Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1576000  by SOCO11

The defunct power plant in New Bedford is going to be sold to a local group of investors that is going to work with the city to redevelop it into part of the Marine Commerce Terminal. The power plant was a major obstruction to bringing rail into the new terminal. With this news there is clear access for rail to the area albeit with some restored street running.
https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/se ... -facility/
 #1576091  by GP40MC1118

The former power plant site has three sidings into the plant. Straight in from the gate was where they unloaded poles and some transformers. Two tracks curved "east" towards the river out on the former coal docks.
 #1580698  by bostontrainguy

The reactivation of the line to Gold Medal Flour (with the possibility of use by the salt company) was discussed here a long long time ago. I just found this video that shows the clearing of the line. Interesting to see this actually happened but then . . . . crickets.

#1580763  by SOCO11

I have heard that MC plans to build using leftover materials from state. They should have plenty of usable materials left over from SCR. But if that doesn't work out I wonder when they will add the Battleship Cove station if current track upgrades stop at Fall River Depot? It is showing in SCR phase 2 which may never happen but if there was trackwork that close to Gold Medal it makes sense to keep going. It may just be me- but it seems that covered hopper traffic has picked up some over the years.
 #1580767  by bostontrainguy

After watching the video I thought that maybe what they found was why they halted things. We have all seen projects where after clearing the overgrowth they found things were in pretty good shape. Maybe this was a case where things were much worse than expected and that stopped things literally in its tracks. This is going to take a lot more work than expected.
 #1585356  by caduceus

I believe that was part of the trainset that derailed, and since replacements are coming soon it probably would have been scrapped anyways.
 #1585458  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Will be interesting to see what these MBTA coaches are going to be used for. This area where they have been placed on RR tracks is close to the end of the inactive Military line. The line is mostly overgrown from the Wye connection on the Otis Industrial track, even though it was brushed out about 3 years ago. Photo is of Northern section of the Otis Wye on 9/20/21 so MBTA isn't running any trips off Base anytime soon!

#1585462  by typesix

caduceus wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:16 pm I believe that was part of the trainset that derailed, and since replacements are coming soon it probably would have been scrapped anyways.
No, these were not in the derailment. The 01700s were in the derailment.
 #1586023  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Numerous bundles of new RR ties spotted on the Cape Main at Canal junction and also nearby on the Falmouth Secondary at Bell Road RR crossing area. Hyrail excavator with gripper for ties and brush cutter attachment parked close by so time will tell. The Falmouth Secondary / Otis Industrial track was just rehabilitated a little over a year ago by Railworks with new ties / ballast stone so will be watching to see where they are going to be used. Perhaps the crossing at Bell Road will be rebuilt or the long talked about Wye connection construction, though not likely.
 #1586818  by SkiScorcher88

malbojah wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:28 am Okay, who snuck a pair of MBTA coaches onto the base without clearing the MOW yet
Those MBTA coaches were transported by flatbed truck.
They will be used used by the Coast Guard for antiterrorism training.
 #1590179  by shepaug

From an old map of Eastern Massachusetts nice to see somebody saving something. Like re-habbing some old lines...(you-tube)

I tried to upload an image but seems not working. (or it would seem..linked to image?