• "RAISE" grants from DOT, 2021

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by kitchin

A.k.a. Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity, so you'll see a tilt towards that, but lots of traditional public works projects too. In other words, it includes trails. I'll focus on Amtrak and other passenger rail, though there are freight rail grants too.

Capital Grants https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... Sheets.pdf
Relevant to Amtrak or commuter rail or rail transit:
  • Trinidad CO, Southwest Chief La Junta Route Restoration Program
  • Yuma AZ, Multi-Modal Transportation Center
  • Palatka FL, Multimodal Transportation Hub and Complete Streets Connectivity
  • Springfield IL, Rail Improvements Project
  • Detroit MI, New Center Intermodal Facility Project
  • Derby-Shelton CT, Multimodal Transportation Center
  • Brooklyn NY, Improvements at Broadway Junction Complex
  • Boston MA, Blue Hill Avenue Multimodal Corridor Project
  • Charlotte NC, Multimodal Transit Hub
  • Johnstown PA, Iron-to-Arts Corridor Project
  • Philadelphia PA, 19th & 37th Street Trolley Station Improvements
Planning Grants https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... Sheets.pdf
Similar stuff to the above, plus three highway caps:
  • Atlanta GA, The Stitch – Capping I-75/85
  • Bronx NY, Reimagining the Cross Bronx Expressway
  • El Paso TX, I-10 Deck Plaza Planning Study
  • Charleston WV, Capital Connector Project (possible streetcar)
  • Oklahoma City OK, Regional Transit Corridors to Promote Economic Development
    and Equity Inclusion (I'm guessing more likely BRT than rail)
  by njtmnrrbuff

All of those projects mentioned under the rail/transit subcategory are key. However, since this forum is obviously about Amtrak, I'm going to discuss some of the Amtrak related ones.

1. The SW Chief La Junta Route Restoration Program-it would certainly nice to have both Amtrak's Southwest Chief and BNSF freight movements to get back the faster speeds that they had years ago over that street of the Transcon. I'm sure that this is also a spot where Trains 3 and 4 have lost a lot of time off of the schedule because of track conditions. Plus Amtrak has had to probably wait in that area for many freight trains to pass.

2. Springfield, IL, Rail Improvements Project-this will be a major benefit to those passengers traveling on Amtrak trains between any stations from Chicago to St. Louis and continuing south of St. Louis on the Texas Eagle. It sounds like trains will be able to move a little faster on approach to and exit from the Springfield Depot. The fact that grade crossings will be eliminated in Downtown Springfield, especially where the station will be, will reduce traffic jams on streets that are underneath the tracks. Something tells me that two Amtrak trains will be able to serve Springfield, Il Station at the same time. While it's a start to see 90 mph running from Joliet to Alton, it will be even better to have that stretch upgraded to 110 mph. It sounds like that will happen on the outskirts of Springfield.

3. Charlotte, NC Multimodal Hub-the largest city in North Carolina should have the Amtrak Station more centrally located. Right now, the current station is about two miles and it sounds like there is very little area mass transit that connects from the station to the downtown area. Eventually, more Carolinian and Piedmont trains will be added to the schedule, resulting in more people making trips from Charlotte northward. I believe that there are sports arenas very close to where the transportation center will be in Downtown Charlotte. That would enable sports fans of the teams that play in Charlotte to take the train to the game.
  by Bob Roberts

Unfortunately the Charlotte RAISE grant is not rail related (its not actually going to Charlotte Gateway station). The project mentioned above is to to raze and rebuild (underground) our city bus hub (Charlotte Transportation Center or CTC) which is about 3/4 mile from the Gateway station site. The bus hub is connected to Gateway station via the new, incredibly poorly run, street car (the Gold Line) and sits on the Blue Line light rail.

Meanwhile at Gateway, track and signal work has been fully funded by a combination of local and federal grants and is nearly complete. The station building itself has yet to begin, but this article suggests it is fully funded and should be complete in "early 2023" (I doubt it). The article goes on to say that the earliest passenger service will start will be "2024 or 2025". Gateway will have a secondary city bus hub and a connection to the still in development (and moving very slowly) Silver Line light rail (along with the Gold Line streetcar).

Gateway station will provide good access to Panthers (and MLS) games at Bank of America stadium, while that stadium lasts. The new owner of the Panthers is pushing for a new stadium, the most likely site is about 1/3 mile away from existing and should still be walkable from Gateway.

I am a frequent Piedmont rider and can't wait to use Gateway. The lack of transit to the current Charlotte station is a significant problem.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 43546.html
Last edited by nomis on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed immediate quote
  by njtmnrrbuff

I might be making a trip to Charlotte in the next five years and when I do, I would take the train. My hotel would probably be very close to Downtown Charlotte and would love to be able to get dropped off on Amtrak within a few blocks from where I am staying rather than two miles up the road. I might even use the Piedmont to get there part of the way. If the current schedule of Northbound Crescent Train # 20 becomes permanent, then I might even look into taking 20 back from Charlotte although that departure time is still very early.
  by kitchin

Well the northbound Crescent is often late. :)