Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1585955  by RailsEast

CMSL south Jersey news today on https://www.stb.gov/proceedings-actions/filings/.

"NJ Transit has agreed to grant local trackage rights to CMSL on a line
of railroad comprised of a portion of the Cape May Branch between MP 27.02± at Winslow
Junction and MP 53.0± at Tuckahoe, and the Ocean City Branch between MP 53.0± at Tuckahoe
and MP 58.7± at Palermo, a total distance of approximately 31.68 miles (the “Subject Trackage”)."
 #1585968  by Ken W2KB

The STB Notice states: " CMSL will provide local freight service over the Subject Trackage, in lieu of and with the consent of Conrail, with Conrail retaining limited overhead trackage and interchange rights." [emphasis added]

Thus it appears that Conrail will not operate over the trackage beyond limited (to/fromBeesely?) and the interchange likely would occur at Winslow since Conrail would not have to incur the expense of running to Tuckahoe.
 #1585991  by CR7876

CharlieL wrote:So, what's to stop CMSL from filing a Notice of Exemption for Lakehurst - Brown's Yard ?

Presuming the sand trains actually run again.

Personally, I'd like to see that grant for the FIT - Southern connection be used.
The consent of Conrail and NJT.
 #1586002  by pumpers

I searched the pdf from the STB site for "interchange". The 3rd of 5 hits was on the first full page of Exhibit B, Trackage Rights agreement, after the title pages. It says,

"WHEREAS, CMSL now desires to provide local freight service over the Subject Trackage, in lieu of Conrail, with Conrail continuing to exercise overhead operating rights over the Subject Trackage to reach its connection with the Beesley's Point Industrial Track at M.P. 58.7 +/-, which Conrail owns, and to interchange freight traffic with CMSL in the vicinity of Winslow Junction, subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein."

Note "vicinity of Winslow Junction". Just south of it, I would presume as noted by CR7876.
 #1586060  by Bracdude181

There’s something off about this whole thing though. Why didn’t CMSL get the Beeseleys Point Industrial Track as part of this whole thing? Now that BL England is gone why is Conrail holding onto the line? Palermo to Tuckahoe I understand because CMSL and Atlantic Sweetener are the only two customers on that section, but the BPIT? I don’t think they’d be holding onto that unless there’s something big planned for that line that would make them a whole lot of money...
 #1586101  by WashingtonPark

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:40 pm There’s something off about this whole thing though. Why didn’t CMSL get the Beeseleys Point Industrial Track as part of this whole thing? Now that BL England is gone why is Conrail holding onto the line? Palermo to Tuckahoe I understand because CMSL and Atlantic Sweetener are the only two customers on that section, but the BPIT? I don’t think they’d be holding onto that unless there’s something big planned for that line that would make them a whole lot of money...
Take this for what it's worth, but I was told the only reason CMSL wants the line is for car storage, where they make all their money. My guess is Conrail didn't give up the BP branch yet because the demolition will cause a lot of debris that will be moved out by rail, and with Conrail owning that bit of track they can cut CMSL out of the picture.
 #1586103  by Bracdude181

So they are going to be doing those demolition debris trains? I hope so. Only thing is what happens when that’s done? Does CMSL get the line then? Cause if passenger excursions are out of the picture, the BPIT is almost perfect for car storage. I say move the cars out there so they can get their Cape May Branch going eventually. All those cars gotta go somewhere if that line ever reopens.
 #1586104  by WashingtonPark

WashingtonPark wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:56 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:40 pm There’s something off about this whole thing though. Why didn’t CMSL get the Beeseleys Point Industrial Track as part of this whole thing? Now that BL England is gone why is Conrail holding onto the line? Palermo to Tuckahoe I understand because CMSL and Atlantic Sweetener are the only two customers on that section, but the BPIT? I don’t think they’d be holding onto that unless there’s something big planned for that line that would make them a whole lot of money...
Take this for what it's worth, but I was told the only reason CMSL wants the line is for car storage, where they make all their money. My guess is Conrail didn't give up the BPIT yet because the demolition will cause a lot of debris that will be moved out by rail, and with Conrail owning that bit of track they can cut CMSL out of the picture except for the $2500.00 round trip overhead fee. Also this appears to basically be an agreement between CMSL and NJT. NJT doesn't own the Beesley's Point IT so that wouldn't be part of the agreement.