Railroad Forums 

• Greatest Rail Opportunity in 50 Years

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1584591  by eolesen

Its not just the stores.... I'd guess less than 1% of consumer/retail goods manufacturers have anybsort of rail capability today.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1584602  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Olesen, even if Jeff's DXH6 Fulfillment Center in Downers Grove, IL does not have any rail access, be it assured he uses rail in his operations. I have seen Big Smiley trailers on trains by my house, and further I've seen same going into that Center and noted a Z reporting mark on such.
 #1584606  by eolesen

Sure, you'll see Amazon trailers on trains, and I'm sure more than a few containers are filled with shipments heading to Amazon, but just about every one of them will be behind a truck for that first-last mile into the distro centers.

I don't know of any major distribution center that's receiving container trains. I've seen a few that do receive carloads (e.g. Menards in Eau Claire, WI routinely takes centerbeams with lumber). But they're the exception more than the norm.
 #1585718  by west point

IMHO Extra locos will enable trains to maintain closer to max speeds there by reducing the number of train crew. No more going out law requiring a dog catch crew. That would enable those crews to move freight.
For those trains that require DPUs the use of DPUs with more mid train locos may eliminate some train breaks.
 #1585722  by kitchin

eolesen wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:56 pmI don't know of any major distribution center that's receiving container trains. I've seen a few that do receive carloads (e.g. Menards in Eau Claire, WI routinely takes centerbeams with lumber). But they're the exception more than the norm.
https://www.kimley-horn.com/project/hom ... -facility/ and other Google results "distribution center with rail". Sure the Home Despot is trucking stuff from there to stores, but also doing online fulfillment.
 #1585727  by eolesen

Having one or two tracks for lumber loads at Home Depot is simply the same approach Menards is taking, no?

Show me a DC taking containers or boxcars daily by rail..... I don't think they exist for consumer goods. You might see it for building materials or agricultural equipment, but not the stuff likely to end up on the shelves at Kohls, Macy's, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Kroger, or Walgreens.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1585742  by kitchin

That's just the first Google result, and it doesn't say it's only for lumber. But it might be. The Despot is a lot bigger than Menards.

Even railroads get materials delivered by truck of course. And trains are not quite as fast at trucks, port to warehouse. (Speed/location vs. efficiency: barge, train, truck, plane.) The NS terminal in Norfolk has its fuel delivered by truck. The economics do shift over time. The railroad websites are promoting the right catchwords. Etc. Etc.

The UPS and other trailers riding on the rails might have as much do with driver shortages as other costs.
 #1587061  by Engineer Spike

This post got me thinking while reading through it. I agree that now is a great time to pick up more business. I don’t think that it will happen. Having boots on the ground, plus a lifetime in logistics, both in motor freight and rail, there are some observations which I’d like to share. First, the railroads have been cutting staff since PSR started. It has not just been by furlough. One tactic has been to discipline workers for petty and often arbitrary infractions. After a couple of these things get escalated, having had multiple “infractions “ in a row. Then they dismiss the worker, and after a month or two offer the job back. The terms are any additional infraction will result in dismal, but without the benefit of an investigation, nor grounds to appeal. This creates a de facto at will workforce. This is at such an extreme that many newly hired employees get a taste of the workplace toxicity, and seek employment elsewhere. There was a new hire class on a interchanging carrier where everyone quit. With the numerous employment opportunities available now, who in his right mind would stay?

A second detriment to increased business is that capacity has been eliminated. You can read on these forums how countless yards and lines have been closed. Where are these extra cars going to be handled? Many remaining facilities are now at capacity.

A third point is about the extreme train lengths. One poster above said that the solution is to simply add more power to each train. That’s fine. Why didn’t they think of that? The problem is that lines and yards weren’t designed for these monsters. On the main lines many of the sidings aren’t long enough. Sometimes a train has to hold at a meeting point for hours, just because the next 2-3 sidings cannot hood the length.

Yard capacity for long trains is another major drawback. Instead of digesting 2- normal sized trains, twice as many cars need switching at once. Sometimes there isn’t room to make the necessary classifications. If smaller, more frequent trains were run, then an inbound train could easily be classified, and the cars added to outbound trains, clearing up space for the next train. With less frequency, a missed connection means extended dwell time.

Right now is the end of the fiscal quarter. I’m seeing train frequency diminished, which reduces train crew and locomotive starts. In order to make the operating metrics look good, cars are held just before the yard’s AEI reader. This makes the dwell time in that particular yard not look so bad.

PSR is a smoke show to make the numbers look better to investors. I’ve heard that its purpose was partially due to the curtailed demand for some commodities, like coal. This was mentioned above. I know that railroad carriers are under pressure from investors, as well as to make the cost of capital. I’ve been saying for years that you don’t get a home run every time at bat. On the same token a large unit unit train doesn’t come about 100% of the time. The STB chairman has stated that a happy medium needs to be found. The operation needs to cater to investors, workers, and customers.
 #1587063  by Bracdude181

“ This is at such an extreme that many newly hired employees get a taste of the workplace toxicity, and seek employment elsewhere.”

I’m not sure where you’ve seen this going on but I will say that’s exactly what’s been going on up here in Conrail North Jersey for years now. The lack of reliable power doesn’t help either. Imagine going out to switch 100 cars at a major customer and the only power you’ve got are two engines. One can barely run light let alone pull cars, and the other one spews oil everywhere! On the tracks, the steps and walkways, etc.
 #1587105  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Clerk (assume that's how your handle. bracdude was derived), one or the other road CSX, NS, or maybe CP, has provided the junk motive power you note. Only you know who are the culprits.

To my knowledge, Conrail no longer owns any equipment.
 #1587113  by Gilbert B Norman

Engineer Spike wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:39 pm The STB chairman has stated that a happy medium needs to be found. The operation needs to cater to investors, workers, and customers.
Mr. Spike, when I think back on my eleven year railroad career (70-81), here is a song that often comes to mind:

https://youtu.be/4yuwhUx35Uc
 #1588370  by Engineer Spike

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:21 pm
Engineer Spike wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:39 pm The STB chairman has stated that a happy medium needs to be found. The operation needs to cater to investors, workers, and customers.
Mr. Spike, when I think back on my eleven year railroad career (70-81), here is a song that often comes to mind:

https://youtu.be/4yuwhUx35Uc
It's amazing how a company can go from being a paradise to work for down to what it has become. I too have given over 20 years to the industry, and presently have been doing footwork towards a new career in another aspect of the logistics field. I don't feel that it was the best years of my life, as I think the best is yet to come.