Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1586106  by WashingtonPark

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 pm So they are going to be doing those demolition debris trains? I hope so. Only thing is what happens when that’s done? Does CMSL get the line then? Cause if passenger excursions are out of the picture, the BPIT is almost perfect for car storage. I say move the cars out there so they can get their Cape May Branch going eventually. All those cars gotta go somewhere if that line ever reopens.
That was just a guess. Nobody told me that. NJT can't give rights to track they don't own. Why would CMSL run the storage cars all the way down to Beasley's Point? Just leave them on the OC track. NJT will never use it in anybody's lifetime reading this.
 #1586109  by Bracdude181

The line to Ocean City is severed from the main and is in horrible shape. The rails are also missing for at least a mile past where the industrial track begins. The only other place they can go is at some point south of Tuckahoe but I have no idea how much space they have. Plus there’s railroad crossings out there. Wouldn’t anything stored near them trip the circuits?
 #1586123  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:23 pm The line to Ocean City is severed from the main and is in horrible shape. The rails are also missing for at least a mile past where the industrial track begins. The only other place they can go is at some point south of Tuckahoe but I have no idea how much space they have. Plus there’s railroad crossings out there. Wouldn’t anything stored near them trip the circuits?
Relay boxes for a grade crossing have cut out switches. I've cut out crossing signals a few times when my train was on an approach circuit on the BR&W laying over for passengers at special events. Turn them back on when the train is ready to depart.
 #1586125  by Bracdude181

I know, but once south of Tuckahoe the gaps between crossings are not big at all except for like 2 areas. Way more space on the industrial track due to the larger gaps between roads, plus whatever siding space is available at BL England.

Did not know you work for BRW, do you do any work for C&D? I’m chasing their Toys For Tots train tomorrow so maybe we’ll bump into each other lol.
 #1586133  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:20 pm I know, but once south of Tuckahoe the gaps between crossings are not big at all except for like 2 areas. Way more space on the industrial track due to the larger gaps between roads, plus whatever siding space is available at BL England.

Did not know you work for BRW, do you do any work for C&D? I’m chasing their Toys For Tots train tomorrow so maybe we’ll bump into each other lol.
I volunteer with the Black River Railroad Historical Trust which operates the passenger trains on the BR&W. I'm only qualified as a conductor on that line. Last three years or so I have not be active in rail service, only administration as the Trust's representative on the URHS board of directors.
 #1586274  by pumpers

Just so we are all on the same page, CMSL already stored cars on and off from Tuckahoe all the way down to Woodbine, on what I imagine is single track. (you can look on Google Maps).
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:20 pm I know, but once south of Tuckahoe the gaps between crossings are not big at all except for like 2 areas. Way more space on the industrial track due to the larger gaps between roads, plus whatever siding space is available at BL England....
 #1586278  by Bracdude181

@pumpers Tuckahoe to Woodbine is the Cape May Branch, and it is the current location for their car storage since nothing can go past Woodbine due to vandalism of the tracks. Fine for right now, but if they ever go south of Woodbine again those cars have gotta go somewhere.

It is single track with sidings here and there but the sidings are kinda small. Short term storage cars could go there I guess.
 #1586356  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:28 pm Just curious, does your historical trust see any of C&Ds income? The website says they are affiliated with BRW.
No. The opposite. A small percentage of the Trust's ticket sales revenue is paid to C&D's subsidiary, BR&W, for the right to operate trains and store equipment on the property.
 #1588397  by Bracdude181

I believe the CMSLs local freight rights on the Beesleys Point Secondary took effect today. Provided Conrail does nothing with the Beesleys Point Industrial Track, this means CMSL now handles all freight that goes beyond Winslow on the secondary.

Would anyone know how often CMSL is going to bring cars to and from Winslow? Would like to see a freight train on that section of the line.
 #1589971  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:A front end loader, a steamroller and something else are parked next to the tracks at Union Ave.
As of 10am Friday. Looks like a construction crew is working on the shoulder of Union Ave well away from the tracks. Doesn't look Railroad related.