Railroad Forums 

• New B&P Activity in Orchard Park

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1585539  by SST

SST wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:04 am I'll have to take a look back there. There was power line and tower construction back there at GJ for awhile. There was concrete blocks there back then. Without a perfect view from Rt400, it looks clear but can't tell further up towards the switch. Visitation is needed. Something to do. :-D
Finally got out to the Y at GJ to see if they cleared the concrete blocks. Googles aerial photo shows the blocks. But since the new towers and power lines are completed, everything has been removed. Track actually looks new and welded.

This picture is at the south end of the Y looking north. Further Behind me the track resumes jointed rail but from this switch to the GJ switch is welded. The lock on this switch says, “Track out of service.”

This photo is further up the eastern track with GJ in sight. All is clear.
 #1585570  by videobruce

The 1st pic, is that coming off the old West Seneca Branch?
The 2nd pic, is that looking south?
 #1585578  by bkrizzle19

SST wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:12 pm
SST wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:04 am I'll have to take a look back there. There was power line and tower construction back there at GJ for awhile. There was concrete blocks there back then. Without a perfect view from Rt400, it looks clear but can't tell further up towards the switch. Visitation is needed. Something to do. :-D
Finally got out to the Y at GJ to see if they cleared the concrete blocks. Googles aerial photo shows the blocks. But since the new towers and power lines are completed, everything has been removed. Track actually looks new and welded.

This picture is at the south end of the Y looking north. Further Behind me the track resumes jointed rail but from this switch to the GJ switch is welded. The lock on this switch says, “Track out of service.”

Great pics and intel, might have to go poke around down there myself as well. I've never been down near the Y like that what's the best way to access the area you were in?
 #1585583  by SST

videobruce wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:27 am The 1st pic, is that coming off the old West Seneca Branch?
The 2nd pic, is that looking south?
The first picture is pointing north. East Aurora to the right or Buffalo to the left. The second picture is pointing towards the east towards East Aurora. This is the trackage that was blocked off and covered with heavy-duty plywood as the construction equipment drove over it. I've posted those pictures somewhere on this forum but I couldn't find the title they were posted under.

I'm not certain which ROW this use to be.....PRR? I believe the NYC ROW is now a walkway/nature preserve with an observation deck recently built overlooking the swamp. Pretty full this time.
 #1585584  by SST

bkrizzle19 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:14 am
SST wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:12 pm

Great pics and intel, might have to go poke around down there myself as well. I've never been down near the Y like that what's the best way to access the area you were in?
Here is how I accessed this area. From Union Rd head west. Turn right on Birchwood Ave and go all the way to the end. Make a left on Meyer Rd until you cross the track. Storage track on the left and the Y on the right.

20 some years ago when I first started walking this area, GJ use to have a couple of white dwarf signals that remained lit for many years. If you knew where to look from the 400 expressway, you could see them. There were a couple of PRR signals there that were also lit.....gone. Well, just glad the B&P is still operating the line.
 #1585589  by videobruce

I was only out there once probably 40 or so years ago to post the Tower (never worked there, no loss, too far to drive 5 days a week). Not the easiest to find or drive to. I wasn't sure what was what by those pics.

The 1st pic was the NYC Gardenville Branch when the yard was still open (before Frontier Yard opened), then became the West Seneca Branch when the thru track was closed to Depew (more or less time wise). That spiked switch was the West end of the wye. North to DM & FW to the left and the loop to GJ.

Than 2nd pic that track & siding goes south to Gravity (GR IIFC), Machias & Olean into PA on the old PRR.
 #1591883  by bkrizzle19

These cars are now disappearing just as fast as they came in. They are confirmed no longer spanning over Abbott Road as well as Milestrip through OP. There remains the string furthest south down towards the village as I drove over them on the 219 but could not see how far north they still remain. Wouldn't count on the rest being there much longer.
 #1594321  by bkrizzle19

I stand corrected on the last update. As of Sunday 3/20 the string of hoppers did not cross over the Southwestern Rd. viaduct but by Wednesday 3/23 another new long string of cars had been moved back into town. This string now stretches a good way up along California Rd and ends right before the Milestrip Rd. viaduct.
 #1611188  by videobruce

FWIW;

Radio conversation 2 days ago regarding the cars stored on the Orchard Park branch (if that is what it is called). It appears they are getting ready to move those cars shortly. Checking track condition and a count od 120 cars was heard thou I didn't catch the entire conversation.