Railroad Forums 

• Return To Tri-Weekly; Any Foundation?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1585289  by Railjunkie

eolesen wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:58 pm Cannabis doesn't have any real impairment effects beyond 12-18 hours either.

Congress could fix this if they wanted to, and give directives to FRA, FTA and FAA to cease testing for THC or cannabis.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
If you saw the list of OTC meds I have to be careful taking before work, dont mix some (why you would???) give your self plenty of time on the others. Because if you get popped on a random, POOF there goes 100k. No coming back either. There is no way the electric lettuce gets added to the ok list.
 #1585296  by eolesen

Not so sure about that. It's one of the few issues with fairly wide bipartisan support.

Over a third of the states have already legalized recreational use, and most of those are blue states. Biden and Schumer both support removing it from the controlled substances Schedule 1.

#1585300  by Erie-Lackawanna

Alcohol is legal, too, but get caught with it in your blood on a random and you’re out of service. Same is true for cannabis in those certain locales where it’s legal (which, by the way, is nowhere when the Federal Government is involved).

And that’s how it should be…everywhere. I, for one, don’t want to put my life in the hands of someone who just finished smoking his/her way to a better day.

Disagree if you want, but I’m pretty sure the Federal Government isn’t going to legalize/permit use of cannabis (or any mind-altering substance) by transportation workers…ever.

Jim
 #1585309  by Railjunkie

eolesen wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:03 pm Not so sure about that. It's one of the few issues with fairly wide bipartisan support.

Over a third of the states have already legalized recreational use, and most of those are blue states. Biden and Schumer both support removing it from the controlled substances Schedule 1.

Even in those states as a transportation employee you get popped on a random and come up hot you have some splanin to do. Amtrak has made it quite clear they do not care if its legal in your state you still cant use. I have bad joints and would love to try a creme but I do not and cannot trust the claims of THC free. I will wait till I am retired.
 #1585317  by nomis

Mod Note: and lets get back to the choo choos ...
 #1585812  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:58 pm Yesterday, a "Grand Slam".

Observed:

#3(28)
#4(26)
#5(28)
#6(26)

All had normal consists; no expansion for additional Thanx passenger loadings.
I would think tomorrow's 4 and 6 at your observation spot would be more telling.
 #1585863  by danib62

From my experience that "other site" will generate 200 posts in one day on a topic grounded in absolute nothingness, I wouldn't take it too seriously.
 #1586037  by Gilbert B Norman

Well today, the "combined Super Chief/El Capitan, City of LA, Golden State" aka #3(2) was all of SIX cars (2 Slpr, 2 Coach, Diner, Lounge). Same for #4(30) except it had a PV in consist (60ML).

Somehow, I think one must say that thanks to COVID, the Lounge remains. Otherwise it would be gone.
 #1586149  by Gilbert B Norman

This paywalled Washington Post (courtesy of Seattle Times) material certainly suggests "they mean business":

Fair Use:
The railroad is expected to publish a revised service schedule by mid-December to reflect possible cuts, according to Amtrak. In a memo to workers last month, chief executive William J. Flynn said the railroad is preparing “for the possibility that some number of employees will choose not to get vaccinated and will therefore be leaving the company, which could necessitate some temporary reductions of Amtrak service.”

The company said in the memo that 88.2% of its roughly 17,000 workers had been vaccinated late last month, and projected an additional 6% were on track to comply this month. Amtrak said Friday it expects the number “to be slightly higher” by the January deadline.
If the six car 3-4 I noted immediately is representative of the present demand, who away from the advocacy community really cares?
 #1586177  by Gilbert B Norman

After observing #5(4), I'm here to report that the "combined Coloradan/Exposition Flyer, Overland, California Limited" remains at its previously reported seven car normal consist.
 #1586196  by John_Perkowski

GBN: 3/4 are the current equivalent of the 1950 California Limited … no longer a front rank train in any way shape or form.

And even then, Fred Harvey served better food with a greater variety than Amtrak knows how to do anymore!