in garden city?

At what point can the road or the state for that matter declare eminent domain to just do the work?

Lirr should also discontinue service to all harden city stations until the permit is granted. Such inconvenience would surely get them the permits.
 #1585506  by Kelly&Kelly

The LIRR does not need permits or permission from the villages. As a public benefit corporation, every attempt is made to negotiate with adjoining municipalities and reach agreements involving the operation. This is only done as a courtesy.

But often there are underlying political differences which play out in the media. Disputes can be complex and are not always what they appear to be. There are often disputes that are unrelated to the MTA that play out through these agencies. This is the case in Garden City.

The Village has been quite opposed to many unrelated progressive State policies for several years, straining their relationship and ability to work together.
 #1585533  by workextra

That’s what I though.
Long story short, if push came to shove and it was a matter of completing the project or not, they could just get the work done and deal with it later.

K&K do you know if they plan to make that bridge in question wider for 2 lines?
I could see that creating tension with the community.
If they’re going to modify it for the 3rd track? Did they source proper stones to make everything match the historic structure?
 #1585547  by Head-end View

I doubt the Village of Garden City will want to make the underpass any wider than it is now. They probably want to keep it as difficult as possible for people to enter a residential neighborhood in their idyllic village.
 #1586050  by MACTRAXX

K&K: Interesting news...Let's see what the Village of Garden City's next move will be...
The "stonewalling" concerning the Denton Avenue/Tanners Pond Road Bridge has to end...
Delaying completion of the entire Third Track Project by this dispute is the wrong way to settle
this problem...The MTA should have the option on the table to permanently close off the underpass
unless GC and the adjacent municipalities work with the MTA and 3TC on the new replacement bridge.
Rational thoughts should prevail here...MACTRAXX
 #1586126  by Head-end View

Today's Newsday on Page A-8 has the latest story. A State Supreme Court judge has again ordered the Village to issue the work permits. The judge sided with LIRR stating that no actual promises had been made about the location of the utility poles in question.

Yeah okay, let's see what if anything happens now.
 #1586137  by eolesen

LIRR doesn't need permits to modify their own infrastructure, but they can't block roads or impede surface traffic without coordinating with the affected municipality i.e. a permit...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1586285  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: The LIRR and 3TC are going "Full Speed Ahead" on the Denton Avenue/Tanners Pond Road Bridge
Replacement - Starting Tuesday December 7th the underpass is to be closed to vehicles to begin construction.
Further information along with a 3TC link is available in the Third Track Project topic postings...MACTRAXX
 #1586595  by Head-end View

Today's Newsday reports that the Village of Garden City is appealing the recent court decision that ruled in LIRR's favor. So now MTA is talking about erecting a temporary bridge to meet the Dec. 2022 project completion since it looks like the legal case is going to drag out for some time yet. Round and round the B/S goes........